April 25, 2024, 11:41:23 PM

Author Topic: OR spell schools in game  (Read 3023 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
OR spell schools in game
« on: March 15, 2015, 07:52:11 AM »
When determining the school of a spell during the game (NOT during spellbook construction), does a spell with multiple choices for the spell school (such as [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard] or [mwcard=MW1Q09]Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]) count as being all of its spell schools, or only the one that was chosen for spellbook construction?

For instance, suppose I am a necromancer, and have equipped an elemental wand. So far, so good. Then you play a card (let's call it "Baleful Resonance") that gives all Earth spells the Upkeep +1 trait.

If the wand is treated as counting as all four elemental schools at once, then no problem; it gains upkeep +1 because it counts as an Earth spell.

But if it only counts as the school that I chose during spellbook construction, we have a bit of a problem. Being lazy, I had seen that all four school choices cost the same, and therefore did not bother choosing. So I have no idea what school it is.

Even if I had chosen a school, keeping track of which one it was is an undesirable burden.

So does the wand count as all four elemental schools simultaneously, then? I assume it does, but I want a ruling so that I can be sure.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: OR spell schools in game
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 08:46:28 PM »
Just speculating... I'd think along the same lines as you.

I can't imagine that there would be any way to track which way you paid the spellbook point cost for a particular spell during construction. I suppose that you might presume that you paid the fewest points possible, but that doesn't have to be the case.

The only way I can see this working is that the spell would have to be considered to be from each of the schools listed, just as "AND" school spells are treated.

Can anyone official confirm?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 08:49:18 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: OR spell schools in game
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 10:13:17 PM »
I don't think there is an official answer for this, so I agree that we need one. I would think though that it would be similar to a Wizard's training, which gets declared at the beginning of the game when you reveal your Mage to your opponent. You simply declare the school when you cast or reveal the spell. More realistically though, you would declare it when asked by your opponent.

Thus, in situations where it didn't matter during book construction and where you didn't really put any thought into it, you'd simply make a choice when asked by your opponent and it is then set in stone. This will probably only occur when it may affect your opponent's plans.