September 29, 2024, 01:31:48 AM

Author Topic: Monstrous Lurker  (Read 35395 times)

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Monstrous Lurker
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2015, 02:23:54 PM »
10 mana.        Epidemic.       Incantation.
Range 0-2.        Target: zone.       Quick cast.       Level 3 Dark.

This turn, when poison conditions would be applied to one creature in this zone, one is applied to each creature in this zone instead.

A little something to compete with zombie frenzy for the necro's attention. Not sure if under costed. Depends heavily on build, I guess.

Isn't Egg a poison condition?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2015, 06:12:31 PM »

The thing that bothers me about poison conditions is that icthelid larva are a poison condition.

Sure is. Tried to imply in a previous post that I dislike that classification. I admit 100% that the larva screw up the theme of that idea. The larva aren't so good that I think it would be game breaking to spread the tokens, however. Max cap at 4, and you have to kill creatures to get any real use of the marker.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
...ergh...argh...

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 08, 2015, 11:44:48 PM »

The thing that bothers me about poison conditions is that icthelid larva are a poison condition.

Sure is. Tried to imply in a previous post that I dislike that classification. I admit 100% that the larva screw up the theme of that idea. The larva aren't so good that I think it would be game breaking to spread the tokens, however. Max cap at 4, and you have to kill creatures to get any real use of the marker.

People keep saying they don't think Ichtalids would be that good. I don't know, I've played them and they worked great for me several times. Their big weakness is that they're useless against nonliving, but I've found that what they can do, they do well.

Three free Bugs would be very good, and remember that while you're capped at 4 in play simultaneously, you can always bring back bugs from the discard pile as well as the spellbook. That can easily be more than 4 over the course of the game.

The big thing Bugs do is they offset the long term action disadvantage of using attack spells to kill creatures. If you put a larva on an opponents creature, then kill it with Force Hammer (or Fireball, or Drain Soul or whatever ) you've gained tempo by using a quick action to take out a full action, which means that your opponent (hopefully) lost a move action, and while your attack spell probably cost as much as your opponent's creature, you at least get a critter out of it too.

One of these days I'm going to come up with a good line of play for Necro against mana denial Wizard and other Necros. On that day I'll play in a national tournament with both Sardonyx and Bugs, and then you'll all see! You'll all see!! Haha!

Er, yes.

Anyway, people aren't shy about using attack spells against Conjurations, so it's weird to me that they'd balk at attack spelling creatures. From a cost per health & armor perspective, conjurations are often more durrible than equiv cost creatures.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 11:54:28 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2015, 08:48:38 AM »
7 mana.        Riptide.       Incantation.
Range 0-2.        Target: Flooded zone      Quick cast.       Level 2 Water.

Siren only.

Move each creature in target zone into an adjacent flooded zone.

Something I hope the siren gets. Have not seen confirmation of the siren's abilities anywhere, but I like the idea posted here http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14186.msg41104#msg41104 enough to take it as canon.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 10:04:24 AM by JasonBourneZombie »
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2015, 10:21:22 AM »
8 mana.        Crusader's Plate.       Equipment.
Range 0-2.        Target: Mage       Quick cast.       Level 2 Holy.

Armor +2.
Mage gains Aegis 1 if a holy spell has been cast this turn.

Mostly for the paladin. Not exclusive because I think it balances better if you can steal it.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2015, 02:44:34 PM »
6 mana.        Electric Current.       Attack Spell.
Range 0-2.        Target: Creature or conjuration.        Quick cast.       Level 3 Lightning.

Ranged. Lightning. 4 dice. D6+ Daze. Ethereal

Ranged. Lightning. 4 dice. D6+ Stun. Ethereal. Sustained.

Idea of mine that trades in your ability to cast different spell's each turn for greater mana efficiency.

Sustained would be: When a Mage casts and has resolved this spell, as a quick cast, that Mage may pay half the cost of the spell in order to cast the sustained attack on the same target.

The wording is a little sloppy, but I think the mechanic works. Kind of like double strike for spells.

...ergh...argh...

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »
That's not the worse idea. Maybe pay half the cost to get an attack at half the damage, assuming the first attack hit.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
Half the damage wouldn't really be worth it in a number of situations.  It may be that my example isn't quite mana balanced, but the idea is that the base cost is a little expensive for what you get, and the sustained plus base spell cost is a little cheap.

As one comparison, hurl boulder is one quick cast, 2 range 8 dice with a 8+ slam. The proposed spell would require a full action and quick cast to sustain it, yielding 2 range 4 dice ethereal X 2 with a 6+daze and 6+stun.

Armor will soak twice on one target, but you can choose two targets, so the die pool is somewhat comparable.
I don't quite know how ethereal balances (i know it is a substantial cost for attack spells) so costs may be off.
...ergh...argh...

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
8 mana.        Metamorphose.        Incantation.
Range 0-2.        Target: Friendly Creature.        Full cast.       Level 3 Arcane.

You may return target creature to your spellbook and replace it with another. All objects and markers attached to the first creature are transferred.

Wanted the wizard to be a little more creature based, and yet still view summoned creatures as magical structures.
...ergh...argh...

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2015, 12:10:06 PM »
8 mana.        Metamorphose.        Incantation.
Range 0-2.        Target: Friendly Creature.        Full cast.       Level 3 Arcane.

You may return target creature to your spellbook and replace it with another. All objects and markers attached to the first creature are transferred.

Wanted the wizard to be a little more creature based, and yet still view summoned creatures as magical structures.

Seems way too strong:
- Change an imp into adramelech for 8 mana
- Change a vine snapper in the wrong zone into cervere
- Change a high armor, low health/ethereal/zombie creature that took a lot of hits into a regenerating high health, low armor one. (troll)
- use it to bring back an almost dead epic creature to your book.

The idea seems a lot of fun, but it would be INCREDIBLY hard to balance it.  Almost doomed for errata.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2015, 09:18:08 PM »
I figured it was a long shot. I knew there would be balancing issues, but I had assumed having to spend 8 mana and a full action to 'abuse' the spell might chase off most nasty combos. Ironically, did not figure on zombies. That is broken as all get out.

Maybe the replacing creature must have the same living and corporeality status as the first. Maybe share a creature type...

Those restrictions might reduce the 'costs' of the spell as well. Will put out a new version tomorrow, I think.
...ergh...argh...

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2015, 12:22:43 AM »
A spin on your idea:
an illusion that makes one creature look like another.
the illusion could be an enchantment that must be revealed when creature interacts with anything.

or it could be a creature spell called "disguised creature" which is slow, has no attacks, and has a spellbound creature attached to it. The creature becomes the facedown one when hit or as a free action.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
Maybe the replacing creature must have the same living and corporeality status as the first. Maybe share a creature type...

having the same subtype seems like a very good start. Maybe the same level, no legendary's or epic? I'm just thinking out loud.  ::)

Or a mana cost: 6+3x, x being each higher level the new creature has.

Imp: cost 5
transfuse it into adramelech: 6+5*3 = way too much. (what I want)

Gorgon Archer --> Darkfenne Hydra: 6 mana
Asyran defender --> Knight of Westlock: 9 mana
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:51:34 AM by Halewijn »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2015, 05:40:52 AM »
That's not the worse idea. Maybe pay half the cost to get an attack at half the damage, assuming the first attack hit.

But why add another trait to the rules when you could just use Doublestrike on Attack spells? Or perhaps this becomes an ability of the Elementalist mage. Pay 2 x spell level to add Doublestrike to a trained Attack spell.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

JasonBourneZombie

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
But why add another trait to the rules when you could just use Doublestrike on Attack spells? Or perhaps this becomes an ability of the Elementalist mage. Pay 2 x spell level to add Doublestrike to a trained Attack spell.

Most attacks get the double or triple strike ability as part of their balancing. 16 mana cost hydra would be a lot worse without the triple strike. So this would be an ability that changes the overall cost of a spell to ramp up the effect as well.

having the same subtype seems like a very good start. Maybe the same level, no legendary's or epic? I'm just thinking out loud.  ::)

Or a mana cost: 6+3x, x being each higher level the new creature has.

Imp: cost 5
transfuse it into adramelech: 6+5*3 = way too much. (what I want)

Gorgon Archer --> Darkfenne Hydra: 6 mana
Asyran defender --> Knight of Westlock: 9 mana

What I'm trying to balance is the fact that a second cast for a creature to hit the field is a cost, and that damage and conditions transfer as well. You can beat a scourger half to death easily. Adremalech not as easy. So if adremalech hits the field half dead, paying 24 mana is ridiculous.
...ergh...argh...