September 28, 2024, 07:12:01 PM

Author Topic: Behold! My Custom Maps!  (Read 9339 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Behold! My Custom Maps!
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:21:55 AM »
Behold! My custom maps!

All of the custom maps I've made so far are in the zip folder below.

Notes

-In Warped Zone, secret passages in opposite corners are friendly, and secret passages in adjacent corners are enemy. You cannot use an enemy secret passage.

-the Leylines of Legend maps are for a variant of Domination called "Orb Collection" whose rules can be found here:
http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15890.0
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 09:32:49 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Behold! My Custom Maps!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 10:27:04 AM »
And here are my Domination maps. These two are played according to the rules of orb collector's domination using both of the optional rules. If it wasn't clear, with these two maps that means the objective is to take the enemy's orb.

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15890.0
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 10:28:39 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
The more 2vs2 maps we have the better! If you have any ideas for 3 for alls that would be sweet too. Nice work man
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 07:21:42 PM »
Here's a boss battle map for single player play. Also, I fixed Truce at Straywood so that it's balanced now. No more stupid wall cheese. Have fun with your 2v2 Domination matches!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:03:46 AM by Sailor Vulcan »

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 07:49:22 PM »
Adding those two corners in to the map really help resolve the Wall Cheese of Coshade's :) I am not sure if I agree with the special tile choices though. But I am not sure of what two I would put there, in their place.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 04:49:51 AM »
some very neath maps  8)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 08:31:31 AM »
Adding those two corners in to the map really help resolve the Wall Cheese of Coshade's :) I am not sure if I agree with the special tile choices though. But I am not sure of what two I would put there, in their place.

Hmm. I'm not entirely certain either. I mean, it's probably a good idea to put something there to hinder enemies. If I put ethereal mist or septagram there, it would give an advantage to having one mage on a team turtle so they can amass resources in a relatively safe position, and the other to go forth and collect orbs and gain v'tar, or hamper enemies from getting orbs and v'tar. Ethereal Mist or Septagram in those corners might still be a viable option, since as far as I know the earth wizard is otherwise the only one who can run a defensive playstyle in domination. But I'm not entirely certain of that. I'm actually somewhat disappointed that Arcane Wonders seems to have overlooked defensive play in domination. It is possible, I have used a wizard that only needs one orb and a galaxxus for his v'tar accumulation each round, and won with it too...

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 06:12:40 PM »
What do you mean by AW seems to have overlooked defensive play in Domination?

It seems to me defensive play styles are stronger than in regular arena mode.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 08:21:09 PM »
Aggro and Control are different in domination than regular arena. In fact, all of the playstyles are kind of different in domination:

Domination Swarm: get control of as many orbs as possible so you're gaining a lot of v'tar per round. (long game aggro)

Domination (not sure what to call this): Kill as many enemy creatures as you can, so that you can start taking orbs easily once the board is clear. (long game aggro-control, in the same way as Johktari BM plays in standard arena.)

Domination Turtling: get control of only one orb plus a galaxxus and minimize your opponent's v'tar acccumulation by protecting sslaks or otherwise stopping enemy creatures from attacking them effectively. This way you are only gaining 1 or 2 v'tar per round. (midgame control using few to no nonmage creatures.)

Domination Buddy Rush: summon a buddy creature and start killing the nearest sslak as soon as possible to take it's orb, then move onto the next one. Get an early v'tar lead as fast as possible and keep that lead. Should use galaxxus here. You don't necessarily need to control all the orbs, just enough to have more orbs than your opponent. (early game aggro using one nonmage creature)

When I said control had been overlooked, I meant specifically playstyles that win with a slow v'tar accumulation by minimizing the v'tar accumulation of the oppponent. It seems like Arcane Wonders just overlooked this kind of thing. It seems like there's barely any card support for it.

In fact, it seems like a surprising number of people seem to believe that swarming is the only good way to play domination. The impression I've gotten is that a lot of people haven't even tried buddy rushing for domination victory and even seem to think that it's not possible, and it's even worse for turtling.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 08:27:38 PM by Sailor Vulcan »

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 06:12:18 AM »
Aggro and Control are different in domination than regular arena. In fact, all of the playstyles are kind of different in domination:

Domination Swarm: get control of as many orbs as possible so you're gaining a lot of v'tar per round. (long game aggro)

Domination (not sure what to call this): Kill as many enemy creatures as you can, so that you can start taking orbs easily once the board is clear. (long game aggro-control, in the same way as Johktari BM plays in standard arena.)

Domination Turtling: get control of only one orb plus a galaxxus and minimize your opponent's v'tar acccumulation by protecting sslaks or otherwise stopping enemy creatures from attacking them effectively. This way you are only gaining 1 or 2 v'tar per round. (midgame control using few to no nonmage creatures.)

Domination Buddy Rush: summon a buddy creature and start killing the nearest sslak as soon as possible to take it's orb, then move onto the next one. Get an early v'tar lead as fast as possible and keep that lead. Should use galaxxus here. You don't necessarily need to control all the orbs, just enough to have more orbs than your opponent. (early game aggro using one nonmage creature)

When I said control had been overlooked, I meant specifically playstyles that win with a slow v'tar accumulation by minimizing the v'tar accumulation of the oppponent. It seems like Arcane Wonders just overlooked this kind of thing. It seems like there's barely any card support for it.

In fact, it seems like a surprising number of people seem to believe that swarming is the only good way to play domination. The impression I've gotten is that a lot of people haven't even tried buddy rushing for domination victory and even seem to think that it's not possible, and it's even worse for turtling.

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't equate control and defensive play as the same thing. Now I get your point.

However, I disagree. It seems to me both the Forcemaster and Warlord are given strong spells to play the control game. Consider the new Force Wall and Gravitor spells. Our warlords already play multiple wall strategies and having the ability to block flyers makes these stronger. There was even an Arcane Duels video using Earth Wizard in team play to illustrate a control strategy.

Maybe it is just your local meta that is not using it.
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 07:31:16 AM »

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't equate control and defensive play as the same thing. Now I get your point.

However, I disagree. It seems to me both the Forcemaster and Warlord are given strong spells to play the control game. Consider the new Force Wall and Gravitor spells. Our warlords already play multiple wall strategies and having the ability to block flyers makes these stronger. There was even an Arcane Duels video using Earth Wizard in team play to illustrate a control strategy.

Maybe it is just your local meta that is not using it.

Hmm. Perhaps I underestimated walls+gravikor. I'm so used to my walls not lasting very long even at the global metagame, compared to my enchantments. Maybe it's time to bust out walls of steel. Costs 18 mana to cast and extend one of those, and it has 4 armor and 13 life. It's weak to acid and lightning, but acid ball can only do max 2 corrodes at a time no matter how much is added to the roll. An Anvil Throne Warlord with Otto Kronig will be nice for this.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:53 PM »
Construction yard and Altar of Carnage can help pay for heavy wall builds.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Update! Learned how to compress a folder. Take that, 4-attachment per post limit! Now all of my custom maps are in one folder that you can download from the OP. Enjoy!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 09:11:15 PM »
I downloaded your map .TXT files.  You've obviously put in some significant work here, and for that I applaud and thank you.

Perhaps I missed it (posted somewhere else perhaps?) but can you please provide (or link) a legend to which tiles are which?

e.g. for Truce at Straywood:

..6***

I assume a "*" is the absence of a tile and a "." is a generic tile.  But which ones are #1-8?

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 10:52:39 PM »
In OCTGN start a game up. Once you see the game board, at the top of the Screen you will see Game Documents. Click on it, the click on "How to build your own Domination Map". It covers the process and what each number means.

Let me know if you have any questions!