April 29, 2024, 09:39:09 AM

Author Topic: How to use Feral Bobcats and my birthday wish  (Read 7613 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
How to use Feral Bobcats and my birthday wish
« on: April 15, 2015, 09:55:50 AM »
Half a centuary passes soooooo fast..  :D

Anyway im working to improve my Beastmaster skills, and i want to make a spellbook with [mwcard=MW1C14]Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]s

I need a way to move these guys around so i can make use of their charge bonus.

First dear Arcane Wonders my birthday wish is a "Call of the Wind" spell just like [mwcard=MW1I03]Call of the Wild[/mwcard] just replace the Melee+1 with Fast.
Im not saying it should just cost 4 mana like Call of the Wild.

Something like [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI02]Akiro's Battle Cry[/mwcard] or this [mwcard=DNI06]Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard] for my lovely animals would also be very welcome  :)

From anyone else: give me your best ideas on how to use [mwcard=MW1C14]Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]

Biblo
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: How to use Feral Bobcats and my birthday wish
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:19:41 AM »
Congrats on the big day.

I'm assuming you got the Bobcats into the mage's zone once already and want to reuse their Charge +2. 
Caveat: I've never been successful with them, but here are some random ideas:

- [mwcard=FWI07]Repulse[/mwcard] + [mwcard=MW1J22]Tanglevine[/mwcard] (etc)? (keep the opposing mage from moving but push all your cats away 1 space so they can Charge back in; of course, you have to be in and stay in the same zone as the opposing mage, so this assumes you're OK with being engaged in melee combat)
- [mwcard=MW1W04]Wall of Thorns[/mwcard] + [mwcard=MW1Q19]Mage Wand[/mwcard] of [mwcard=MW1I12]Force Push[/mwcard] (to push the enemy mage through the wall, then have your Bobcats charge through unscathed and attack; rinse, repeat.  Need to be on a diagonal so you can keep LoS on the opposing mage. Note: Doesn't combo with [mwcard=MWSTX1CKC04]Makunda[/mwcard] or other large cats).
- Lots of [mwcard=MW1E05]Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]s? (prohibitively inefficient in terms of actions, but highly thematic for a "cat book"; perhaps recruit [mwcard=MW1C13]Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard] to help you out if you can afford to delay a round or two)

In any case, [mwcard=MW1E14]Enfeeble[/mwcard] is your friend.

P.S. It's probably easier to go with [mwcard=MW1C04]Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]es and put out a [mwcard=MW1J01]Rajan's Fury[/mwcard] or two, along with [mwcard=DNJ03]Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard] so they can each afford to take a (single) hit.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:20:36 AM »
Instead of giving them melee +X, charge +X might give a better synergy: use a couple of Rajan's Fury, Lion Savagery and Charge.

Charge is a war school card, but very useful for feral bobcats. You can then make a bobcat attacking with 7-8 dice easily when charging!

On top of that, Makunda or Tooth and Nails can help by adding some piercing to the attack: GO KILLER BOBCAT!

And then, later in the game, Etherian Lifetree will boost their life juse enough to resist a norml blow, so that you can attack with them at least two rounds before they die.

Just make sure you place them well, you don't want them all to be in the same zone because the charge trait can easily be countered.

My 0.02$.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 01:32:15 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIBLOFILTER

The bobcat is a pretty awesome creature. There are a few good suggestions already posted so I won't repeat them. I would consider it a good cost (5 mana and a full action) if you get 1 charge attack and guard with it. If the Bobcat's defense dodges an attack its even better! The good thing about these little guys is that they are so cheap!

*WARNING* There has never been a successful dodge by a Bobcat ever. It's like they just want to go back to the window and ignore you all day, then meow at you for no reason in the middle of the night.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 01:40:38 PM by Coshade »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 05:57:09 PM »
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIBLOFILTER

Thank you

*WARNING* There has never been a successful dodge by a Bobcat ever. It's like they just want to go back to the window and ignore you all day, then meow at you for no reason in the middle of the night.

Most of my Bobcats actually roll 11 or 12 on their defence roll.  :) (we cant all be unlucky)
 [mwcard=MW1J01] Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]don´t solve the problem - it make its even more important to get that charge bonus - which is hard as they are not fast or elusive/flying.

I have an idea where i include a Mage Wand with Teleport, Force Push, Force Bash or Force Wave.

Imagine putting an Tanglevine on the opponent mage then a Wall of Thorns + [mwcard=FWI04]Force Wave[/mwcard] on all your 6 Feral Bobcats + the ~4 [mwcard=DNC14]Skeletal Knight[/mwcard] or ~4 [mwcard=DNC22]Zombie Brute[/mwcard]  then your Bobcats should be able to attack the opponent mage next round with the charge bonus (or at least they threaten to do that)

Expensive and difficult to pull off. Force Wave is range 1-1 + away from caster - pretty expensive and very uncertain..

Still Wall of Thorns and Feral Bobcats (or Bitterwood Foxes) has a really good synergy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:16:33 PM by Biblofilter »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 01:31:24 AM »
Half a centuary passes soooooo fast..  :D

Anyway im working to improve my Beastmaster skills, and i want to make a spellbook with [mwcard=MW1C14]Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]s

I need a way to move these guys around so i can make use of their charge bonus.

First dear Arcane Wonders my birthday wish is a "Call of the Wind" spell just like [mwcard=MW1I03]Call of the Wild[/mwcard] just replace the Melee+1 with Fast.
Im not saying it should just cost 4 mana like Call of the Wild.

Something like [mwcard=MWSTX1CKI02]Akiro's Battle Cry[/mwcard] or this [mwcard=DNI06]Zombie Frenzy[/mwcard] for my lovely animals would also be very welcome  :)

From anyone else: give me your best ideas on how to use [mwcard=MW1C14]Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]

Biblo
I don't think it's about forcing the charge bonus: it's about giving your opponent tough choices.

So with Johktari Beastmaster, you can take potshots at the enemy mage with a bow. If they want to come and hit you, or move out of range, they're getting into charge range of your cats.

Also, as has been said, you can mix up defensive and aggressive usage.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:15:55 AM »
Hi Biblofilter,

Congratulations with your birthday.
Don't worry about the age, there's at least one over here who's older than you ;)

To get the most out of the Feral Bobcats I think you could use a "finesse" strategy, like for example :

Design your spellbook around a "moving" mage, not a "stationary" one, this implies him to be more of a support/ranged/control mage than a melee mage.

Use your mage as bait to draw in the opposing mage ( works best on a melee opponent obviously )

Each round, ( try to ) move your mage out of a zone containing one or more cats into an adjacent zone containing another ( preferably guarding ) cat.

This way you can move into the protection of a creature with a Defense, while at the same time setting up the Charge effect of the other ones.

Since "moving" will be key to this strategy, Force Push fits in perfectly and thus WoT as well. :)

Add some Dispel, Dissolve, Acid Ball, Etherian Lifetree and Rajan's Fury and you may have the core of a spellbook.

This also seems to be a spellbook that could go very low on enchantments, the cats are certainly best used without any additional costs on them, so I would try to go for an enchantmentless book and add a Harshforge Monolith to punish the opposition.

PS come to think of it : a few copies of [mwcard=MW1C33] Sosruko, Ferret Companion[/mwcard] may fit in this strategy as well.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 09:46:25 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster