March 28, 2024, 07:51:43 AM

Author Topic: Has anyone else noticed how badass the Wizard is Vs. almost every mage?  (Read 24690 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone else noticed how badass the Wizard is Vs. almost every mage?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2015, 06:20:24 PM »
The Wizard is in no way shape or form all powerful, unbeatable, or over powered. Yeah he's flexible but almost to a detrimental point. He's a very good mage but he can be taken down. You just need to be able to adapt to his tricks like any other mage. He's also one of the simplest for new players to get good with so I think that leads a lot of folks into thinking he's "the best." Honestly with the exception of the Malakai Priest I think any mage can get the job done, win matches, and even tournaments. You just need to sit down, practice. and learn your mages. Do that and you can beat a Wizard.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Has anyone else noticed how badass the Wizard is Vs. almost every mage?
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 11:39:52 PM »
The Wizard is in no way shape or form all powerful, unbeatable, or over powered. Yeah he's flexible but almost to a detrimental point. He's a very good mage but he can be taken down. You just need to be able to adapt to his tricks like any other mage. He's also one of the simplest for new players to get good with so I think that leads a lot of folks into thinking he's "the best." Honestly with the exception of the Malakai Priest I think any mage can get the job done, win matches, and even tournaments. You just need to sit down, practice. and learn your mages. Do that and you can beat a Wizard.

You can't dispel a myth that easily, especially since it used to be true. *puts on tinfoil hat*

The Wizard IS overpowered. His training in arcane means he can have more copies of most of the auto-include spells (like teleport dispel and nullify) then anyone else.

Also, since people keep losing to the wizard, that must mean that the wizard IS better, not that those winners are simply playing him more often because they THINK the wizard is better. That would be crazy.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2015, 05:33:51 AM »
You can believe what you want. I've seen nothing that proves Wizards are superior. They're good but beatable like any other Mage. That's my two cents.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Has anyone else noticed how badass the Wizard is Vs. almost every mage?
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 06:58:36 AM »
You can believe what you want. I've seen nothing that proves Wizards are superior. They're good but beatable like any other Mage. That's my two cents.

I completely agree with you. I was wearing a tinfoil hat when I said all those things. Did you not notice me put it on?

Also keywords: myth, crazy, "used to be true"

Seriously can't people take a joke?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:02:37 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:44 AM »
I didnt get that tinfoil hat. Wasnt sure if its not some hipster thing :-)

Google helped.

And i think that wizzard is not op. I beat him several times with my wizard :-)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
I beat him several times with my wizard :-)
8)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 12:47:23 PM »
I've certainly beaten Wizards (or lost with a Wizard) in nearly every matchup possible.

Doesn't change the fact that Earth and Water Wizard spellbooks are on my go-to tournament short list. But it is a list that includes some other mages, also.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Obsidian Soul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
I have never really seen the point of the Water Wizard.  You get all water spells, but there is nothing above level 1, so a Druid would work just as well.  And, as a nature mage, she is capable of summoning very large creatures (animal or plant) and casting a metric ton of enchantments.  I honestly think that a Druid could beat a Water Wizard without much difficulty.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:08 PM »
I have never really seen the point of the Water Wizard.  You get all water spells, but there is nothing above level 1, so a Druid would work just as well.  And, as a nature mage, she is capable of summoning very large creatures (animal or plant) and casting a metric ton of enchantments.  I honestly think that a Druid could beat a Water Wizard without much difficulty.
As long as she use non-Druid type creatures otherwise she is hosed ;), well with Hydro immunity her plants are quite tough for a true Water Wizard to beat with her attack spells, but the WW has the awesome Arcane creatures which are really great at fighting the Druids mostly non-mobile plants.

Oh yeah Fire is not "out of school" for the Water Wizard, so a couple of Flameblasts or other Flame based Attacks/Creatures are not expensive at all.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 08:39:13 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 10:57:16 PM »
Water + Arcane covers the weakness of Arcane's heavy hitters very well.

Wizard's Tower, Acid Ball, Dispel, Dissolve, Surging Wave and Teleport are all in school for Water Wizards. Liberal application of those can overcome the weaknesses of Hydras or Jellies very powerfully. And since those are all great spells the Wizard was going to include and cast anyway....

As for Druid, Wizard's Tower + Flameblast or Fireball is a hard pill to swallow. If Wizard wants to win that matchup badly enough (and is willing to invest the points) there's not much Druid can do to stop him, other than giving up on casting plants. The Wizard just needs be sure to bring more Towers than the Druid brings Force Hammers.

Druid's hope in this matchup is that the Wizard didn't bring many Fire spells because he had bigger fish to fry.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »

Because a Water Wizard doesnt pay triple for fire and war spells. And Druid pay double for all the arcane utility spells. You could argue that Wizard pay double for nature spells, but a Wizard need less nature spells than a druid need arcane spells.

Space Monkey 69

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2015, 08:38:28 AM »
My mate and I played our first non-apprentice game last night. He was the Necromancer and I chose the Wizard. I got absolutely annihilated. LoL. I must have don't something wrong...

We used the pre made spell lists and I really struggled to keep my mana up even with 14 channeling at one point. He had minions everywhere and I had Hug Inn, a Mana leech and a gremlin by the time he won. Most of the spells I wanted were so expensive to cast compared to his cheap undead.

Ah well. Maybe next time...  or not.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
My mate and I played our first non-apprentice game last night. He was the Necromancer and I chose the Wizard. I got absolutely annihilated. LoL. I must have don't something wrong...

We used the pre made spell lists and I really struggled to keep my mana up even with 14 channeling at one point. He had minions everywhere and I had Hug Inn, a Mana leech and a gremlin by the time he won. Most of the spells I wanted were so expensive to cast compared to his cheap undead.

That definitely looks like a tough match-up using the Wizard's recommended starter deck. It could really use [mwcard=MW1J16]Mordok's Obelisk[/mwcard] or similar to slow down the undead swarm. [mwcard=MW1J18] Poison Gas Cloud[/mwcard] would work nicely if only the Necromancer and his undead minions weren't immune to poison.  Did you get a chance to use [mwcard=MW1A02] Chain Lightning[/mwcard]? [mwcard=MW1Q32] Suppression Cloak[/mwcard]?

I think your best bet in that match-up is to [mwcard=MW1I28] Teleport[/mwcard] the Necromancer into range of your Wizard's most powerful attacks (preferably far from his swarm of creatures) and make aggressive use of your attack spells via [mwcard=MW1Q08]Elemental Wand[/mwcard] - preferably before he has time to get too many creatures out.  Use [mwcard=MW1E18] Force Sword[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E02] Block[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1E34] Reverse Attack[/mwcard], etc, to keep yourself alive, and [mwcard=MW1E06] Circle of Lightning[/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1Q32] Suppression Cloak[/mwcard] to punish anything that tries to hit you.  At least, that's how I'd approach it.  But I'd probably still lose. 

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 05:02:15 PM »

I just beat a very good Earth Wizard book with my skeleton Necromancer. It came down to my ability to out creature and out curse. She was able to Dispel most of my "first line" curses but not the second line. For reference the difference between first and second line: Second line is the other copy/copies I keep of said curse in my book. The Obelisk, Suppression Cloak, and Orb are all nasty counters but they in turn can also be countered.