April 29, 2024, 08:05:23 AM

Author Topic: Origins Game Fair  (Read 2958 times)

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Origins Game Fair
« on: May 01, 2015, 08:13:42 AM »
     This year I have left a significant portion of events open, I am planning on spending the majority of my time playing Mage Wars and Mage Wars Domination, either in the Arcane Wonders area or the boardroom.  Who else is planning on attending?

SharkBait

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
Re: Origins Game Fair
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 09:03:59 AM »
I'll be at Origins generally bouncing among Battletech (Solaris Melee) and Mage Wars depending on how much MW stuff is happening.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
When in doubt, kill it with fire

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »
I have pre-ordered MW Domination and I am planning to play the hell out of it.  Origins is the only time that I get to play against opponents that I have not taught the game to.  Hope to see you there!

PoppaBear

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 11:03:23 PM »
I'll be there all 4 days running demos.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
Ex Ordo Chaos

Phoenix

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 07:23:56 AM »
I know that Origins is the prerelease for Battlegrounds Domination, but is there any chance to see maybe a prototype of Academy?

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Origins Game Fair
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 09:00:52 AM »
Prototype? You mean preview right? Why would you want to see a prototype? A mere prototype won't be as good. A prototype is the first test version of something. If you want to work with prototypes you should become a playtester. If you'd rather only play something that's already been sufficiently tested for levels of balance, challenge and fun, then there's no reason to ask for prototypes. I too am eagerly anticipating Academy. We must be patient.

Also I want to point out that it's a great thing that arcane wonders cares so much about quality and customer satisfaction that they will usually not set deadlines or predict release dates prematurely, and then if they do so they are honest about it, apologize for getting everyone's hopes up too soon, then delay the release date to a more manageable timeframe. I'm not sure if I've ever met any group of people who were collectively THAT good at managing the planning fallacy.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of companies (or at least American companies, or maybe just companies I'm exposed to) would prefer to rush to meet deadlines whether their product is entirely complete or not, and then pretend it was the finished product after all, so they can look more reliable, efficient and skilled at what they do, because getting out completed projects by their deadlines looks better than getting out completed projects late.

But Arcane Wonders doesn't try to posture like that. If the product is incomplete, they don't try to pretend that it is, but instead delay the release date. And they tell us when they're doing that. I kind of wish everyone would follow their example when it comes to their quality assurance and customer relations, but I'm not sure if Arcane Wonders would be so successful if everyone started doing things like they do. :P

I suspect being genuinely nicer and more respectful to and more caring about one's customers to the extent Arcane Wonders is will be a winning business strategy for them because it's so uncommon as to make them exceptional.

Then again, business is definitely not my specialty, I'm just speculating lol.

In any case, I'm eagerly looking forward to Academy and probably Battlegrounds too. I hope by the time these things are released we will all understand why it took so long after forged in fire.

I hope we get a better turnout at origins this year! If only six people show up this time I think I will just die.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 09:02:36 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.