April 28, 2024, 02:30:29 PM

Author Topic: Necromancer minions and poison  (Read 3316 times)

Molrid

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Necromancer minions and poison
« on: September 21, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Necrominion[/spellbookname]
[mage]Necromancer[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNW02]4 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j11]1 x  Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ04]1 x  Graveyard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ01]1 x  Altar of Skulls[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC19]4 x  Venomous Zombie[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC12]1 x  Shaggoth-Zora[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC22]4 x  Zombie Brute[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC23]5 x  Zombie Crawler[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c23]1 x  Malacoda[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC08]4 x  Unstable Zombie[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC24]4 x  Zombie Minion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC10]1 x  Sardonyx, Blight of the Living[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC01]2 x  Acolyte of the Bog Queen[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e20]2 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ05]1 x  Libro Mortuos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ02]1 x  Death Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ03]1 x  Deathshroud Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNI06]3 x  Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]1 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]1 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI01]1 x  Drain Soul[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI04]1 x  Force Wave[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 113 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

some stuff aren't working (either promo or in the upcoming exp) those cards are gravikor,debilitate and plague.

Opening is
T1: Libro mortuos + Harmonize(r)
T2: Move one step forward, Graveyard + Harmonize(ur)
T3: Reveal Harmo and play meditation amulet and then use that
T4: start churning out zombies and use the amulet unless you need to equip some armor.

If you see alot of creatures from the opposing mage you can start at T4 with idol of pestilence and then try to get the altar of skulls up

Wanted to hear your guys thoughts

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer minions and poison
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »
Here are my thoughts on your build and opening:

1) Your opening is slow, and doesn't have good transition options if your opponent is aggressive.

2) Harmonize on Libro is bad. Use Death Ring instead. It's more efficient, and doesn't setup a strong 2 for 1 for your opponent.

3) If you want to play both the Graveyard and Libro, have a plan for how you're going to defend yourself if your opponent rushes you. If you're generating twice as many resources per round as your opponent, but they kill you on turn 5, you've over-committed to economy.

4) Altar of Skulls takes a LONG time to get going. I would either go for it right away or give up on it entirely.

5) Sardonyx is bad. If you want to play him anyway, include Sacrificial Altar. That way at least you can get some good burst damage out of the deal, and a way to get rid of him if the life drain is getting too painful.

6) I don't think you have enough defensive options. Only 2 cards that give armor, no Brace Yourself, no Agony, no Enfeeble, and no defenses. If you can stay away from your opponent or win damage races anyway, that might be okay, but with your proposed opening I don't see that happening against any aggressive mage. The walls help, but I don't think they're enough.

7) Add Teleport.

8) Even with 2 creature spawnpoints, you don't need that many creatures. If you drop 4-5 zombies, Malacoda, the Acolytes, and Sardonyx, you would still have a pretty heavy creature compliment, and you would free up 20+ points for other spells.

9) Add a way to prevent healing. Deathlock is probably the best option, since you don't include any healing. This will be huge against the Druid and Priestess, but can be relevant against any mage.

10) How do you plan on dealing with Kralathor?

11) Add some attack spells that will help you against conjurations. Zombies are kind of awful against conjurations, and with the number of creatures you want to churn out, Mordok's Obelisk + Suppression Orb could be annoying. Force Hammer and Hurl Boulder are the most obvious options, but you could use Fireball to simultaneously strengthen you against Kralathor.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 10:47:12 PM »
I don't wanna re state anything, so ill just point out one or two things i noticed. you only have one dispel, and one dissolve. You might be stuck in a bad way if someones got a pair of wands (elemental and mage of course) on, or if they have laid out a few defenses. I said i didn't wanna re state anything but having no teleport just exacerbates the problem of single dispel, Force hold and any curses become major problems if you cant remove them.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!

Molrid

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 01:57:34 AM »
Here are my thoughts on your build and opening:

1) Your opening is slow, and doesn't have good transition options if your opponent is aggressive.

2) Harmonize on Libro is bad. Use Death Ring instead. It's more efficient, and doesn't setup a strong 2 for 1 for your opponent.

3) If you want to play both the Graveyard and Libro, have a plan for how you're going to defend yourself if your opponent rushes you. If you're generating twice as many resources per round as your opponent, but they kill you on turn 5, you've over-committed to economy.

4) Altar of Skulls takes a LONG time to get going. I would either go for it right away or give up on it entirely.

5) Sardonyx is bad. If you want to play him anyway, include Sacrificial Altar. That way at least you can get some good burst damage out of the deal, and a way to get rid of him if the life drain is getting too painful.

6) I don't think you have enough defensive options. Only 2 cards that give armor, no Brace Yourself, no Agony, no Enfeeble, and no defenses. If you can stay away from your opponent or win damage races anyway, that might be okay, but with your proposed opening I don't see that happening against any aggressive mage. The walls help, but I don't think they're enough.

7) Add Teleport.

8) Even with 2 creature spawnpoints, you don't need that many creatures. If you drop 4-5 zombies, Malacoda, the Acolytes, and Sardonyx, you would still have a pretty heavy creature compliment, and you would free up 20+ points for other spells.

9) Add a way to prevent healing. Deathlock is probably the best option, since you don't include any healing. This will be huge against the Druid and Priestess, but can be relevant against any mage.

10) How do you plan on dealing with Kralathor?

11) Add some attack spells that will help you against conjurations. Zombies are kind of awful against conjurations, and with the number of creatures you want to churn out, Mordok's Obelisk + Suppression Orb could be annoying. Force Hammer and Hurl Boulder are the most obvious options, but you could use Fireball to simultaneously strengthen you against Kralathor.

Sounds like a good plan will try and modify it some when I get home from work. thanks for the input :)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 05:56:03 AM »
You run too many things.

Double spawnpoint (book and graveyard)
Sardonyx
Altar of SKulls
(Malacoda?)
Deathshroud staff
Damage curses

You cant support all those strategies in one spellbook, so choose.

Generally i dislike running a poisen strategy because if you get a mirror match against another necromancer then your dead before the game starts. In fact i think its a terrible design from AW to make the necromancer poisen immune from the basecard. It should have been a spell like druid barkskin or something similar to treebond.
Imagine they make the paladin immune to holy damage - have fun male priest.

Unlike sdouglas i actually think that the necromancer is the mage that needs the least armor cards of all the mages - atleast when running zombie strategy.
A zombie swarm will destroy anything that moves in range for a cloak of shadows protected necromancer.

Kralathor is generally overrated against zombies. I have found that double or even tripple spawnpoint (forge and meditation amulet) necromancer outperform Kralathor druid in lategame.

You definately need teleports.

I agree about harmonizes. They are not for the necromancer.