April 20, 2024, 05:32:39 AM

Author Topic: Mind Shield in Buddy System Decks  (Read 2931 times)

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Mind Shield in Buddy System Decks
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:01:37 PM »
I'm curious if anyone ever runs Mind Shield when playing a Buddy System deck that uses one or two big creatures. It seems like one of the most difficult things to deal with when playing a deck with just a couple of large creatures is sleep. It can be hard to effectively wake your buddy creature because it's such a waste of actions and because if you only have a few strong creatures, you risk greatly damaging the sleeping creature.

So has anyone made good use of Mind Shield? The reason it seems like such a good option is that your opponent can't just burn off the Mind Shield. In fact, you have the option to choose whether to reveal it, so if they cast a force push and decide it's not as big a threat as Sleep, you can just save it for Sleep. Also, it costs 0 to reveal. It's not a card I ever see in play, so I figure there's probably a downside that I'm not aware of. Thoughts?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mind Shield in Buddy System Decks
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 02:31:09 PM »
If they don't ever try to use a psychic spell on the creature, then it could be argued that it's kind of a wasted action. That being said, after some consideration I was just thinking I'd try mind shield for a while, since it seems superior to clear mind when dealing with mind control. When mind control is destroyed, it leaves a stun condition behind. Unfortunately, clear mind gets rid of psychic conditions FIRST before psychic enchantments. So mind shield seems like it's definitely better against mind control than clear mind is. On the other hand, clear mind is probably better for dealing with sleep, since that way it won't leave a daze afterwards. I personally think I'd rather go with mind shield, unless I'm facing a wizard, then clear mind. I only just realized that today, actually. Most forcemasters don't run seeking dispel, after all.

The other great thing about mind shield is that since it's not a mandatory enchant, it can't be baited like nullifies can. Now that I think of it, any forcemaster that relies more on psychic spells like sleep, charm and mind control might want to put in a seeking dispel in their deck, now that we've pointed out how good mind shield is, lol.

Also, force push is not a psychic spell, it's a force spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 05:01:18 PM »
Mind Shield is great! If you are just taking it for sleep though, I would suggest putting in a Wand Of Healing as it has a lot more uses.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

RomeoXero

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
The problem i have wirth Mind Shield is that its borderline useless unless one is building a book specifically to counter a forcemaster. If im building for versatility it gets tossed for 2 lvl 1s in school, or something i need more of, like nullify or surging wave.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
I love this game. Its awesome!