April 20, 2024, 09:15:25 AM

Author Topic: Does all magic REALLY come from the plane of voltari?  (Read 15780 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Does all magic REALLY come from the plane of voltari?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 09:33:29 PM »

Let me guess: Celestia is the elemental plane of air. Right? Just like Infernia is the elemental plane of fire?

Infernia is not the Elemental Plane of Fire -- it's its own Realm. Just so happens there's a good deal of fire there too.  :)

Really? I could have sworn that I read somewhere on these forums from an official source that infernia was the elemental plane of fire. I don't remember where I heard it now...

Also,  planes are subsets of realms?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sabrath_Kell

• Official Loremaster of Etheria
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 10:46:09 PM »
Also,  planes are subsets of realms?

This is really just a question of terminology.

Some fantasy settings call other places of existence "planes" (like the Plane of Shadow, the Ethereal Plane, the Prime Material Plane, the Astral Plane, etc.). In the Mage Wars universe, we tend to call them "Realms". I won't say that we've never said "plane" (because we probably have somewhere, sometime), but the idea is that Etheria is a Realm (think prime material plane), and Infernia is a Realm that has a slight connection to it. Volatari is another Realm (think ethereal or astral plane), that exists all around the other Realms.

Does that make more sense?

Also, just to be totally clear, Infernia is not the Elemental Plane of Fire. Adramelech is the Lord of Fire, and there is fire there -- actually a lot of fire there -- it's a prime feature of the terrain -- in fact, it's a lot like hell -- but it's not the Elemental Plane of Fire.

You could call it a fiery Realm though.
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 12:37:26 AM »
the next question would be: did the dragons and the gods live at same time in etheria? what relation did they have?

i'm affraid the scholars prefered to ignore my blasphemous question about the relation gods-dragons on etheria...

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 05:11:52 AM »

the next question would be: did the dragons and the gods live at same time in etheria? what relation did they have?

i'm affraid the scholars prefered to ignore my blasphemous question about the relation gods-dragons on etheria...

I doubt it. They're wizards, they don't care if their questions are considered blasphemy.

If they don't answer every question, maybe it's something in the story that they don't want to spoil just yet.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sabrath_Kell

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 03:53:02 PM »

Those scholars are real jerks. ;) Loremasters on the other hand…

In all seriousness, I'd like to hold off on answering this question for just a little bit, because I am planning a Legends & Lore post about dragons and the Age of Catastrophe, but before I get there, I want to put together a short history of the Ages of Etheria so the timing all makes sense. Bear with me a little while, and your questions will be addressed :)

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 12:05:34 AM »
looking forward!

Sabrath_Kell

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
    • @ArraxCrown on Twitter
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »
I don't understand where the gods come from.
You say the nameless one comes from another realm, but the others?
are they born on etheria? when? from whom?

Except for "The Nameless One", the rest of the Etherian gods come from the Etherian realm.

Other than specific mythologies (which each god's disciples/priests/adherents have), no scholar really knows the true origins of the gods. You'll just have to accept that they came into being at some point.  8)

I'd like to revisit my answer, to make it a little more nuanced, because as I was going back through the documents about the History of Etheria (http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=15981.0), I became a little concerned that I may have misled you with this answer.

The Elemental Lords, the original creators of the earth, sky, sea and air of Etheria (as well as the races who live there) were there in the Void at the beginning of Creation in the Realm of Etheria. I saw Realm of Etheria, because remember that each Realm is like a carved out bubble surrounded by a latticework of Voltari. Before there was Etheria, there was still the Void that was there.

The stories of the New Gods, and of their origins are shrouded in the mists of antiquity. The Nameless One is for certain from another Realm, though the other Gods may have been in the Void before there was Etheria, but unknown to the Elemental Lords. Each God's followers have their own stories, myths, or legends about where that God came from, but none of those stories say that they came from another place altogether.

What they do say is that the New Gods were there during the early days of Etheria, when the races were newly created. It's reasonable to think they they may have come from another Realm, and totally relocated to Etheria, but I don't want to be definitive on that.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2015, 12:20:42 AM »
that was clear from your History of etheria!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 12:24:08 AM by Exid »