April 19, 2024, 10:29:19 PM

Author Topic: Enchantment Transfusion And Blur  (Read 4235 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Enchantment Transfusion And Blur
« on: July 08, 2015, 12:14:31 AM »
I've been pushing for errata to enchantment transfusion(ET) for a while. What I want to see is something like
"ET can only move revealed enchantments which can be revealed at this time(if they were still hidden)."

Now that blur is out (I know blur is only a promo and domination hasnt fully been released yet), what happens when:
objects: Mage A, Mage B 2 zones from Mage A, creature C which is 3 zones from Mage A
picture: A--B-C

mage A casts fireball
Mage B is the only other possible target in range and is 2 zones away
Mage B moves blur onto himself from creature C via ET after the counterspell step of fireball

Mage B is no longer target-able due to obscured.
options:
1) The fireball is countered because mage B is no longer a valid target before the spell resolves
2) Mage A has to target himself with the fireball since he is now the only valid target(see debate on sweeping before it got errata; see mana siphon and divine intervention)
3) The fireball goes ahead as planned and hits mage B

I believe the intent is (3)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Enchantment Transfusion And Blur
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:29:20 AM »
I think the wording of Blur makes it clear that it's not supposed to be used to interrupt an action on it's own. However, I don't personally have a problem using Enchantment Transfusion to turn an already revealed Blur into an interrupt. It's costing you an extra spell, an extra action, and 3 extra mana. That seems like a fair price for the utility of interrupting a single action.

Strictly speaking from the rules, there's nothing currently preventing such a move. No errata such as that which you proposed yet exists. So, it would seem that option 1 would be correct. You've already chosen your target, so it's too late to choose another (see addendum below). Since your target is no longer a legal target, the spell fails and is cancelled.

Addendum regarding Option 2: Mana Siphon doesn't choose a target mage until the Resolve Spell Step (the spell itself is targeting a zone, it is the effect of the spell that targets a mage), which is why the Divine Intervention trick works. Similarly, sweeping doesn't choose it's secondary target until after it finishes attacking the first target (luckily the second target is now optional). In order to force someone to choose a different target, possibly making them target themselves, you have to make their desired target illegal before they've actually had a chance to officially target it. For most spells, this means you must make the thing an illegal target before Step 1: Cast Spell, which will probably result in them not casting the spell at all rather than casting it on an undesirable target. Once they've officially selected a target, it is impossible to change it, much less force them to change it.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 08:00:13 AM »
Zuberi is correct, and one banana sticker richer.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:45:17 AM »
You're the banana king, Zuberi!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
Is vulcan correct that enchantment transfusion does work on a target that is obscured.

It's about the Thunderdome 2 match.

Sailor Vulcan said that he needed a ET to win. He could cast enchantments on itself and ET it to Sharbait. (with the [mwcard=DNQ01]Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]) This way negating the obscured.

Seems kinda odd to me..  ???
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
If I am not mistaken it is still needs a "legal" target creature and it would have to be in range, but this is more of Zuberi's area than mine...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 01:51:20 PM »
yes, but it IS in range. But obscured.

I also think it's not legal. But I'm not sure.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE04]Enchantment Transfusion's ability[/mwcard] does indeed specify that it needs to be able to legally target the creature, and this is confirmed in the Rules and Codex Supplement. Therefore, the Obscured trait does apply and you would not be able to move enchantments onto a creature further than 1 zone away.