April 18, 2024, 10:38:11 AM

Author Topic: Aggressive armor? Let me explain.  (Read 12830 times)

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Aggressive armor? Let me explain.
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:21:39 AM »
I Believe that it is currently possible to cast equipment onto an enemy mage. I looked and couldnt find anything to the contrary, but i admittedly just had 4 teeth pulled and the pain relievers the doc has me on are making it tough to recall anything specific. So if the following is impossible feel free to have a cheap laugh at my goofy, borderline stupid strategy ideas. if they do work they are situational at best. This all started with me looking to find a use for Bearskin.

Ok so assuming that one is running rust (cuz its awesome) because it doesnt actually require the target to have armor to stick, like corrode tokens do. Also assuming the opponent already has a chest piece you dont like due to a -2 effect or something similar (harshforge much). One can cast a bearskin over the armor the opponent has (Dragonscale, stormdrake, harshforge ideally with a rune on it! {Though i dont know if the rune gets destroyed or not, it should but im not certain since you can only place each once a game}) and then reveal rust to negate the 2 armor. yes its an expensive 9 mana with the rust reveal, but it nets you their loss of the element -2/-3 and its only about 1 to 3 mana more expensive than the armor itself and you could make them lose a possible rune, damage barrier, or harshforge bonus!
If they want the old armor back they need to either recast it (returning it to your own spellbook to just re apply the next turn for 6 mana [that gets around nullify as well]) wasting a quick action. Or they have to dissolve it so you dont get it back when they re equip the desired piece.

The Same trick can be applied for even less mana with the novice leather gloves and boots. Got a beastmaster or druid up against the walls but they have eagleclaw boots? cast leather boots on them for 2 mana and swap those eagleclaws away for a turn. the rust will negate the armor gain and you've only spent 2 mana (plus the rust i know but its assumed to be there for all these combos.) it works for reflex boots and bracers too. Keep a leather belt and throw that on your opponent once they put on the regrowth belt, make them recast.

I dont know, heh whaddya think? should i wait longer before posting after my next trip to the dentist or does this at least make sense? Its been making me chuckle all day.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Aggressive armor? Let me explain.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 06:17:44 AM »
It's such a good idea they made it illegal! :)

You can cast equipment on your opponent, but only if the slot is empty.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 06:55:07 AM »

Yep. And it won't prevent them from replacing it with equipment of their own.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 07:07:06 AM »

Yep. And it won't prevent them from replacing it with equipment of their own.

I bet this will change in the future ;)

I presume one day, there will be "harmfull" armor you can cast on your opponent that you cannot remove without dissolve or a variant. Like a curse.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 07:46:27 AM »
I Believe that it is currently possible to cast equipment onto an enemy mage. I looked and couldnt find anything to the contrary, but i admittedly just had 4 teeth pulled and the pain relievers the doc has me on are making it tough to recall anything specific. So if the following is impossible feel free to have a cheap laugh at my goofy, borderline stupid strategy ideas. if they do work they are situational at best. This all started with me looking to find a use for Bearskin.

Ok so assuming that one is running rust (cuz its awesome) because it doesnt actually require the target to have armor to stick, like corrode tokens do. Also assuming the opponent already has a chest piece you dont like due to a -2 effect or something similar (harshforge much). One can cast a bearskin over the armor the opponent has (Dragonscale, stormdrake, harshforge ideally with a rune on it! {Though i dont know if the rune gets destroyed or not, it should but im not certain since you can only place each once a game}) and then reveal rust to negate the 2 armor. yes its an expensive 9 mana with the rust reveal, but it nets you their loss of the element -2/-3 and its only about 1 to 3 mana more expensive than the armor itself and you could make them lose a possible rune, damage barrier, or harshforge bonus!
If they want the old armor back they need to either recast it (returning it to your own spellbook to just re apply the next turn for 6 mana [that gets around nullify as well]) wasting a quick action. Or they have to dissolve it so you dont get it back when they re equip the desired piece.

The Same trick can be applied for even less mana with the novice leather gloves and boots. Got a beastmaster or druid up against the walls but they have eagleclaw boots? cast leather boots on them for 2 mana and swap those eagleclaws away for a turn. the rust will negate the armor gain and you've only spent 2 mana (plus the rust i know but its assumed to be there for all these combos.) it works for reflex boots and bracers too. Keep a leather belt and throw that on your opponent once they put on the regrowth belt, make them recast.

I dont know, heh whaddya think? should i wait longer before posting after my next trip to the dentist or does this at least make sense? Its been making me chuckle all day.

Casting equipment on your opponent is specifically mentioned in the Academy (or was it Domination?) rulebook - along with a few other things that I found odd regarding "future" cards/abilities/effects.  I can envision "cursed" equipment spells that might say something like this:

"Armor -1.  When you replace this equipment by casting another equipment spell in the same slot, you must pay an additional 3 mana or your equipment spell is destroyed."

Still allows for Dissolving your cursed equipment, but you pay a penalty to just cast over it.  You could also use a cheap equipment as a Dissolve substitute if you choose not to pay the tax.

*edit* Equipment with the "curse" subtype would make a lot of sense for a Warlock or other Dark mage.  Consider if it "granted" Flame +3... maybe call it "Napalm-soaked rags" or something.  Yikes!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:57:31 AM by iNano78 »

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 08:36:00 AM »
*edit* Equipment with the "curse" subtype would make a lot of sense for a Warlock or other Dark mage.  Consider if it "granted" Flame +3... maybe call it "Napalm-soaked rags" or something.  Yikes!!

^this  ;D I think with some brainstorming you could have tons of cool ideas like this.

Armor -1 seems weird though.. how??

When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 10:50:31 AM »

^this  ;D I think with some brainstorming you could have tons of cool ideas like this.

Armor -1 seems weird though.. how??

Maybe something like a spiked collar.  Doesn't really hurt you until somebody hits it, then it essentially adds to the damage (or reduces your armor rating).  Of course, the game text would have to be "Armor -1 (to a minimum of 0)" to avoid negative value issues.  *edit* Or "Attacks that target you get Piercing +1" since that's basically the same thing and is already well defined.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 10:57:17 AM by iNano78 »

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 12:36:37 PM »
There's an armor that grants lightning+X to its wearer, so You could do it if enemy doesn't have an armor yet.
You may also do this with eagleclaw boots before casting repulse.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:31 PM »
There's an armor that grants lightning+X to its wearer, so You could do it if enemy doesn't have an armor yet.

Hah!

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:20 PM »

Hah!
Ha ha!
Problem is that this armor grants its wearer damage barrier. :P

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
I don't know if I'd design a specific piece of cursed armor to cast on your opponent, but rather create an incantation that targets and curses a specific piece of armor. It'd kinda be like Rust, but cost a little more (since it can't be dispelled, and since it could stack with Rust and work alongside a Disable). It'd give a condition marker with some kind of removal cost (maybe 2 mana). I wonder if this wouldn't be something that Otto or the Goblin Builder might be able to remove.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:31:10 PM »
Imagine using cloak of shadows on an enemy warlock to stop their battleforge from equipping them or something. Hmm, probably better to use a wall or something for that instead.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2015, 06:53:01 AM »
Or Blur. Is Blur targetable on non-friendly creatures?
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 07:51:05 AM »
Or Blur. Is Blur targetable on non-friendly creatures?
Yes, it is. It has corporeal creature as his target. So You can cast Blur on enemy and reveal it during deployment phase when enemy is targeted with equipment spell by forge.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
Heh, clever! It makes your opponent harder to target, of course, but that only lasts till you hit once; then you fail to pay the cost of sustaining it and it goes away.