September 28, 2024, 07:12:00 PM

Author Topic: Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over  (Read 16780 times)

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
Re: Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2015, 09:52:39 AM »
To be honest, i sometimes do special sound effects when casting some spells. It is unintentional but boosting my rolls :)

I'll have to try this.  Maybe crinkle some aluminum foil when casting lighting spells.  LOL.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 02:03:51 PM »
Upload something! (even a trailer would be fine)  ;D

Fancy sound effects and everything - im all for it, but i think a steady stream of videos is more important.

So i suggest you set a goal of at least 1 video a month (im fine with a higher frequency but..) and then record a few videos in advance, so you get a more regular uploading.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

rodriguekhalil

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »
Upload something! (even a trailer would be fine)  ;D

Fancy sound effects and everything - im all for it, but i think a steady stream of videos is more important.

So i suggest you set a goal of at least 1 video a month (im fine with a higher frequency but..) and then record a few videos in advance, so you get a more regular uploading.

Agreed!  I was more than okay with the previous videos.

If adding the special effects will hinder you from posting regularly, then forget about them, just go simple. Your game quality was already good enough to make the videos interesting without adding anything else. I also liked your commented spellbook building.

It gave me some ideas and strategies for my spellbooks and the comments you left after each game.

I'm a fan!  Thanks guys!

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2015, 02:17:48 AM »
I have an idea for mini-videos: small specific strategic themed How to use .............................

How to use Walls
How to use Knockdown
How to use Maim Wings
How to use the Slam condition (why is Surging Wave good)
How to use Jinx

The how could easily be replaced by When or how/when not to.

The list goes on :)

What do you think?
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2015, 05:48:23 AM »
I have an idea for mini-videos: small specific strategic themed How to use .............................

How to use Walls
How to use Knockdown
How to use Maim Wings
How to use the Slam condition (why is Surging Wave good)
How to use Jinx

The how could easily be replaced by When or how/when not to.

The list goes on :)

What do you think?

Biblo! This is great feedback. The Quickcasts we mentioned are exactly what you're talking about. We want to do short videos discussing strategy. So far we've worked on topics like "Openings" and "midgame". Your topics will now be thrown into our pile of topics that players may want to discuss more in depth.

For future plans we want to set up a system where people get to vote on such topics. Would this work? And what could we add to this idea?
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2015, 06:03:47 AM »
Also!

We released an update video. It's nothing you haven't heard already if you've read this post but we do have a bit of artwork (generously provided from a friend) that hits home with the medieval style we want for the future Arcane Duels episodes. Check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s26iGEaolg

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2015, 11:31:03 AM »
Nice  :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Waylorn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »
I would like to see Octgn games with some players from that community and see how they fare. I dont know how savvy you are, but Linux has some awesome tools for video editing. There are some distros that are dedicated to video and audio production... for free. Just a thought. I would start with linux min 17.1 and try a few of the editors you can find with a quick google search.

Here is a pretty good list of what is around.
http://www.linux.org/threads/video-editors.6510/

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 07:57:53 AM »
Have you ever watched an OCTGN amtch on YouTube? Personally, i'd rather stab myself then watch those. They are so Boring. I also don't like playing on OCTGN, because I think that is incrediblly boring as well.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Arcane Duels: The Wait is Over
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 11:16:30 AM »
Have you ever watched an OCTGN amtch on YouTube? Personally, i'd rather stab myself then watch those. They are so Boring. I also don't like playing on OCTGN, because I think that is incrediblly boring as well.

The global metagame of the standard mage wars format has been getting rather dull and repetitive hasn't it? It's been almost a year since the last expansion, Forged in Fire, was released.

Really, everyone who is so bored and fed up with the current metagame really ought to try something new for a change and play some alternate variants. I and at least several other people have posted dozens of them on these forums, and most of them have received little to no feedback. As far as I know the ONLY alternate variant that has ever been played AT ALL on octgn is zuberi's life bonded format in 2v2. Now is the perfect time to delve into some alternate variants. Unless you'd rather stay bored a little longer.

I am nearing the point of giving up and not posting any alternate variants ever again. There's no reason to even have that section on the forums if not even ONE person besides myself is willing to try any of them. If no one is ever going to play any alternate variants besides zuberi's lifebonded format, then we might as well have that whole section locked or deleted from the forums except for zuberi's thread.

@Arcane duels
You don't have to, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you tried using some alternate variants in some episodes, to show people how fun they can actually be and maybe get people interested.

Here is a list of alternate variants that I consider to be worthy of organized play:

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14535

I like your series a lot. Thank you so much and keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 11:35:48 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

rant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • p00pstar on Octgn
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 12:11:59 PM »

I am nearing the point of giving up and not posting any alternate variants ever again. There's no reason to even have that section on the forums if not even ONE person besides myself is willing to try any of them. If no one is ever going to play any alternate variants besides zuberi's lifebonded format, then we might as well have that whole section locked or deleted from the forums except for zuberi's thread.

Damn bro, don't do that. Even if people aren't commenting, they are certainly reading them.

I think the problem is that the base game is difficult to digest. Once the rules have been hammered down its then onto figuring out what strategy works best for you. Then adding cards to your book, removing what doesn't work. Then coming here to the forums to see what new tricks the community has come up with and formulating a plan to avoid said trick. This is all time consuming stuff that a lot of us might not have the time to do.

Sailor, your variants are always solid and I enjoy reading them. You add a lot to this community and I appreciate it.

I think the reason that people don't comment on your variants is because the community as a whole, just isn't there yet.

Chin up dude, you rock!  We'll catch up to you soon enough.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:24:41 PM by rant »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Varys

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »
Awesome news! I can't wait to see more of your videos.  I love watching your videos over something done on OCTGN.  Sadly, your videos are my only means of seeing Mage Wars in action since I can't find anyone to play around here.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54:39 PM »

The global metagame of the standard mage wars format has been getting rather dull and repetitive hasn't it? It's been almost a year since the last expansion, Forged in Fire, was released.

I dont mean it's gotten boring as in became stale, because everyone is playing net decks, etc.  I mean it's boring in the sense it makes me want to fal asleep. between the slow play, and the lack of human interaction, it's just boring for me. 

Granted Iwish I had a group of friends where every week we meet and play MW in person. I prefer the human interaction compared to a computer scren. This is also why I hated Magic online (MTGO) compared to Magic with physical Cards. I also noticed that when I play online I tend to make more play mistakes then I do in person.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2015, 03:31:50 AM »
I would like to see Octgn games with some players from that community and see how they fare. I dont know how savvy you are, but Linux has some awesome tools for video editing. There are some distros that are dedicated to video and audio production... for free. Just a thought. I would start with linux min 17.1 and try a few of the editors you can find with a quick google search.

@Waylorn
I'm pretty glad people have been talking about this. We actually are planning some collaboration as I speak and should start something like this soon. We would love to highlight some of the influential players so we can get a solidified "professional" base going. I'm not familiar with Linux at all but we do have a lot of power at our fingertips regardless, especially with a dedicated Editor.

Intangible0

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2015, 03:32:17 AM »

@Arcane duels
You don't have to, but I would REALLY appreciate it if you tried using some alternate variants in some episodes, to show people how fun they can actually be and maybe get people interested.

@Sailor Vulcan
This is a great idea. We have a video of a funny variant but nothing regarding more than two players. I'll take a look at them and come up with something fun soon!

Also, I'd appreciate it if you didn't give up on the fantastic work you're doing. Your input and ideas are very important to this community!