April 26, 2024, 04:00:11 PM

Poll

What should be changed about the wizard?

Nothing, he is perfect the way he is!
5 (6%)
Remove the spellbind on wizard tower
11 (13.3%)
x3 for non-trained elements during spellbook construction
12 (14.5%)
x3 for nature during spellbook construction
14 (16.9%)
Add epic to the wizard tower
19 (22.9%)
Make his abilities more expensive (shield and/or zap)
12 (14.5%)
Lowering his total life
0 (0%)
Nothing. Add more, very strong spells for the other mages to make them more powerfull
7 (8.4%)
Something should happen, but none of the above. (react in the comments).
3 (3.6%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: The wizard vote  (Read 14060 times)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: The wizard vote
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:36:12 PM »
   Welcome to the forums. We love to have new players in the game. And make sure to get your friends involved. More play time will make you a better player over time.

I got timed out and lost my lengthy response to the errata question. As a note to the moderator, why do we get timed out when we are actively doing something on the site? It seems that only IDLE connections should start some timeout clock. And that any keyboard activity should reset said timeout clock.

The reason I am opposed to errata is that I really hate that I paid money for something that is printed, and I have to check some external source to see if it really is as it is printed. It means that the company that printed it couldn't be bothered to get it right the first time, just winged it and printed anyway. It means that consumers are beta testers. New players can get very easily confused that their play is incorrect, because they did not keep up with some website. I hated it from wotc in mtg. Cards outright banned even. Really? I understand things cannot be 100% 100% of the time. But for something this mature (multiple years in development) and  within 2 tournaments, they had to errata several cards. Some of that should have been caught. And folks here are clamoring for even more. If you want to change mages, then change the necro poison immunity. But I am not advocating errata for the necro, just pointing out something that is so much more egregious than the wizard base stats.

Errata is a very last resort. It is expensive for the company to reprint cards. It is expensive because of the hit to confidence in the company from consumers. It implies they do not do enough testing before printing. It should be extremely rare, and very considered when implemented. Something that is lost in the din sometimes.

Nealo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »
Welcome to the forums. We love to have new players in the game. And make sure to get your friends involved. More play time will make you a better player over time.

Thank you, I really enjoy the forums and I seriously love Mage Wars! I see what you mean about errata. I hope I am not seeming too contrarian in my responses, I promise I'm not just trying to pick a fight :P

Solving any potential imbalances with future expansions definitely seems like the most creative solution. I really like that as a solution because it also help to shift around which mages are considered top-tier at any given time. Both in this thread and the other, I'm mainly just advocating for casual discussion of the strength of mages/cards because it is another form of theory-crafting. I personally am excited to see where the meta goes from here. If people start jumping on the wizard bandwagon, I am sure there will be some talented players who exploit this. I just think that the discussion can be healthy as long as it's not being used as a basis for errata by the designers.

I really like the Mage Wars community so far, everyone has been so friendly to me as a new player and I truly appreciate that :)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:23 PM »
   Casual play is great fun. However, the cards/mages must be balanced for tournament play. If things are balanced there, the casual play will also be balanced.

And no worries about any fight. It is great to see new folks jumping in. We certainly want the game to grow, and I think sometimes the discussion may impact new player perceptions unnaturally.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:49 AM »
Normally you would have been able to change your vote. I don't know why it doesn't work now..

@Zot, we have a different opinion but you are right that nagging about this might look like the game is completely unbalanced for new players. Which it is not! I'm sorry about that.

I don't think the wizard needs x3 for nature or WT needs epic. (even though it could help) I think the cost for the tower is reasonable since you still have to pay for the attack spell. But, I do think that the wizard is too versatile. The tower allows him to save tons of spellpoints. He can have every attack spell in his book rather cheaply and re-use it over and over.

Making him pay triple for elements and removing the spellbind would solve this. But, like Sike said: it doesn't make sence that the apprentice wizard doesn't need to pay triple.  :-\

On the other hand, archers can destroy walls and a steel wall is vulnerable to lightning   ::)

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:17:53 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 04:00:30 PM »
Remind me, why isn't Wall of Steel immune to lightning...?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 04:25:17 PM »
just a wrong perception about lightning. Since lightning is a good conductor they assumed the "damage" spreading very fast. Really wrong physically but actually I really don't mind. makes lightning better in the game. :P It's good it's not always fire.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
The wizard vote
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 09:23:19 PM »
I like to think that the reason metal things in Etheria are weak to lightning rather than immune is because it's not really the pure metal. It's a mixture of a particular metal and something else. Maybe harshforge? Not enough of it for observable magic resistance, but enough to make a weakness to lightning when mixed with certain minerals...? But if harshforge becomes a resistor in the thermal/electrical sense when mixed with other metals, that might imply some sort of relationship between magic and electromagnetism. Considering that magical energy can have different colors, this might make a lot of sense, if the details can be figured out.

And wow the comprehensive fictional scientific explanation of how magic in Etheria works that I've been working on for my fanfic but was partially stuck on just got unstuck!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 09:27:53 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.