April 26, 2024, 11:06:09 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars: A Link Between Worlds  (Read 2724 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Mage Wars: A Link Between Worlds
« on: July 31, 2015, 08:47:20 PM »
  • I am making an epic novel/role playing game setting for narrating mage wars games into a story.

Summary:

You've started hearing the voice of someone who isn't there. This voice sounds uncannily like your own. You hear it sometimes when you play mage wars. This voice reacts as if it can hear some of your thoughts, and as if what you're hearing are some of the thoughts of whoever owns that voice, assuming they're not just a figment of your imagination...

Premise: Main characters get a coherent variation of the “psyqualia” ability that was presented in the anime “Cardfight Vanguard” when playing mage wars. The implications and consequences of this are thoroughly explored.

http://cardfight.wikia.com/wiki/PSY_Qualia

I've basically come up with three main story arcs/campaigns.

1. Isle of Etheria "Duelist Kingdom"-esque campaign.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Duelist_Kingdom

2. Diplomatic mission to Etheria

3. Final tournament

RULES

Don't worry too much about the comprehensive rules. They are mostly just meant to cover any loopholes or ambiguities. You need to skim over them briefly, but don't get hung up on them too much. In essence there are really just two rules:

1. Characterization must be realistic
2. Have fun!

Characters

• Players are required to have exactly one non-etherian self-insert. Only the self-insert is permitted in a card-duel.
    If that character has "the link" (this story's variation of psyqualia) then their character's etherian counterpart must be mentally and emotionally an alternate version of the player's non-etherian self insert character.
  • Aliens from other worlds besides earth and etheria, who are not from the planes of existence in the etherian universe, must have genuinely alien minds. Do not create such a character as your main. I strongly prefer that no extraterrestrials or extraetherials get introduced until the final campaign if at al, unless someone comes up with a reasonable explanation for it.
  • No mary sues. Portray all of your characters as realistically as you can. For your self-insert, act as you normally would if the events and settings of this game were real. This also means that characters should have realistic motivations. No one should be doing something simply "because they're evil" or "because they're good." Try to be more a bit more specific about what your characters want and why they're doing what they're doing.
  • Don't play more characters than you can manage.

Setting and plot
  • My plot projection is only a guideline/recommendation. I encourage munchkinry in ALL its forms, as long as that's what the characters would actually do in that situation. This is not just a story, it is also a game with rules and objectives which you can reached.
  • Most challenges your characters are presented with will be solvable. There might be a few that aren't, but I'll try to minimize those. Always assume the challenges you face are solvable until you've proven that they aren't. A character can do anything they want to do that is within their power to do.
  • No breaking the fourth wall from the outside. You can only break the fourth wall from the inside if your character is psychotic.

Format
  • When main characters are talking, it is strongly advisable to use skype, or at least the OCTGN chat. Some duels will allow spectators, others won't. All duels in the story must be recorded. If the participants are being watched on TV in the story, then the duel must be posted on youtube or twitch, or sent to someone who can post it there.

Also, I swear there is an at least fairly coherent explanation of how the setting is the way it is. If things seem contrived to you, don't worry, every mystery has a solution.

Post below if you would like to participate in the first campaign. Please include your character descriptions, as well as whatever spellbook(s) your character(s) use. If your self-insert main has this setting's variation of "psyqualia", then include the character description and spellbooks for their etherian counterpart as well.

Non-mage wars players are also welcome.

Campaign #1. Isle of Etheria.
Registered players
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:00:35 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.