April 29, 2024, 03:27:19 AM

Author Topic: Adramelech warlock help needed  (Read 8024 times)

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Adramelech warlock help needed
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
Hi!

I'm gonna play a tournament this weekend with a time limit of 75 minutes (i think it is, it's limited anyways).
This means the book can't rely on winning the long game. I love the fire warlock and all the mean things you can do to the enemy but I feel I haven't quite grasped how to play her to her full advantage. I tried going for a wildfire imp rush but it took me so long to set it up that it ended up not being a rush at all and all my little imps getting picked off one by one. So i've ended up with this book.

My plan with this book is to have a creature or my warlock put some early burns on the enemy mage, that's what lord of fire is for, or sersiryx. I will then keep stacking burns through the entire game and burn the enemy mage to cinders. Got some curses to counter a variety of situations. Haven't really decided on the best way of applying burns, so tips are needed. I'm also happy to hear of other ways of playing the fire lock, perhaps stacking burns isn't the best killer?

I like using lord of fire for spreading the flame however I kind feel like I'm putting all my eggs in one basket. I've also tried flaming hellion and attack spells.

Anyways this is my books feel free to pick it apart :) How well does it stand up to the variety of threats that I might face?

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Fire warlock[/spellbookname]
[mage]Adramelech Warlock[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1a12]1 x  Ring of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a06]2 x  Flameblast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNA01]1 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA01]1 x  Devil's Trident[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1a04]2 x  Fireball[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j08]1 x  Hand of Bim-Shalla[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]1 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNW02]2 x  Wall of Bones[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c01]1 x  Adramelech, Lord of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC11]1 x  Sersiryx, Imp Familiar[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC13]1 x  Wildfire Imp[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC04]1 x  Grey Wraith[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c15]1 x  Firebrand Imp[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE03]1 x  Arcane Corruption[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE01]2 x  Adramelech's Touch[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e08]1 x  Death Link[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e19]2 x  Ghoul Rot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e04]1 x  Chains of Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]1 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]1 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e31]1 x  Poisoned Blood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e24]1 x  Magebane[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e09]2 x  Agony[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]1 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE02]1 x  Circle of Fire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e14]1 x  Enfeeble[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ01]1 x  Cloak of Shadows[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q10]1 x  Fireshaper Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q28]1 x  Ring of Curses[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q14]1 x  Lash of Hellfire[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q15]1 x  Leather Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ01]1 x  Adramelech's Torment[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ02]1 x  Bloodfire Helmet[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i23]1 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i11]1 x  Explode[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i08]2 x  Drain Life[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i24]1 x  Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]1 x  Combustion[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]1 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i02]1 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]2 x  Ignite[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]2 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x  Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 118 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Adramelech warlock help needed
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 01:16:51 PM »
throw away the two drain lifes

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »
Mystery, care to elaborate?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:21:39 PM »
Run more Dissolves and a few Disarms so that you have cheaper options for dealing with Dragonscale Hauberk and Elemental Cloak.

The way that I'm seeing this spellbook play out is to open with a Lord of Fire rush. I don't really think you need the Battle Forge in that case, as I'm having trouble seeing when you'll want to play it. I'm not sure when you would play Sersiryx in that type of opening either.

You need more reliable sources of normal attacks so that you are not completely screwed against flame immune things. I would run a pair of Dark Pact Slayers or something.

If you have them, more Flameblasts would be a good idea as a cheap attack option that scales well with Smoldering Curses, Marked for Death, Hawkeye, Akiro's Favor, and Fireshaper Ring.

Include another chest piece.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 04:58:53 PM »
Expect everyone to have two Dragonscale Hauberk. Some might not (especially Druid) but it's a good gameplan against Warlock. Plan accordingly with Dissolves and such.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 11:52:24 PM »
I'm curious about disarm.  To me that spell seems very weak. An action for one round of a piece of gear not working.
What am I missing?

Yeah sersiryx doesnt really fit in a lord of fire opening. Would he fit i a mid-low level creature strategy?

Would wildfire imps be valid option to Dark pact slayers for instance?

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:38:30 AM »
Wildfire Imps do not solve your problem with fire immune targets because they don't do significant damage against any target without burns. For instance, you want to have a way of knocking down Wall of Earth, and Wildfire Imps won't cut it.

Disarm has a number of uses. It lets you temporarily shut down Dragonscale Hauberk/Elemental Cloak very cheaply, but the key is that it is perfectly acceptable to run it into a Nullify, whereas running a Dissolve for 6 into a Nullify is pretty bad for you. So it lets you try to get more damage through while hedging against Nullify. It's also extremely cheap, so you can still do other stuff, whereas a Dissolve takes more than half of your mana for a round. The other main use for Disarm for an Adramelech Warlock with few creatures is to remove corrode conditions from your own mage. If you are at zero armor due to corrode stacking, you can Disarm your own chest piece in order to remove 2 corrode conditions, so that next round you'll be back up to 2 armor for just 1 spellbook point and 1 mana.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 01:20:25 AM »
The Lord of Fire needs Battle Fury :)
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 02:47:32 AM »
Wow, does disarm work as a way to permanently remove corrodes? I guess it make me go down to zero or negative armor for a bried moment, and that's enough.

Other than that, is burn stacking any enemy mage a valid option?  I guess they could stop it with a geyser or renewing rain, but not many people have those cards in their book. At least that's my experience.

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »
Burn stacking is valid if you can stay alive long enough for them to burn to death.  You'll need to be on guard for those that do have [mwcard=MW1A08]Geyser[/mwcard].  A key [mwcard=MW1E23]Jinx[/mwcard] could spell certain doom for the opponent or you can preempt their geyser with your own [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI01]Combustion[/mwcard] getting some extra damage in there.

Also, if you really want to burn stack you should have [mwcard=MWSTX2FFI05]Ignite[/mwcard] on a Mage Wand.  Ignite something in the enemy's zone (one of your own creatures works as long as it's not fire immune.) and then use your Warlock's burn move to stack it onto the enemy mage.

I also agree with everyone that you need to be ready to deal with at least 2 Dragonscale Hauberks and 2 Elemental Cloaks.  Now, if all you're doing is relying on burns then Ignite will still keep the burns on the enemy without having to deal with the "Flame -2" since it doesn't reduce the burn damage.  Also, if you curse them you can use [mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ01]Adramelech's Torment[/mwcard] to put a burn back on them.  This also works instead of the Mage Wand + Ignite, but it does require a creature to have a curse on it so the Mage Wand + Ignite is more reliable long term.

Just my thoughts.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 10:44:42 AM »
Im thinking burn stacking combined with dmg from lord of fire and fire attack spells from my mage. Will also try to get a dark pact slayer or another solid creature out.

How would my survivability be with this book? Im worried i wont put enough pressure on the enemy to get him to back off , hence the battle forge, for casting gear. I might remove it though

Puddnhead

• Member of Arcane Duels; MageCast Co-host
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
Adramelech, Lord of Fire means PRESSURE.  If he's your strategy, then "all you need to do" is make sure he's still a threat.  That can be attempted with a nullify or two or some dispels and seeking dispels to prevent banish or agony, enfeeble, maim wings or rust.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways to effectively neutralize creatures and if you're only packing one big one he's going to take all of the enemy's hate.  You need to either 1) make sure that buys you enough time for the kill or 2) have a plan for a follow up target when he's taken down.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

tubex

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:34:19 AM »
Yep thats what I'm thinking, lord of fire is by no means hard to kill, mind control, banish or whatever. Is he actually a suitable creature for a burn build or should i go for mid level creatures?

If I go the lord of fire route, what would be a suitable follow up creature? He does cost a lot and that kind of mana takes a while to regain.

Perhaps there's a better way to use the adramelech warlock?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 12:02:49 PM »
Between the two warlocks, I would say that the Adramelech Warlock is the 'swarmier' of the two, while the Arraxian crown warlock prefers a more select group of creatures. Two of her abilities (Smoldering Curses and Demonic Reward) benefit from having lots of lower-level creatures making lots of smaller attacks, rather than 1-2 big ones making larger attacks. More attacks means more bonuses from the curses, and smaller creatures benefit more from healing.

I'd take out Adramelech and focus on imp swarms instead, using a Pentagram to relieve yourself of the job of summoning. The nice thing about imp swarm is that Ring of Fire the most common zone attacks used to clear swarms (disclaimer: this is just my personal experience, I don't actually have data to back up this claim), but your imps are immune to it, removing one of the major weaknesses of swarms. Add another Marked for Death, as it will almost certainly be dispelled.

Other have mentioned walls (and Wall of Earth in particular); other ways you can deal with this are with brute force (Force Hammer) or by pre-empting it (wall of fog on a critical border). As long as you have a burn on the enemy, there is no escape from your wildfire imps. Against Flame-Immune creatures (typically other demons), a Dark Pact Slayer or Necropian Vampiress will be effective.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 12:36:57 PM »
As long as you have a burn on the enemy, there is no escape from your wildfire imps.
You do have to have LOS unlike the [mwcard=MW1C05]Blue Gremlin[/mwcard] to teleport to the target.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest