Mage Wars > World and Lore

Official Mage Wars Lore: The Laws of Magic

<< < (2/4) > >>

exid:

--- Quote from: Boocheck on September 23, 2015, 04:35:30 AM ---Very nice article. It would be cool, to get onto them right from the main page of Mage wars, not just from forums.

--- End quote ---

+1

Sailor Vulcan:
Thematically speaking, why can equipment only be cast on mages and not on other creatures?

DaFurryFury:
To be quite honest, I feel like the lore is being written with too much intent to make the game play rules make sense. When I read lore, I want a rich and flavorful explanation of the world were fighting in. You don't have to make every rule in the game make sense. I.E: "if a creature dies during combat or while still attuned to the summoning Mage, its corpse will remain for awhile before dissipating later. (Allowing necromancers to make use of these clone corpses during the course of a battle.)" This statement is so forced and trite that it kinda ruined the whole article for me. It could just have easily said that the necromancers or Etheria call upon used construct energy to craft again his creatures of darkness after the have dissipated from the arena. In fact, I would rather the idea of summoning actually be summoning the creature it's self because I don't want to be the guy who play fights shadows of something cool, I want to be the guy who tames the power of Adramelech himself and calls him to do my bidding.

The explanations about the spell matrices are kinda interesting because it actually flows with game play mechanics of the enchantments, it doesn't feel as derived as to why legendary creatures are legendary. These are the kinds of things that don't need explanation. A creature is legendary because you can't have two of them, and the reason you can't have two is because they are legendary! That may seem over simplified but not every game play rule need a story based reason. Just let lore be lore and game play be game play.

I could say more but I think I've over-made my point. I'm not saying it's necessarily bad but I feel like it's a missed opportunity to just let the imagination take over and really write about the magic of Etheria instead of justifying the rulebook.

Sailor Vulcan:

--- Quote from: DaFurryFury on September 29, 2015, 02:03:50 AM ---
In fact, I would rather the idea of summoning actually be summoning the creature it's self because I don't want to be the guy who play fights shadows of something cool, I want to be the guy who tames the power of Adramelech himself and calls him to do my bidding.

--- End quote ---

A rift opened in the arena, allowing an incursion into our realm by the great and powerful king of demons and lord of fire himself. The spectators screamed in terror and fled, trampling over each other in their desperation to escape. Adramelech pointed his cruel finger at them, and they caught fire one by one. He turned to the warlock who had summoned him.

"Human."

"Yes, my lord?"

"Why am I here?"

The warlock gulped. He couldn't say it.

"Answer me!" the lord of fire boomed. "WHY AM I HERE?"

"To help me destroy that pathetic priestess over there?"

Across the arena, a Priestess of Asyra was shaking in rage and fear, glaring defiantly at the Lord of Fire and the heathen who had summoned him.

Adramelech pointed his cruel finger at the priestess. She screamed as she burst into flames, and all present knew that no water could stop her from burning.

The Lord of Fire turned back to the warlock.

"You thought you could control me? ME!? I am Adramelech! Lord of Fire, and prince of the Arraxian Crown! I will never serve a mere mortal. I am your master! Obey me! The warlock only nodded and said, "Your wish is my command, my lord."

"Good. Very good. In that case, hold still..."

He pointed his cruel finger at the foolish Mage who had summoned him.

"I no longer have any use for you now..."

In his last moments, the warlock desperately wished that things could have been different. If only he could have summoned a mere shadow of his master,  he could have used that to kill his enemies. A shadow would have been just as lethal to those he fought as the real thing but without all the liability of collateral damage and spectators fleeing the stadium before they could see him triumph.

The warlock burned. The Lord of Fire laughed.

ringkichard:
Hey, your writing has really improved in the time you've been here!  :D Nice work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version