April 28, 2024, 06:53:56 PM

Author Topic: Basic spell purchase option through Arcane Wonders  (Read 3010 times)

Chicken the God

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Basic spell purchase option through Arcane Wonders
« on: April 05, 2015, 11:23:31 AM »
So like many of you, I run multiple spellbooks. I use proxies in my spellbooks for a lot of my spells, because some spells work in many decks. I know people have discussed this before, and I can see how putting 20 basics, such as dissolve, in the base set might only be useful to some---causing wasted money printing by arcane, but what if arcane wonders sold certain singles in high demand on their website for ~.25 cent each (Maybe a minimum of 20-40 card purchase required). Ie, you could order 20 jinxs, dissolves ect. Just 20 of each of those each would be $10 + s/h. They could send it to you in a small Manila package---no need for package design or additional cost on them, aside from printing. They could make a reasonable profit and keep hardcore players happy minimizing at least most of their proxies . I understand they may not be able to offer ever card like this, but maybe just the highly utilized ones.

Here's a list of most of the basic cards I would want:
Leather boots (6)
Leather gloves(6)
Enchanter's ring(6)
Deflection bracers(2)
Moonglow amulet (2)
Mage wand (8)
Nullify (16)
Jinx (16)
Eagles wings (10)
Bear strength (10)
Cheetah speed (6)
Force orb (3)
Force sword (3)
Dispel (16)
Dissolve (16)
Force push (8)
Teleport (10)
Shift enchantment (10)

Note: The numbers in parentheses  are the rough estimates of quantities I would personally want, but I'm sure I could come up with a more accurate number if I examined my spellbook/extras.

We could all vote on 20-40 cards that we'd want available though the arcane wonders store. 154x.25$ (for me)=$38.5 + s/h. I think that's reasonable incentive for arcane wonders if people want 20+ of these basics. You could spend only $10-$20 and get plenty. You'd also be supporting the game we love at a reasonable price and return. I am guessing if there was enough demand, arcane could do a large print run of just those cards, keep them in storage and ship them directly to consumers.

What's your thoughts?----both creators and fans.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Basic spell purchase option through Arcane Wonders
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:42:29 PM »
My guess is that this will never happen. It seems to have been their desire to not price singles like Magic, etc.

They did provide the alternative of buying additional Core Spell Tomes, and let us know which cards are in each. Sure, you might need four or six or more of the Tomes to get all the copies that you want this way, but I like it better.

As you say, you can always use proxies instead anyway....
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Basic spell purchase option through Arcane Wonders
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:41:22 PM »
Plus it's a lot less expensive this way. If they sold singles the single cards would have to be priced differently otherwise it's just not worth it for them to do. It would basically become a ccg. I prefer mage wars to be sold like an LCG so i can actually afford it.

I would like to make a few things clear to those who still don't understand. First of all, mage wars is already very affordable. And while spellbook design is important, player skill is just as important a factor in this game if not more so. You don't necessarily need to buy every expansion to win games against the best players. (Although it does help) What you invest in buying cards you can also invest in practice. If you can't afford to buy every expansion, then don't. I keep seeing people complaining about their lack of access to certain cards, and they seem to genuinely believe that to be a significant barrier to succeeding in competitive play. It is not a barrier, merely a disadvantage, and not that big of one either. One of these days I am going to post all of my core-set x1 only spellbooks and people will play them and win with them. You'll see. :P
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
Re: Basic spell purchase option through Arcane Wonders
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
If you are looking at buying single cards I would suggest looking to ebay. I think there is one guy out there that buys a bunch of main sets then sells them out as single cards. It's pricey though so probably not worth it compared to proxy cards.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest