April 30, 2024, 12:47:24 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars at GenCon 2015 - Interviews with Players, Staff, and more!  (Read 13755 times)

ArcaneDuels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels - YouTube
Re: Mage Wars at GenCon 2015 - Interviews with Players, Staff, and more!
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 12:30:33 PM »
Hey guys, I thought people might really like this interview with Bryan Pope - https://youtu.be/Ds1zIzAV7wY
He reveals some pretty awesome stuff that's in the works.  8)
Subscribe to us on YouTube to catch all of our videos!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 12:54:14 PM »
 :o

???

:-*

:-X

::)

;D
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

ManofMagic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "You Shall Not Pass!!" - Gandalf the Grey
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2015, 07:51:04 PM »
 I wonder how arcane wonders will pull off a dungeon crawler.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 08:06:11 PM »
Me too ;-)

But it's a ways off, and if my experience with Bryan teaches me anything, he's got something up his sleeve.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 08:08:54 PM by Laddinfance »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2015, 09:22:55 PM »
Whats this about barbarian vs sorcerer? Is that the next main arena expansion after PvS?

Sounds like nature/war vs dark/arcane. Dark/arcane training will be amazing with Sardonyx.

Barbarian huh? Wonder what he'll be like? Mage with rage +x trait?
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2015, 09:40:41 PM »
If AW misses this opportunity to make a mage that can ride a dinosaur then we may have a problem :P
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »
Oh can we finally talk about the fact we're getting a friggin BARBARIAN!!!! Holy crap when I heard that at Gen Con I lost it completely. Big two handed weapons knocking fools heads off left and right. I can't wait.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 01:20:33 AM »
RPG!  :) ;D :-X
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

jhaelen

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 03:12:37 AM »
A Barbarian, huh? A pretty interesting choice for a game called _Mage_ Wars. In its first incarnation as a character class in AD&D 1e's 'Unearthed Arcana' they were able to detect magic and basically forced to destroy it wherever they found any trace of it. They were the very antithesis of magic.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 03:56:01 AM »
First mage with Zero chanelling? :D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 06:59:09 AM »
Barbarian vs Sorcerer was unofficially spoiled a while ago here. For the Barbarian, I'd guess trained in War only (or even no training?), elemental schools cost triple, built-in Armor (2?), built-in Melee +2.

Looks like the order might be something like:

- MW Academy core set: Warlock vs Priestess
- MW Arena large expansion: Paladin vs Siren
- MW Arena small (tome) expansion: Alt Wizard vs Alt Forcemaster
- MW Arena Battlegrounds: Archmage (one vs many format)

- MW Academy ??? (Expansion for existing mages? Another 2-Mage core set?)
- MW Arena large expansion: Barbarian vs Sorcerer
- MW Arena small (tome) expansion: ??? (Alt Necromancer/Druid/Paladin/Siren...?)
- MW Arena Battlegrounds: co-op dungeon crawl

... Oh, and (stand-alone) RPG in there somewhere ...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:37:47 AM by iNano78 »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars at GenCon 2015 - Interviews with Players, Staff, and more!
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 07:06:24 AM »
First mage with Zero chanelling? :D

Now that would be interesting. Keep in mind though that the warlord has 9.
He probably doesn't have 0, just really low channeling, if it's low. Maybe a channeling of 6 7 or 8, and some ability that lets him get more mana.

Maybe he has the rage+x trait, and his channeling increases with the number of rage tokens. This would encourage a "reckless assault" sort of strategy. He would probably have to have really high life though for this to work though. If he's really war/nature trained, then creatures probably will cost triple, since barbarians generally don't command soldiers. Then again, bridge troll is war/nature, so maybe he's not war trained. But I can't see what else he'd be trained in. Earth?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 07:12:31 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 11:36:41 AM »
   One thing I noticed from watching the awesome interviews that the AD folks filmed at gencon was the over emphasis on wizard and asking about whether we believe the wizard is over powered. While I have not kept up on the forums and have probably missed most of the conversation surrounding this topic, I would like to put in my $.02 without dredging up a bunch of conflict.

