April 25, 2024, 05:35:26 PM

Author Topic: Quickcasting Trait  (Read 8153 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Quickcasting Trait
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2015, 07:33:53 PM »
I was looking at [mwcard=MWSTX2FFC07] Gurmash, Orc Seargeant[/mwcard] today and came to the same conclusion as before :
- he can't fight AND cast a spell during the same round
- as a Fighter there are better creatures to summon
- to cast Command Incantations he seems like a heavy investment

Wouldn't he be a much more attractive option if he could move, fight or guard AND cast a Command spell in 1 round. Maybe Creature Familiars should get the QUICKCAST Trait.

I do not agree that Gurmash doesn't work well for the reasons you mentioned (must choose to cast or attack). Instead, I look at this as a benefit... he is flexible. If he needs to attack a creature to use a Flank Attack bonus, for example, he can do that. If his Piercing Strike spell will be more useful in the situation, he can cast it instead. Also, he channels mana... none of those better-attacking creatures do that.

Yes, there are better creatures to use to attack with... but they do not give you the ability to channel or the option to cast spells instead of attack when that becomes the better option.

Take for example [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02] Wizard's Tower[/mwcard] and [mwcard=DNJ02] Corrosive Orchid[/mwcard]

Two conjurations, not creatures, but it's what they do mechanically that's important here.
Both can be activated before or after a creature activation.

So, mechanically, it's as if these cards give your mage an additional QUICKCAST MARKER each because that's what a Quickcast marker does. It gives you the opportunity to cast a quick spell before or after an activation.

I disagree that this is mechanically the same as the Wizard Tower, etc. The Wizard Tower can only do one thing... cast the attached spell. Familiar creatures can move and/or cast their attached spells. The difference between a familiar creature and the Wizard Tower simply is that the Wizard Tower can combo with a creature's action. This seems (to me, anyway) to compensate for its immobility.

If you want to say that there should be a limit on the number of instant-type actions that conjurations, etc. can take place before the opponent can act, then I have no objection. However, I do have to disagree with your premise here.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess