April 29, 2024, 08:53:01 PM

Author Topic: Academy: Beastmaster VS Wizard - New Card Overview with Intangible  (Read 9606 times)

ArcaneDuels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels - YouTube
Hey guys!

Just when you thought we'd run out of things to post about, we're releasing Intangible's overview of all the new Academy cards!
Check them out:

Part 1: Attack Spells & Equipment - https://youtu.be/ti-ZfZdlQr0
Part 2: Incantations & Enchantments - https://youtu.be/z2XX3Xs2M_Q
Part 3: Creatures & Special Awards - https://youtu.be/zPgcG0VgxMY?a
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 05:14:42 PM by ArcaneDuels »
Subscribe to us on YouTube to catch all of our videos!

Erebus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Academy: Beastmaster VS Wizard - New Card Overview with Intangible
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
These videos are awesome. Thanks for sharing! I really like the commentary you give with each card. It helps me start theorizing about other ways each card could be used.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 05:07:19 PM by Erebus »
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
"You see the great thing about madness is that it's all in your head."

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 05:49:22 PM »
Thank you for doing this. I've really wanted to see the Academy cards for a while.

I'm not particularly excited about the attack spells for Arena. A few might have some applications, but overall those cards aren't the ones I see driving changes in Arena play. The equipment looks very interesting though.

I like Emerald Elk Staff as a way to help keep your animals alive that is very action efficient. I'll have to try it to see how valuable I find the healing, but I can see it being a nice utility card.

Johktari Hunting Knife looks solid, particularly in conjunction with a pet Timber Wolf and Packmaster's Cowl. Put Vampirism on that puppy, prepare a Defend, and you can pretty much hold off an army of living creatures. Attack with your Beastmaster, put a guard marker on the wolf. They attack the wolf, activate the wolf and attack or guard. Later, use Defend to put another guard marker on the wolf. Even without a combo like that it is a very mana efficient damage source for any kind of extended fight, and it's vastly superior to the Staff of Beasts. I don't know whether I'll value the damage Johktari Hunting Knife offers or the utility offered by Morningstar or Mage Staff more, but we're finally seeing a worthwhile nature melee weapon.

Kajarah opens up a lot of options for the Johktari Beastmaster. It was possible to kite with Hunting Bow or Ivarium Longbow plus attack spells, and I think that strategy will still work okay, but I see more Johktari Beastmaster's running Kajarah. It fits very easily into a wide variety of openings, whereas if you want to fit a big creature or a Lair into your opening, even an Ivarium Longbow severely constrains your options. Because it can target creatures in the same zone, It makes your movement options very flexible. You can get right in your opponent's face if they try to run away from you, or you can use Tanglevines to lock your opponent down while throwing some damage at them.

Leather Chausses opens up other equipment slots for utility without weakening your defenses.

Packmaster's Cowl is incredibly action efficient, and I can't wait try try it.

Repulsion Cloak is basically Suppression Cloak light. I tend to hate mana denial, although I don't think I will dislike the implemenation as much in Academy as I did in several cases in Arena. I don't think it will be used that much in Arena, since I think Suppression Cloak is a lot stronger.

Rod of the Arcanum looks solid. It gives you a bit of a damage boost and slowly gives you a mana advantage.

Sistarran Robes I can see being okay for a Mana Denial Wizard in Arena, though I would tend to favor the more defense efficient Dragonscale Hauberk.

I really like Wispwillow Amulet as a way to boost economy without having to pay quite as much mana up front. I expect this card to be awesome with a Battleforge.

I expect almost everyone to run either Wychwood Ironvine or Regrowth Belt. For builds that have a lot of armor and are planning on using a Battle Forge to play lots of equipment, Regrowth Belt, with it's stronger regenerate is probably better. For mages that don't play a Battle Forge, I can see arguments either way. It's certainly an action efficient way to get a bit of defense, but it's not really a good way to reach a state of very strong defense, because once you've played about 3-4 cards to improve your defense, you'd probably rather have Regrowth Belt or Veterans's Belt.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 07:16:26 PM »
Wispwillow Amulet is pretty awesome when paried with the Battle Forge. You can run 2 and before one of them runs out of dissipate you switch it with another amulet. It's a decent way to convert battle forge mana into anything mana
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 05:52:08 AM »
Ok, now i will not be Playing wizard but "Intangible Senior" mage. Thank you very much :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 04:21:47 PM »
The video of the incantations and enchantments has been posted by Arcane Duels
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 07:23:23 PM »
I posted this on youtube as well, but just to make sure people are aware:

Unfortunately you can not target Exile with Disperse to get rid of it, since the Exile is attached to the creature that was removed from the Arena. Thus, Exile itself is outside of the Arena and beyond the range of Disperse.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »
Also, it deserves to be noted that Academy doesn't have the same combat steps as Arena, so there is no chance to reveal enchantments between rolling dice and dealing damage. Thus, in order to have Gator Toughness or Giant Size save your bacon, in Academy, you have to have it revealed before they roll their dice.

Overall, I love the vids you guys are doing. These are a great introduction to the Academy cards.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 08:02:42 PM »
Thanks for the clarifications Zuberi!

Part 2! --->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2XX3Xs2M_Q
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 08:22:07 PM »
I just noticed that Arcane Ward does NOT specify enemy incantations or enchantments.

So if you cast a spell on your own arcane warded object, the arcane ward will go off.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 08:55:04 PM »
I was wondering when someone would notice that. I started to write something to that effect, but I got distracted by the internet.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 08:56:39 PM »
I just noticed that Arcane Ward does NOT specify enemy incantations or enchantments.

So if you cast a spell on your own arcane warded object, the arcane ward will go off.

Truth. That's another reason why this won't replace Nullify, besides the non-Mage limitation. However, this will be extremely useful for protecting Equipment from Crumble and Enchantments from Dispel/Disperse, something that no other counterspell can currently do. And you don't typically target your own equipment or enchantments with anything. Not to mention it being something the Warlord can afford to include.

I really just love being able to enchant my enchantments, lol. I mean, I could do this before with Decoy or Harmonize, but there really wasn't any point to it. You can even put Arcane Ward on an Arcane Ward, lol. Not really a strategically great move, but it still makes me smile.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »
Regarding Wychwood Ironvine (belt), I like it better than Regrowth Belt because I often find myself wondering when it's best to play RB. If I cast it before I've taken damage, it does nothing and I should have waited and cast something more urgent, whereas if I wait till mid game, I may not have the action or mana needed to cast it. With the Ironvine, I don't mind casting it earlier as I can benefit from the Armor.  Oh, and it's cheaper. :)

I've been thinking about Akiro's Game...  What is the "casting cost" of Talos?  28 mana? 0? Love the idea of Stagger'ing him or Adramelech or whoever each round. Great for a Swarm Mage or one running a level 2 buddy.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 07:12:47 AM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 01:36:06 PM »
Part 3 is actually up on YouTube and can be seen HERE.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 01:50:03 PM »
Akiro's game costs 3 mana to cast and 5 to dispel. Correct?

Also, since it's effect is during the upkeep phase you always have 3 mana to reveal it right?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.