April 25, 2024, 08:28:15 PM

Author Topic: Legends & Lore: Celestia and the Angels  (Read 8325 times)

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
Legends & Lore: Celestia and the Angels
« on: August 26, 2015, 07:24:37 PM »

This week, we’ll take a look at Celestia, one of Etheria’s two moons, and home to many of angels that have been integral to Etheria’s history, such as [mwcard=MW1C39]Valshalla[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1C31]Samandriel[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWC13]Selesius[/mwcard].

First, let’s look to the sky! Etheria has two moons, Celestia and Ves. Celestia appears as a golden white color, Ves is primarily a hazy dark grey. Celestia is the closer body, and moves through the night sky more quickly; Ves is further out and moves much more slowly.

Twice a year, the two moon are aligned, one behind the other, and are in line with Etheria and the sun, causing a lunar eclipse. These two eclipses are the core of the Etherian calendar, and mark the changing of seasons, as well as festivals and holy days for followers of Asyra and others.

In fact, if you take a look at Priestess’ mage card, the golden circle design at the end is called The Crescent Celestia, and is the symbol taken by the followers of Asyra. The design of the symbol is a representation of the twin orbits of Celestia and Ves around Etheria, with the top open to symbolize one of the eclipses, and the staff base symbolizing the second of the eclipses. The Crescent Celestia has also been adopted by the Holy School of Magic.

Celestia itself is home to the angels, a race of beings that are mostly humanoid in appearance (if you look past the wings), but who are far older, hardier, and more shaped by the essence of Voltari. As such, angels do not age as most humanoids of Etheria do. They can still be slain, or fall pray to a virulent disease, but the ravages of old age pass them by. Legendary angels like [mwcard=MW1C39]Valshalla[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1C31]Samandriel[/mwcard] and [mwcard=FWC13]Selesius[/mwcard] are many hundreds of years old, and all fought in the Infernal Interregnum  (the Demon Wars), battling back [mwcard=MW1C01]Adramelech[/mwcard] with the combined Etherian forces of Merevaran. (More on that in a future Legends and Lore).

What is Celestia like? By all accounts, it is a beautiful place, tranquil, with white and silver-hued landscapes, majestic mountains, ancient, gleeming cities and oceans of pearlescent gold. That said, it is a place humans cannot visit, except with the aid of powerful magic or sustaining artifacts; Celestia has no atmosphere, no air.

Luckily for the angels, they don’t need it. Still staring up at the starry sky, the one thing that has drawn their attention and fascination over the ages is the beautiful blue and green globe of Etheria. Millienia ago, angels contrived ways of exploring that globe, through powerful V’tar artiacts and angelic magics. (You didn’t really believe they flew there did you?) Now, they have established a network of portals (all cunningly hidden or powerfully protected) that they can use to move from one place to another.

Though Etheria is beautiful and exotic, and they are endlessly fascinated by the blue skies and endlessly shifting clouds (which they do not have), most (though not all) angels prefer life on Celestia. Those who do stay tend to work with the Churches of Asyra, the Dawnbreaker, or Bim-Shalla.

Etheria’s other moon, Ves, is also inhabited by angels, though Celestial angels and Vessian angels are very different in terms of motivation, ethics, and personality. A Vessian angel is depicted on the card [mwcard=MW1E25]Maim Wings[/mwcard].
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
Re: Legends & Lore: Celestia and the Angels
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 06:10:22 AM »
Very cool. Looking forward hearing more.  :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 07:09:04 AM »
Vessian Angels rocks!

I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:15:04 AM »
Learn some new lore  :o
Thanks~

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:01:02 AM »
I am Sailor Celestia, champion of love and justice! In the name of Celestia I'll punish you!

Sorry someone had to say it. :P
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Nareus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:05:52 AM »
How exactly are the Vessian and Celestial angels different? :)
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Evil is not necessary for good to exist. However, good is necessary for evil to exist, as all that is evil is a corruption of that which is good.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:42:03 PM »
So... If elf and humans have a child, you get a half-elf. (half-human sounds demeaning)
Then, if a Vessian angel and a Celestial angel have a child you get a [mwcard=MW1C19]Gray Angel[/mwcard]?  ???

All the other angels have bright white wings. [mwcard=FWC13]Selesius, the East Wind[/mwcard] being a bit different, but it seems due to the light behind her and not her wing color.

Sabrath_Kell

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 04:42:24 PM »
How exactly are the Vessian and Celestial angels different? :)

You noticed the biggest physical difference -- the black wings. Vessian angels are sometimes referred to as Dark Angels.

So... If elf and humans have a child, you get a half-elf. (half-human sounds demeaning)
Then, if a Vessian angel and a Celestial angel have a child you get a [mwcard=MW1C19]Gray Angel[/mwcard]?  ???

A very logical guess! But actually, a Gray Angel is an angel that has decided to stay on Etheria, to dedicate their life to help the humanoid races, rather than going back to Celestia. Many angels consider this to be a very noble calling. Other angels, like Guardian Angels, also follow a similar path.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2015, 08:34:46 AM »
So, a gray angel is an Celestial angel that has been on Etheria for a long time? How does it make their wings gray/brown? (instead of the bright white of the rest)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2015, 11:06:33 AM »
So, a gray angel is an Celestial angel that has been on Etheria for a long time? How does it make their wings gray/brown? (instead of the bright white of the rest)

all the dust of our sad old world...

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
Smog problems in Etheria? :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Sabrath_Kell

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 02:25:47 PM »
Angels have a range of wing colors, in a similar way to hair colors. Most common for Celestia angels: white and silver, and less commonly grey, brown and gold. Vessian angels' wings are most commonly black or dark gray, less commonly a dark bronze.