April 29, 2024, 07:38:01 PM

Author Topic: Test Your Skills... Shrink!  (Read 7200 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Test Your Skills... Shrink!
« on: July 01, 2015, 04:01:43 PM »
Today is the first official preview for the upcoming Mage Wars: Academy. You can find the preview of the brand new Shrink, right >>HERE<<.

Bluebaron

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Test Your Skills... Shrink!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 12:41:50 AM »
Thank you, i have been waiting for that since it has been anounced.

This is by far my number 1 release of this year. I have high hopes. First I hope that it will be the perfect entry point for arena. Secondly, I hope it will give a wonderful game for in between. Too often time constraint was an issue, so that MW arena was left inside the box. Thirdly, I hope for many clever level 1 spells that will enrich MW arena play.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:45:40 AM by Bluebaron »

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:13:19 AM »
A fun card that acts as a way to deal with intercept and reduce the threat from a powerful creature. It's cheap but you pay for the versatility with it only lasting two turns.

What I like most about Shrink is the flavor. The idea of what the card does can be clearly represented by the mechanical benefits.

Also, just like the hydra is an abomination created by wizards toying with nature, I like to think that all house cats in Etheria are just products of a bored wizard who decided to make a quick buck and sell adorable kittens.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
A shrinked angel should still be able to intercept.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 12:30:31 PM »
I think this is a big grey area in the rules. I think I have to agree with Schwen. But I totally understand the confusion.

Pest says "A small nuisance creature that cannot hinder enemies. Enemy creatures may ignore a Pest that is guarding to attack a different attacker" pg 8 complete codex <---- is this assumed melee only?

Intercept - "If this creature is guarding, and if a ranged attack targets a non-flying object in the same zone, this creature may redirect that ranged attack to itself, as long as it can be a legal target for that attack. TheIntercept is announced and occurs immediately after the Declare Attack Step (and before the Avoid Attack Step). It loses its guard marker at the end of the attack which it intercepts. Cannot Intercept a zone attack." pg 7. complete codex

Is ignoring an intercept a thing?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
A fun card that acts as a way to deal with intercept and reduce the threat from a powerful creature. It's cheap but you pay for the versatility with it only lasting two turns.

What I like most about Shrink is the flavor. The idea of what the card does can be clearly represented by the mechanical benefits.

Also, just like the hydra is an abomination created by wizards toying with nature, I like to think that all house cats in Etheria are just products of a bored wizard who decided to make a quick buck and sell adorable kittens.

On the one hand, I love this card for lots of reasons: flavour, temporary effect, mana cost that scales with how powerful the target is, etc.  It's like a temporary Arcane [mwcard=MW1E09]Agony[/mwcard] that might be cheaper to cast, especially on low level creatures that have been buffed up (e.g. Charging [mwcard=MW1C14]Feral Bobcat[/mwcard] with [mwcard=MW1E01]Bear Strength[/mwcard] or something).  And it works against Attack Spells (!) and messes with Guards, too - so it's quite a bit better and more versatile than Agony in many situations.  Could be used on a Thoughtspore or Sersiryx to (partially) negate their Attack Spells, or could be used on Cerberus or a Sslak...

On the other hand, as the first spoiler from Academy, I'm a little concerned.  The Academy product is designed to be a simpler, quicker, more portable and more streamlined intro into the Mage Wars universe (in comparison to Arena), and as such supposedly uses fewer key words and simpler mechanics (e.g. I was thinking no more than 2 keywords on a card, straightforward card interactions, etc).  This spoiler is an Enchantment with an effect similar to putting 2 Weak condition tokens (which, as an aside, are definitely in Academy as per other spoilers that are around, e.g. the promo cards that come with Academy pre-orders) on the target that go away over time... but uses the Dissipate keyword... so instead of putting 2 Weak tokens on the target and having, say, 1 token removed each round during Upkeep, you remove Dissipate tokens and when they're gone you destroy the Enchantment.  This works fine mechanically, but Dissipate is one of the rarer mechanics in Mage Wars and not as straightforward as some.  OK, I concede that Dissipate isn't that hard to grasp, it's a little gamey.  Also, consider putting Shrink on a creature, then hitting it with some attacks that deal out Weak tokens (from Gorgon Spearthrowers?)... so kind of doing a double-whammy, then the Shrink goes away but the Weak tokens don't.

If this were the 5th or 6th spoiler after seeing some simpler cards, I'd feel more secure that Arcane Wonders is going to get the results they want with this set.  Of course, maybe simple cards wouldn't make for good previews because they're kind of boring, so they showed us something a little flashier (?).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:43:07 PM by iNano78 »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:37:44 PM »
I think this is a big grey area in the rules. I think I have to agree with Schwen. But I totally understand the confusion.

Pest says "A small nuisance creature that cannot hinder enemies. Enemy creatures may ignore a Pest that is guarding to attack a different attacker" pg 8 complete codex <---- is this assumed melee only?

Intercept - "If this creature is guarding, and if a ranged attack targets a non-flying object in the same zone, this creature may redirect that ranged attack to itself, as long as it can be a legal target for that attack. TheIntercept is announced and occurs immediately after the Declare Attack Step (and before the Avoid Attack Step). It loses its guard marker at the end of the attack which it intercepts. Cannot Intercept a zone attack." pg 7. complete codex

Is ignoring an intercept a thing?

I think the Codex is clear here.  You may ignore a Pest that is guarding and attack another creature.  If that Pest has Intercept, I can still ignore it while it's guarding and attack another creature.  Intercept does nothing while the creature isn't guarding, and if it's guarding and I ignore it, then I don't see why I can't ignore its Intercept keyword too (e.g. I'm ignoring it while it's guarding and attacking another creature, as per the Codex's suggestion).

*edit* To be clearer, I'm not really ignoring the Pest's "Intercept" keyword, I'm simply ignoring that it's guarding (aside from its quick attacks gaining Counterstrike), which means Intercept doesn't really do anything.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:39:25 PM by iNano78 »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 01:01:36 PM »
Honestly, i felt this would be a good card to preview because it's fairly straightforward, and it's applicable to Arena as well. The next preview will certainly be a creature, and hopefully something more of what you were looking for.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:26:51 PM »
Honestly, i felt this would be a good card to preview because it's fairly straightforward, and it's applicable to Arena as well. The next preview will certainly be a creature, and hopefully something more of what you were looking for.

Don't get me wrong, it's a cool card for Arena fans - and most of us on this forum and/or reading the preview are probably Arena fans, rather than "looking for easy entry into Mage Wars universe" target audience of Academy.  I just didn't expect to see the Dissipate keyword on any Academy cards, let alone the first one officially spoiled/previewed.  And it makes something a Pest (which is already bringing up some rules questions) and does something similar to Weak, but without using Weak tokens... so there's actually a fair bit going on there.  In many ways, it's a more complicated Agony - not something I'd expect to see in a "streamlined" version of Mage Wars.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:33:47 PM by iNano78 »

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 01:29:59 PM »
Honestly I think the problem is that with guard -> the attacker must attack the guard
With Intercept the defender chooses to intercept - he doesn't have too
So with pest the attacker can choose to ignore the guard, while the intercept trait has no options for the attacker.
I guess the way I am looking at it, guard and intercept have nothing to do with each other then the initial requirement to activate intercept.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 01:40:20 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 04:21:56 PM »
The difference is simple:
Guard is passive... Enemies have to attack the gurad first, the guard has to use its guard ability, if it is attacked.
Intercept works active. You can decide, if you want to intercept and it depends on two things: first you are guarding, second you have the intercept ability. If you are pest or not isn't important because the attacker is not attacking the guard but another target.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 01:02:28 AM by Schwenkgott »
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2015, 04:33:13 PM »
The other argument is that a creature is spending its guard to redirect the attack. They're using their guard to trigger the ability, the guard that is being ignored by that creature.

I actually don't care either way, I think it's a fun debate that needs to be had.

I will say, in the end, the flavor of the the abilities suggests that the smaller creature isn't imposing enough to get in the way of the shot. However, text vs numbers often does't prevail.  ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
I would expect that by ignoring the guard, due to the Pest trait, the intercept cannot 'trigger'.  From the codex for Intercept:

..this creature may redirect that ranged attack to itself, as long as it can be a legal target for that attack.

The fact that it's guard is ignored by the attacker would make it an illegal target, hence the pest cannot 'redirect that ranged attack to itself'.

I think that it is a good counter for creatures such as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC08]Gargoyle Sentry[/mwcard].  This guy, with [mwcard=MW1E36]Rhino Hide[/mwcard] has 6 armour when guarding and using Intercept.  It's great for the defending mage and a pain for the attacking mage.  So, Shrink is perfect for this situation (providing that the above is correct, of course).
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »
But it's not an illegal target. Pest doesn't prevent you from targeting the creature with pest, it just makes it so that you can attack something else, removing the targeting restriction that guard normally imposes.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 12:11:26 AM »
For me, a guarding creature concentrates on de défense of the zone by using its action guarding.

1) If it's big enough (= not pest), it will be able to force a melee attacker in the zone to attack it first

2) if a range attack targets something in the zone, it will jump on the way of the attack and take the missile (and that has nothing to do with its size)