April 20, 2024, 01:32:13 AM

Author Topic: Your Favorite Creature Spells  (Read 11635 times)

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Your Favorite Creature Spells
« on: September 30, 2012, 08:36:04 AM »
So this is a thread for people to share, discuss and or argue (in a civil manner) our favorite creature spells and why.

I'll start,

I'm a fan of the Emerald Tegu!

compared to the Timber Wolf it has 2 less life and 1 less attack, but with 1 extra armor and a roughly 42% chance to cause rot I'd still take it.

In a Beastmaster build, they make great pets, boosting it to 4 attack 4 armor and 12 life, throw some Eagle Wings on it and you have a friggin' dragon!

with the exception of Rhino Hide, it is a good choice for just about any attribute boosting or trait adding enchantment (it's got enough armor). But Regrowth, Cheetah Speed, Bull Endurance, Bear Strength are all good choices... or you could go crazy and give it Vampirism  :evil:

So, big or small, what are your favorite creatures?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Your Favorite Creature Spells
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 03:11:49 PM »
i still think the timberwolf pet is the best.  what is the level and mana cost of the tengu offhand?
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

theduke850

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 03:22:29 PM »
the same as the timber wolf (level 2 nature spell, casting cost of 9), that is why I used the comparison.  I meant to state that in the original post.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
yeah it seems a very good choice as well.  of course its all deck dependant.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 09:03:55 PM »
My favorites so far are Gray Angel and Necropian Vampiress. Not in the same deck of course, but they're each very good. I played against the Vampiress and man she can take a beating, healing about 3-4 each attack AND being living is able to be healed.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:50:11 PM »
havent had a chance to use the vampiress yet but i had a deck in mind for her

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
I think my favourite so far is the Mountain Gorilla. You throw a stone wall in front of him, he climbs right over it! You wouldn't like him when he's angry!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 11:27:16 AM »
I cant tell you about it except it is the Forcemasters power house. Basically a force golem.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:03:04 PM »
yeah very nasty indeed.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40:59 AM »
Huge fan of Brogan. Very reasonable cost despite his only 11 health, because he's got all that armor, and his strikes are unavoidable, and it's piercing +3! LOVE that guy. He's saved my bacon several times in various games against various opponents. The 11 health sucks, but out of the priestess, providing you protect him accordingly he can stick around well beyond his usefulness.

Beyond that, people seem to really underestimate the Cleric. Unassuming, but he provides unending frustrations for the opponent if they let them stick around.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

ShamanX

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:23 PM »
Playing the Priestess I found the Knight of Westlock to be quite good for the mana. He has solid baseline health and armor, and a good attack of 5 dice plus an 8+ defense. Amp him up with more armor from Crown of Protection, and extra dice from Bear Strength and pair him with a Royal Archer and you've got a solid flexible defense against other creatures. . Especially the Beastmaster.  Later, add Brogan and stir!

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
I'll preface this by saying I'm probably bias by playing my games against my brother's Priestess Angels, but I love the Gorgon Archer.  The 16 cost is high, but I love having her come out in the middle squares, and then dominate most the board.  Her range attack is a great counter to her slow trait, and her regenerate 2 can make her a real pain, and allow her to survive a more aggressive placement.  Her weak effect also makes it nice to plink one of my  brothers stud angels before they can get to me and do work.  I really enjoy playing her, and need to get some more copies.

Not to highjack but any wizard players use the bird Huginn?  What does he do for you?

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
I'm currently using Huginn. He allows you to cast a "third" spell, incantation level 1 or 2, and his special action allows you to peek at a face-down enchantment, which could come in handy. Plus, his defense is iirc 5+ infinite, which is very good at attack avoidance.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 11:29:15 AM »
I love the Gorgon Archer as well for all of the points you mentioned.  Sure, she's expensive and Slow, but she's a beast, and tends to survive a long time with her her innate regeneration.  The ability to inflict Weak is awesome and in my last game I reduced Brogan to one die per attack (the lowest it can go).  Forcing your opponent to spend valuable resources on removing those stacks of Weak is great, especially since you are (hopefully) doing damage while you are inflicting the Weaks.  Love her.

As for the Wizard's familiar...he is VERY good.  Normally casting a "counter" spell such as Dispel, Dissolve, Seeking Dispel, etc is generally a wash resource wise (on average both mages spend the same mana and the same number of actions).  But with the familiar casting these spells, you are gaining a mana advantage AND an action advantage...that's HUGE in my book.  Having that thing flying around and knocking off other mage's equipment and enchantments is crazy good.  However, that bird is a big target because of this as well.  As soon as it hits the table, it will be target number one for me.  Enjoy that Jet Stream to the face!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 11:40:00 AM »
In testing we made a Wizzard / Huginn direct attack book. Huginn's job was to get harmonize and deal with dissolve, dispel,   and other such utility spells. While the wizard handed out the damage.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage