April 24, 2024, 04:19:43 AM

Author Topic: Paladin vs. Siren mage ability theories.  (Read 17948 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin vs. Siren mage ability theories.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2015, 11:15:57 PM »
The Paladin might have a duelling ability that triggers when he is attacked. I Imagine: If the Paladin is successfully attacked by a creature that is of a higher level than 2, place a challenge token on that creature. Whenever the Paladin makes a melee attack against a creature with a challenge token on it he gains "Melee+1" and "Piercing+1"

This benefits theme and playstyle because he is that active fighting mage without being forced to be a solo mage. Themewise level 3+ assures that he only feels challenge by bigger things like mages, dragons, trolls and makes him a bit more vunerable to swarm builds. Succesful attacks distinguish him to the forcemaster who is all about avoiding incoming attacks - this does not seem appropriate to a paladin!

I could see alot of Paladin-Equipment being build around those Challenge tokens, like a shield that allows you to place a second and adding armor/counterstrike or a war Enchantment that lets him place taunt markersto ensure that he is being attacked by creatures of his choice. Something that lets him replace said tokens or gains him even further buffs with challenge tokens!

This abillity would be really cool because I am a bit sick of "pet-abilities" and this would be more like the new warlock with an external ressource played on the enemies creatures.

For the Siren "flood markers" are not very fullfilling and are to similar to the druid. I guess the terrain subtype will greatly affect the way she playes but not as much spreaded as the vine markers are. Maybe she sets a spawning pool where all of her creatures come to land? Probably she can form water, thus freezing people, making use of airspells too? Be a master of the weather and buffing creatures that fight under rain/storms? I feel that my paladin ideas are much better :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

EricTheGreat12

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »
Wow, this section of the forums is unfortunately really dead....  :(

Anyways, the Siren will for sure have to do with Mind School as well as Water {although, Siren might be the 'unique mage' with 2 Elemental schools, but I doubt this}. Based off a previous photo, I would say that she has a kind of 'spread water' ability like the vines, while also having a water like shield.

Paladin, on the other hand, isn't as direct, and can therefore be anything related to war and/or holy spells. I would have to say though that he has to either Holy or War, so it can be a bit mystifying as to what it will finally be.

Just maybe, this will be the first set where both mages share two major schools....  ???  8)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 10:21:43 PM »
  it will liven up soon. tournament season is upon us, and new sets are coming out.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
Hmm, the challenge tokens idea seems a bit contrived to me. It doesn't seem so much like an ability I would expect of a paladin specifically so much as any heroic warrior who likes dueling his enemies.

The Paladin will definitely have a sword and shield. He'll almost certainly be trained in Holy and War. He'll have x1 access to commands and healing, as well as temple of asyra and war only equipments. I can imagine a strategy where a paladin guards the temple while it deploys royal archers, and he protects and heals them and buffs them with commands. Only issue with that is that paladin is going to want to be attacking the enemy too, not just protecting his friends. Maybe he'll have the abilty to pay some mana and a quick action to gain the vigilant trait for a round? Somehow that seems to me to be more likely to be a spell than an ability though.

I can very easily imagine him paying triple for arcane and dark. Arcane because he's a warrior through and through and not a scholar. Dark because he's a champion of the holy school.

It would be cool if he had a spell to turn enemy undead creatures back into living creatures under his control.

I've been thinking about it for a while now, and I really have no clue what his ability will actually be. He's a paladin, and paladins are basically magic holy knights.

Paladins are pretty much always lawful good. Lawful meaning he likes order and justice and good meaning he fights evil and protects the innocent.

So. Fights evil=light attacks, which have an advantage against demons and undead? Protects the innocent = guarding? He probably doesn't rely on straight up deception, preferring to let his opponents make their own assumptions and then if it puts them at a disadvantage they've brought it upon themselves, or something.

Wow I have no clue what his abilities might actually be.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2016, 12:39:55 AM »
There was something in the description of the first song card that made me worry the Paladin would be using songs too...which feels more bard like than Paladin like...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2016, 02:38:35 AM »
There was something in the description of the first song card that made me worry the Paladin would be using songs too...which feels more bard like than Paladin like...

If I remember correctly, the paladin was trained in that song. AKA: (at least level 2) war school
The warlords are also trained in that school.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2016, 03:20:39 AM »
Creature wise, I'm guessing the paladin's creatures need to be trained in both holy and war. (So, no pure war/holy creatures)
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2016, 04:49:32 AM »
Creature wise, I'm guessing the paladin's creatures need to be trained in both holy and war. (So, no pure war/holy creatures)

Or perhaps he is racist, so goblins, orcs, trolls, dwarves, elves and animals cost triple (in addition to Dark spells).

Kaarin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2016, 05:11:06 AM »

Or perhaps he is racist, so goblins, orcs, trolls, dwarves, elves and animals cost triple (in addition to Dark spells).
Non-knight creatures? But Temple High Guard is elf soldier from Holy school.
OCTGN: Wstrzasniety (UTC+2)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2016, 01:04:19 PM »

Non-knight creatures? But Temple High Guard is elf soldier from Holy school.

Ah, I missed the Temple High Guard's subtypes.  Perhaps elves are OK in his books.  Or perhaps "Non-Holy creatures cost triple" to prevent cheap access to all the unthematic War-school creatures he might otherwise use efficiently.  The Paladin is pious, after all.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »

A great thing about Mage Wars is the amount of freedom it gives you in constructing your spellbook. Unless you are outright banned from using a card, such as it being restricted to a different type of mage, then you can definitely use it. It's just a matter of spellpoints. You can even include Dark spells in a Priest book if you really want to (and I have before).