There were only 5 wizards at the tourney, not half the field. If just playing pure random, at least one wizard likely makes it to the finals. I played a wizard, not so much because I feel he is the most powerful in the game, it is because I like wizards generally. I am very comfortable playing a wizard. He certainly is a top tier mage, and therefore very competitive. I believe that necro, and original warlock are also top tier. With priestess, and original bm in the next tier. Followed by fm, and everyone else. The priest, and johktari at the bottom.  The top 4 were: 2 wizards, a priestess, and a fm. That is a decent mix. Had the initial field been larger, I would have expected to see some warlords and more warlocks, and a couple more necros. Who knows what the top would have looked like then? It is true if more folks play wizards, then more will make the finals just on sheer numbers. Same can be said for any mage. It is interesting to note that there were not so many swarming mages in the field. That surprised me. It was refreshing to see that folks did not just copy previous success and field clones, and instead brought their own creations. That was great to see. You do not get that in mtg competitions. Where everyone buys the current deck of the week, and you end up fighting yourself a dozen times over. How boring.

Further, I also believe that any mage in the hands of an experienced player has a better chance too. I would think that several players in the tourney could field a well crafted non top tier mage and still have a decent shot at the final day. I even mentioned in my interview with the AD crew that more plays matter. It gives you more experience encountering or formulating tactics. Over the long run, you will be able to handle more situations and have a firmer grasp of what to prep when it matters most. When is it time to break off an attack run to handle something the opponent has done, or to perhaps heal yourself some? In a timed game those decisions are magnified. More games with experienced players makes an even bigger difference because you may be challenged more often or quicker.

I am not trying to open a new can of worms here, but it was just a topic that I saw recur in the interviews which implied that the film crew were trying to get folks to say or confirm that wizards are broken somehow. I think that over time other mages will get benefits from cards along the way to elevate them rather than fall prey to the chorus chanting nerf nerf nerf. The constant rulings on cards and outright bans on cards right after print in mtg was a huge turnoff for most of my friends and I, and large part of the reason we quit the game. It meant that wotc really did not do its testing correctly and implied that it was just churning out shoddy product so fast just to make a buck, rather than trying to maintain a quality game. Really what is the point of buying something if you have to constantly look on some website just to see what the cards really do?  However the fact that they are still printing money may mean that they finally got that under control. I just would hate to see the same thing in yet another great game.

I am sure over time, the other mages will get their status elevated along the way. There will always be top tier mages, and bottom feeders. Which ones those are will morph over time. But the stark difference between the top and the very bottom should compress over time so there are not so many levels between them. And then the matches will be more often decided with the better tactics winning (on average - discounting getting diced) rather than which mage is being played.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 11:42:27 AM by zot »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 11:51:24 AM »
I'll add a little to what Zot just said. I judged this last Gen Con tournament and thus I saw everyones books and a little of every match. Now obviously I didn't get to see it all cause hey I can only keep an eye on one at a time, but I got a fair viewing. A few stats I'll point out.

After Day 1 the only Mage to go undefeated was a Priestess. Nobody complains about her being over powered.

After Day 1 the only Mage to go 0-5 was a Wizard. Good guy playing him, but he'd learned Mage Wars the day before.

There were two Johktari Beast Masters in this event. That surprised and delighted me. One of these mages, the Cervere rush one, beat his first round opponent in 20 minutes. That was a Wizard(and it wasn't the one that went undefeated.)

A Force Master made it to finals. There hasn't been anything new and cool added for Force Masters since the release of Force Master VS Warlord. Despite the claims of some of his opponents he did NOT just get there cause of mis-plays either. Tsk Tsk. Everyone made mistakes in their matches, claiming "He only won cause...." is lame.

It seemed to me and the other judges that the four gentleman who qualified for finals got there not because they were playing he best mages. They got there cause they were the best players that day.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »
Well said Zot!

Our feelings aside (the two of us disagree on the matter), we weren't trying to goad anyone into forcing the matter. We just looked at the tournament as a great opportunity to see what top tier players thought about the current balance of the game.

Oddly enough, this year, it's a little tough to actually get clear evidence on the matter. I've been watching you guys play since last year and I can say that you're amazing players. That being said, it's not fair to look down on the class because it won, when all the credit should go to the ones playing the game. If you look at history, some of the best and well known players have been those who use Wizards. It's hard to make a concrete opinion on that.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster