April 27, 2024, 06:00:57 PM

Author Topic: OCTGN Challenge Boards: WIN PRIZES. MageRoars League (UPDATE!!!!)  (Read 29721 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
OCTGN Challenge Boards: WIN PRIZES. MageRoars League (UPDATE!!!!)
« on: September 06, 2015, 05:23:50 AM »
Whaddup thugs and Mages alike.

Octgn has this AWESOME feature. It's called the Challenge boards. Basically, you can create a league in one of the games offered on octgn. Now, I'm sure you guys are used to destroying each other on the regular, but wouldn't you want to WIN something for all of your efforts? This league offers you that opportunity. Here are the rules:

1. Send me a PM to tell me that you are interested, and I will give you the details on how to join.

2. The League will run one game per week starting every thursday. You will be matched up randomly each and every week.

3. When you choose to enter, I will be giving you a list of 4 mages, one for each week. This will be randomly chosen from a list of all the mages, except for Wizard, because everyone would always want Wizard, and then there would be Wizard this, and Wizard that, and Wizards coming out of every hat.

Each week, you will choose one of your listed mages to build a book with, and you play your opponent with that chosen book. Careful though, win or lose, you are not allowed to play with that mage again for the rest of the league.

4. You will be given until the following thursday to complete your game with your opponent. That means once you receive your opponent, coordinate with them, find out when best you both can play. If you have not recorded within the week, I will have to give you both a loss. And I don't wanna do that:/ So only join if you are for sure you can set aside enough time to play!

This means you will receive your first opponent on October 1st. You need to report that game by 1200 EST October 8th, or you will receive a loss. That night of the eighth, you will receive your next opponent. On the 15th, make sure you report! Same with the 22nd! This will be your last standard game, and on the 30th of October, the day after the final recordings have been listed, the players with the highest ranking will go into a playoff. How that will be decided will depend on the number of players joined. If there is a single highest player, instead, he/she will receive winnings.

5. What are the winnings? Well, I'm a broke 20 something with bright eyes and high dreams, so what I want to do is get the winner his choice of MW arena playmats to keep. It's not much, I know, but Pepsi won't sponsor me yet, and my 12 step sponsor doesn't have the money. So, to the winner, goes a new playmat, a set of damage dice (to replace the damage tokens), and bragging rights!

PM if interested, at let's start Roaring!

EDIT:

First of all, guys, I want to offer you all a sincere apology. My life got to be 10 different kinds of hectic right around the time this league should have began. This is the fault of myself and my incredibly inconsistent time management skills. I didn't mean to give any false hope!!

So, with that being said, I am reformatting the structure of this tournament a little bit. Here are the current changes that are taking place:

1. The games to be taken place will be given 2 weeks to complete their games. This should be ample time to complete their game, with ample time to report.

2. We are no longer going to be going through the challenge boards. Because of my lack of knowledge in using the website, moderating through it's use seemed to be to be a bad idea. Instead, I will be handling the tournament on paper.

3. This will be a 16 man tournament. The player with the single most wins over 4 matches will be the overall winner. Any ties will be decided via sudden death. The overall winner will be given the playmat of that players choice, and bragging rights.

4. Sudden death will be decided at the time of it's need, and will be revealed to those players at that time. No pre planning!

5. The league will take place over 8 weeks, so 2 weeks per match. It will begin on Wednesday, 11/4, and end on 12/30. The schedule will be as follows:

10/22- the final date for joining the league. Admissions will be closed at noon on this day. Near the end of the day, you will receive the four random mages for you to build your books with. I would like the book of the first mage you choose to play with submitted to me (padawanofthegames@gmail.com) no later than 11/3. These will consist of all the mages in the game, with the exception of the Wizard. No Wizards (don't worry, I love the Wizard, but I want to see what a meta can bring with no Wizard in the mix).

11/4 This will be the day you will be given your first opponent. You are expected to get in touch with this opponent and arrange a date within the the next two weeks for you to get a game of Mage Wars in. Once this game is finished, I want a screenshot of the game sent to me via padawanofthegames@gmail.com, as well, I would like both the winner and the loser to tell me their thoughts about the game in a brief summary. What they thought they did correctly, what they thought they did incorrectly. Book design decisions. Strategy tips. This can be as short or as long as you desire, but what I want to accomplish here is a stream of consciousness that isn't just an announcer, or just a single players side of the story. At the end of the league, these thoughts will be made public, so just keep that in mind when deciding what to write. Two week should be enough time to get this all accomplished in your spare time, at least, that's the hope! As well, I would like all of the players during this time to submit to me the book of the mage they plan to play during the second round of the league. You will be playing a different mage than the one you played with during your first round game. For instance, if your four mages were:

Beastmaster
Priestess
Priest
Warlock

And you chose to play with the Beastmaster during your first round game, your second round you will have the choice of Priestess, Priest, and Warlock to choose from.

11/18 On this day you will be given your second opponent. Otherwise, proceed in exactly the same fashion for the second round as you did the first. During this time frame I would like the players to submit their books for the mages they plan to play in the third round of the league. Continuing from our example above, if the list of Mages I had were:

Beastmaster
Priestess
Priest
Warlock

And the mage I decided to play during the second round was the Warlock, I would then have the Priestess and the Priest to choose from.

12/2 On this day you will be given your third opponent. Again, this round is the same as the previous two. During this time frame I would like players to submit the books for the mage they will use in the final round of the league. Continuing from our example, if the mages we had to choose from are:

Beastmaster
Priest
Priestess
warlock

And the mage we chose to use in this round was the Priest, than the book we would submit for the final round would be the book of the Priestess.

12/16 This round will be the final round of play, but it will proceed exactly as normal.

12/30 Winner will be announced. If no winner has been found yet, sudden death with rules and players involved will be announced.

These are the spots that are free. If you would like to join, please email me at padawanofthegames@gmail.com, with "MageRoars 2015 League" as the subject header. This is sos I can knos whos yous is!

1. Dude
2. Sharkbait
3. Intangible0
4. Henry_ketchup
5. Puddnhead
6. theasaris
7. Arxiducs
8. halewijn
9. Mystery
10. Moldrid
11. Schwengott
12. Adoryc
13. Defran
14. Coshade

Again, sorry for the false start guys. It was bad timing on my part. But hopefully you can still have faith in me! I hope the best for all you out there, and good luck to you!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 12:02:37 PM by The Dude »
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: OCTGN Challenge Boards: WIN PRIZES. MageRoars League
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 06:00:40 AM »
So its four rounds cause you get four mages?

Or 4 per week you can choose from? I would rule priest out also? Why rule wizard out? If every player can anyway always play each mage one?

So it is league of Warlockx2,Warlordx2,Holyx2,Bmx2,FM,Druid,Necro (wizard), 11(12) rounds?

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 06:55:59 AM »
This will be randomly chosen from a list of all the mages, except for Wizard, because everyone would always want Wizard, and then there would be Wizard this, and Wizard that, and Wizards coming out of every hat.

No? I would not take the Wizard even if I can.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 09:02:44 AM »
Just have everyone play every mage once only so 12rounds. And you can only choose out of 4 that will be given to you for a particular round, i.e the last 3 rounds only 3,2,1 respectively?

It can still be bad luck in your matchups, but allover we can see who manages how with all mages

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »
It's one mage per week for four weeks.

And the reason Wizard is taken out is to open up the field as compared to normal tournaments. At most of the tournaments I have attended, an overwhelming majority have been Wizards, because he is the most viable option. I am trying to make the league a little more interesting, as well as challenging the potential competitors.

There are not twelve rounds, there are 4. This will make it easier for people like myself that do have a busy lifestyle. It's not about luck, it's about how skillfully you can build and play a book on the fly.

4 rounds. You get a list of four mages to choose from at the beginning, and will choose one of mages to build with every week.
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:12:56 PM »
so every week you get 4 to choose from? or you will get 4 and every week you play one of those 4?

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »
After you register, you will be given 4 randomly chosen mages. For example, let's say I was given:

1. Priest
2. Forcemaster
3. Necromancer
4. Priestess

Before my first match, I decide to play with the Priest. I build a book for him, and play. For my next match held the following week, I then have forcemaster, Necromancer, and Priestess to choose from.
Always carry a towel...

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 03:18:29 PM »
I suggest than removing priest also as stated above. If you say wizard is to good, than priest should go off too. Who plays him?

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 05:51:02 PM »
Cool! I'm glad you're doing this.

It makes me wonder what it would be like if we played around with veto-auction formats. Lots of interesting possibilities.

I am a little concerned that for my 4, I'd draw Priest, Joctari, Bloodwave, & Anvil Throne.
I'd be tempted to say, "build 6 books with 6 different mages of your choice. Your opponent chooses 2 of the 6 to veto. You chose one of the remainder, but each mage may only be played once."

Maybe I'll run something like that some other time.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 08:38:58 PM »
Guys!  Can we let The Dude run his own tournament the way he wants to?!  Lord Almighty!  Too many chefs here!  Thank you for running the tournament The Dude!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2015, 08:41:29 PM »
Part of the point of this is encourage people to try something different. I actually think the Priest can be quite decent, but it's all in how you build and how you play. There are certainly enough tools to play around with. I know that in our group, we only tried the Priest a couple of times at first... and we came to the same conclusion it seems that you all are coming to. After months of not playing with him, we came back with fresh eyes, and although we didn't book a book to win any tournaments, we had a book that was fun to play, and didn't do terribly.

@King Richard:

The league rules will change every month, this is just the rules for October. I was thinking about doing something similar to the Hearthstone format, in which each player brings three books to the match-up, and the opponent vetoes two. This would give some depth spread across a few books. But I wanted to keep things relatively light and fun for this trial run.

I also curse you for thinking that Johktari is one of the worst :P
Always carry a towel...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 05:58:31 AM »
Seems cool! Love the 4 mages idea.

Maybe try not putting alternate versions in 1 set? I am a bad holy mage, even though I really try with the priest, in your example I would have them both. I can imagine other people being unhappy with 2 warlords or 2 bms...
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 07:42:58 AM »
I also curse you for thinking that Johktari is one of the worst :P

It's the 9 channeling that hurts her the most. Warlock, Beastmaster, Druid,Warlord, other Warlock, other Warlord, Johktari, & Priest, in that order maybe.

It they all had 10 channeling the order would change pretty significantly. Both Priest and Joctari would probably benefit the most, though Druid would be truly scary.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 10:03:00 AM »
We play tested with Druid at 10.... she is just incredible.

And @ Hale:

Yes, that may happen. But I honestly don't think every one is going to be the absolute best with the mages they receive. This tournament is about learning something new, and how best to do that? By playing! So, we will be keeping the current ruleset. Of course, remember that this is just the ruleset for October, so maybe in the future we will do something more along the lines you are thinking of.
Always carry a towel...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2015, 10:47:26 AM »
I really like your idea of being forced to play with a certain mage, dont get me wrong  ::)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.