April 29, 2024, 06:59:50 AM

Author Topic: Daze and Quickcast Attack Spell  (Read 4589 times)

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Daze and Quickcast Attack Spell
« on: March 03, 2015, 08:02:37 PM »
A priestess has a daze marker at the beginning of the round.  As a quickcast spell, she wants to cast a Pillar of Light Attack spell.  Does she have to roll a 7 or more to make the attack?  Or, is the fact that it is a quickcast spell and not an action, make the priestess exempt from rolling a seven or above to escape the daze condition?

Please could somebody clarify this.  Thanks a lot.
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Daze and Quickcast Attack Spell
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »
She would need to make the daze roll.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 12:54:29 AM »
She cast spell without problem. Spell is granting her attack action. For attack action, daze roll is needed.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:12:37 PM »
While using the quickcast marker may not be an action in itself, casting the spell allowed by flipping the marker is indeed an action, at least from what I understand. I know... it isn't an "action" marker... but Mages are special.

I know this isn't exactly what you are asking, but I thought I would toss this in:

The way to use the quick attack spell without having to make a Daze roll is for the Mage to act first (after which the Daze marker is removed), and then use the Mage's quickcast marker in casting the quick attack spell.

You can always have Goblin bombers get dazed and then explode on the enemy... there is no roll needed for that attack :)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 05:17:18 PM by DaveW »
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 03:17:22 PM »
Thanks sdougla2 and Boocheck, I appreciate your answers.  I believed this was the case, my opponent contested it.

With no intention of undermining your judgement, I can see that you both have a high volume of posts on the forum, is there some kind of hierarchy on the forum from which I could receive an 'official' reply?  My opponent and I were unable to clear this up by use of the rule book and rule book supplement and without something 'official', my opponent refuses to accept that my proposal, and indeed your replies, are correct.

A generic question could have been 'Does a quickcast attack spell trigger the daze condition dice roll?'.

DaveW, your solution was how we resolved the issue at the time.  This post is very much a means of clarification.

Thanks guys.
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 03:53:33 PM »
Thanks sdougla2 and Boocheck, I appreciate your answers.  I believed this was the case, my opponent contested it.

With no intention of undermining your judgement, I can see that you both have a high volume of posts on the forum, is there some kind of hierarchy on the forum from which I could receive an 'official' reply?  My opponent and I were unable to clear this up by use of the rule book and rule book supplement and without something 'official', my opponent refuses to accept that my proposal, and indeed your replies, are correct.

A generic question could have been 'Does a quickcast attack spell trigger the daze condition dice roll?'.

DaveW, your solution was how we resolved the issue at the time.  This post is very much a means of clarification.

Thanks guys.
The mage would be unable to cast a Quick Attack Spell when it fails the condition roll because after you finish the Spell Casting steps you then proceed through the steps of the Attack Action. This applies while the Daze Marker is on the Mage and lasts until it is removed.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 04:11:43 PM »
The mage would cast the spell (you complete all of the steps of casting a spell and you still have to pay the cost of the attack spell), the attack just wouldn't land if you failed the daze roll.

I can't give you an official answer in the sense that I am not an official source, but I can point you to the relevant rules references.

On page 14 of the rulebook it says that:

Attack spells allow your spell caster to attack a target in the arena. When the spell resolves, you make the attack on the target.

On page 3 of the rules supplement, it gives the phases used for all types of attacks. It indicates that you must roll for daze when making a single target ranged attack (and all other types of attacks except damage barriers).

Alternatively, you could look at the rulebook on page 23, where it says:

When you cast an attack spell, it is both a spell and an attack. First, you must follow all steps for casting, just like any spell. Then, if the spell is not countered, you must resolve the attack, following the steps for attacking. The target of the attack is always the same as the target you chose when you cast the spell. Attack spells will not show a “quick” or “full” action icon on the attack bar, because the quick or full action required to make the attack occurs when the spell is cast. Also, the range of the attack is determined by the range of the spell, so no range is shown on the attack bar. They also do not have an “attack name” on the bar, because the name of the attack is the same as the spell.

Which means that you treat an attack spell just like any other attack. You must go through all of the steps of an attack, including the possibility of missing due to a daze condition. You have to go through the declare attack step, and at the end of the declare attack step, if you have a daze condition, you must check to see if you miss.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 04:24:49 PM »
Thanks sIKE.

Thank you sdougla2 for the comprehensive answer with references to the sources, that's perfect.  I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

I consider this as solved, there doesn't appear to be an option to mark as solved, unless I've missed something?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 04:56:29 PM »
No, you're not missing anything. :) We understand you. Glad they could be of service.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »
^

And thats an official source   ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2015, 04:10:43 AM »
Indeed, an official source.

Thanks a lot guys.