April 19, 2024, 10:29:04 PM

Author Topic: Samara Tree (and seedling pod) thoughts  (Read 16973 times)

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Samara Tree (and seedling pod) thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 09:28:22 AM »
Heinz, the legendary flesh-eating Tomato!

I totally support this! As long as it got bloodthirsty +5.

Audrey II?

He is too cute. Now we are talking Heinz!

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 10:48:09 AM »
Ketchup enchantments!

Bloodthirsty Tomato could have an ability called...

Ketchup Mechanism: After a friendly creature action, if your mage has more damage than any other mage, you may sacrifice this creature.  If you do, remove damage from your mage until it has the same damage as the mage with the next most damage.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
Ketchup enchantments!

Bloodthirsty Tomato could have an ability called...

Ketchup Mechanism: After a friendly creature action, if your mage has more damage than any other mage, you may sacrifice this creature.  If you do, remove damage from your mage until it has the same damage as the mage with the next most damage.

Ahh punny :P
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 06:21:55 AM »
Some considerations of seedling pods:
Only one per zone combined with a 3 turn charge time means that you can't focus spawning into one zone like vinetree can. This suggests a strategy of using other zones to effect your vulnerable zones, like a thornlasher or a lifetree.

If you make a seedling pod, and no enemies are close to it, there is not a lot which that pod can do, especially if the zone exclusive slot of that zone is already filled. I don't like making a plant creature which has to move across 4 zones before it can do anything. Part of that is personal taste in that I don't like to include mobile plant creatures(other than ents) into my spellbooks since they seem anti-theme to me.

ideas for more plants:
-non-vine Trees which have arena-wide effect. It might be nice if, when they are treebonded, the effect increases. More incentive to not treebond a spawnpoint.
-a level 3 immobile non-vine plant which is a mix between a bridge troll and a vinesnapper.
-a non-vine plant incantation which effectively teleports(without the teleport subtype) target something(likely a plant object) to its zone. Others have made versions of this already on the forums.

sorry for the necro, but pods aren't one per zone, unless im missing something,

also renewing samara tree discussion? so, it banks your actions, you have many spawn points at the  same time regenerating mana,you can burst into a combo turn in a go i guess,and it can cast any plant conjuration or creature ,not just vines,(trees,elephant grass,mana flower,big tree guy,wall of thorns)  sounds pretty good to me
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 06:26:25 AM by Grimstringer »

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:33:14 AM »
Conjurations follow the "unique name" attachment rule. You cannot have two objects with the same name attached to the same thing. Druid's vine tokens specify that the break this rule.

Problem with seedling pods is that they have a very specific spawn window that can be easily interrupted. I haven't played with them myself in quite a while, but I would love to showcase a unique and interesting Samara tree build.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 07:41:26 AM »
Conjurations follow the "unique name" attachment rule. You cannot have two objects with the same name attached to the same thing. Druid's vine tokens specify that the break this rule.

Problem with seedling pods is that they have a very specific spawn window that can be easily interrupted. I haven't played with them myself in quite a while, but I would love to showcase a unique and interesting Samara tree build.

yeah i thought about the conjuration and just checked 30 seconds ago before checking the reply , meh, this hurts the seeding pod,you have to spread em,have a unique rule for seeding pot heh.,yeah samara tree needs love, and druid academy or alternative must have some plant toys to use !

farkas1

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:11:25 AM »
Yea a zone targeted conjuration can not have more than one copy.  Tanglevine and anything that does not target the zone can have more than one copy.  Vines like puddinhead said are the only exception I believe. 

This rule is often overlooked at least for me I overlooked it up until about a few weeks ago.  So sad for the seedling pods.

I had a friend try this with minds eyes and thank god it does not work because it would wreak havoc.  Still a strong book but not like he was playing it. 
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 12:04:04 PM »
The way to use Samara tree is to create a damned if you, damned if you don't scenario. With Samara often players power economy to hard and that ends up losing them the game. Generally you will want more attack spells (and nature attack incantations) if you want the style to work.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 05:59:14 AM »
i have found Samara Tree builds useful in Domination style games since the opponent has to decide whether to attack a Seedling Pod or make progress on killing a Guardian. With a quick cast and a Spawnpoint the Druid can lay down up to two Pod's a turn while maintaining their full action for another purpose.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:23 AM »
I thought that since zones were not objects, you could target the same zone with more than one. You can put more than one of the same creature in the same zone... why not seedling pods?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2018, 11:08:43 AM »
I thought that since zones were not objects, you could target the same zone with more than one. You can put more than one of the same creature in the same zone... why not seedling pods?

Creatures are not "attached" to the zone.  Conjurations are.  Also, you can't have more than one Hydrothermal Vent attached to the same zone.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2018, 06:52:47 PM »

Creatures are not "attached" to the zone.  Conjurations are.  Also, you can't have more than one Hydrothermal Vent attached to the same zone.

What allows more than one vine marker in a zone? They are conjurations also... are they not attached to the zone?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Kharhaz

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2018, 07:27:28 PM »

What allows more than one vine marker in a zone? They are conjurations also... are they not attached to the zone?

The vine markers allow more than one instance per zone

Vine Markers (Game Marker)
Vine markers are a Living conjuration with 1 life, no armor, and they cannot gain armor. Vine markers hinder enemy non-Flying creatures. Any amount of damage will destroy a Vine Marker, regardless of its total life. They can’t be targeted by ranged attacks. ***Any number of Vine markers can occupy a zone.*** As the Druid, or a familiar or tree spawnpoint she controls, casts a vine spell, you can destroy a target Vine marker she controls as an additional cost to cast that spell. If you do, you may ignore the range of that spell to target that Vine marker’s zone, an object in that Vine marker’s zone, or a border of that Vine marker’s zone. That vine spell must have a legal target. If two or more Druids are playing, each should use a different side of the Vine marker to distinguish ownership.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »
I actually tried samara  vs an inexpierienced friend (well i am one too ) and i really like it, the mana advantage and action saving was great

the bad things were   ,easy to kill the pods,and not possible to use them in non deployment phase (cast creatures mostly at start of turn, having them vulnerable for an entire turn) , slow and commiting

good things, many summons in a turn, huge mana advantage , i liked using the pod , destroying it and putting another one in it's place in the same deployment face, value  :P,the zone restriction isnt that must of a drawback in the end

i liked it :)

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 06:29:15 AM »
I actually tried samara  vs an inexpierienced friend (well i am one too ) and i really like it, the mana advantage and action saving was great

the bad things were   ,easy to kill the pods,and not possible to use them in non deployment phase (cast creatures mostly at start of turn, having them vulnerable for an entire turn) , slow and commiting

good things, many summons in a turn, huge mana advantage , i liked using the pod , destroying it and putting another one in it's place in the same deployment face, value  :P,the zone restriction isnt that must of a drawback in the end

i liked it :)

Once the Etherian Lifetree is in play the Pods have a little more staying power. :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin