March 28, 2024, 05:24:07 PM

Author Topic: Card selection  (Read 9233 times)

dkasser

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Card selection
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:35 AM »
While mage wars has a basic set of guidelines for card selection, if you only have 1 base set, then disagreements occur over who gets which cards. My brother and I are having trouble coming up with a solution, and any suggestions are appreciated. Our current system is that we flip a coin over contested cards, and to put it bluntly, it is lacking. Please help

- dkasser

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Card selection
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:26:49 PM »
There are no official rules or method for dividing cards between players. I would suggest reading some of the drafting suggestions in the alternative play forum.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
Hmm, interesting problem.  If I were in your situation, here is what I would consider 'fair':

1) You cannot claim a card unless it's actually in your spellbook.  If it's not actually included in your spellbook, it's fair game for the other player.  Period.

2) The mage trained in the relevant schools always gets first pick of all spells in their trained school.  If the other player wants some from that school, he has to wait and possibly do without.  The exception is the Wizard: certain key spells (Teleport, Dispel, Dissolve, maybe Nullify) need to be shared evenly.  In the case of odd numbers though (three Teleports), the extra card in the Arcane school would go to the Wizard if he wants it.  Also, Warlock trumps Wizard for Fire spells.  (Recommendation: DO NOT BUY CONQUEST OF KUMANJARO!!! ; )

3) Once those hurdles are passed, any remaining contested cards are put together.  Flip a coin to see who goes first.  The winner chooses one card from the pile, then the loser chooses one, then the winner, then the loser, and so on until all the cards are chosen.  Every once in a while (say, a week or a month, depending on how often you play) you agree to possibly redesigning your spellbooks and doing this whole process again: priorities change as you play for a while, and it gives a player another chance to try a card they really want.

dkasser

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Thanks for replying so quickly, Your suggestion seems like it could work

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:35:48 PM »
I would just go with proxies. Write it on a piece of paper and put it in front of a card that obviously wouldn't go in your spellbook (make a list of what cards correspond to which proxies so in case an issue comes up about whether that card was actually in your book you can point to the list).

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
Proxies.  Duh.  I'm always forgetting proxies.  *wanders off grumbling to himself* ; )

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 01:03:05 PM »
Here are a few ideas:

-Thunder Dome battles winner gets the card.
-Arm wrestle.
-Roll a dice and high roll gets first pick.
-Play vastly different mages so you don't have to worry about over lap so much. One of you gets Mana Crystals, the other Mana Flowers.
-Take turns playing each others books.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 03:14:20 PM »
Step in to the Octgon and winner takes all?

On a serious note, use proxies.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
Or buy more stuff????