April 20, 2024, 12:37:03 AM

Author Topic: Help us improve the OCTGN Module by coming up with creative messages for deaths!  (Read 18525 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Knowledge is power.@AttackerController=<A>Type=Mage

And another life is lost...such a shame.@AttackerController=<A>Type=Mage

Can you please add "AttackerController" as one of the filters? You could possibly use attacker's controller's training for this, I think.
Thanks!

Edit: this might work better as an automated message in the chatbox...

I'm not sure what you are asking here, with AttackerController. <A> is just a placeholder to be replaced with the name of the attacker; it only functions in the actual message text, not the filter. What is intended with this filter?

Updated the list. Keep them coming!

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I believe that Darkfenne Hydra is the only Creature with the Triplestrike attack trait.  Therefore, the tags should ensure that only the Sortilege Wizard triggers this death message when attacking with the Darkfenne Hydra.  Is this correct?

Or would it be easier to just replace 'Type=Creature,Subtype=Serpent,AttackTrait=Triplestrike' with 'Name=Darkfenne Hydra'?

Following the {}'s fatal triplestrike, the old proverb of Sortilege, "Five heads are better than one", sprung to the mind of the <A>.@AttackerName = Wizard,AttackerSubtype=Sortilege,Type=Creature,Subtype=Serpent,AttackTrait=Triplestrike

[mwcard=MW1C09]Darkfenne Hydra[/mwcard]
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
I believe that Darkfenne Hydra is the only Creature with the Triplestrike attack trait.  Therefore, the tags should ensure that only the Sortilege Wizard triggers this death message when attacking with the Darkfenne Hydra.  Is this correct?

Or would it be easier to just replace 'Type=Creature,Subtype=Serpent,AttackTrait=Triplestrike' with 'Name=Darkfenne Hydra'?

Following the {}'s fatal triplestrike, the old proverb of Sortilege, "Five heads are better than one", sprung to the mind of the <A>.@AttackerName = Wizard,AttackerSubtype=Sortilege,Type=Creature,Subtype=Serpent,AttackTrait=Triplestrike

[mwcard=MW1C09]Darkfenne Hydra[/mwcard]

{} is the name of the creature that just died. <A> is the name of the creature that killed it. So that example would trigger when the Wizard (personally) kills a Darkfenne Hydra, which I don't think is what you want.

Sortilege is not a valid subtype. Including Subtype=Sortilege will prevent the message from ever being shown.

You can't rely on the Hydra being the only creature with triplestrike (also, Boltstorm has triplestrike). If you want it to only trigger when the hydra attacks with triplestrike, AttackerName=Hydra,AttackTrait=Triplestrike works just fine.

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I see, thanks for the reply and clarifying that.  I appear to have misinterpreted the {}.

Another question though.  If I wanted this to only trigger if the players mage was the Sortilege Wizard (quite precise I know), how could I retrieve and display 'Wizard' where specified below?  Do you have a tag/tags for that?

Following the <A>'s fatal triplestrike, the old proverb of Sortilege, "Five heads are better than one", sprung to the mind of the (insert 'Wizard' here)@AttackerName=Hydra,AttackTrait=Triplestrike
"My favourite guilty pleasure? Are there innocent ones?" - Shadowcloak Vampire (M15).

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Why not just say:

As the old Sortilege proverb goes, "Five heads are better than one."@AttackerName=Darkfenne Hydra,AttackTrait=Triplestrike,Name!=Darkfenne Hydra,Name!=Cerberus

It makes more sense from the perspective of both mages, as well. Remember, both players will read these messages. Also I should make clear that the name of the attack will be independently declared before the death message is displayed, so specifying which attack killed the creature is unnecessary. That will probably give a better idea of the context in which these messages are displayed.

(there is no "Hydra" creature; the name must appear exactly as it appears on the card)

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
You can't rely on the Hydra being the only creature with triplestrike (also, Boltstorm has triplestrike). If you want it to only trigger when the hydra attacks with triplestrike, AttackerName=Hydra,AttackTrait=Triplestrike works just fine.

Concerning the exact name, I guess I just went with what you replied, never mind.  The fact that the attack will be specified too, has cleared up another question that I was planning to ask (and do not need to now).

I like your suggestion, it is certainly more generic and more likely to appear.  Mine was possibly over specific.

I have another couple, hopefully they are correct.  There are two questions with the following:

The cold night's silence was shattered by the shrill scream of the {} as it plummeted towards the hard stone of the arena floor.@Type=Creature,Trait=Flying

Do you have any way of knowing whether the flying creature is grounded when it dies?  Such as the result of a counter attack when the flying creature has made a melee attack.  Because if the flying creature was grounded, the death message would not make sense.  Also, for the purposes of the death message, is there any way to specify, or to know, whether the attack was a ranged or melee attack?  If it was a ranged attack, the flying creature is more likely to be in a flying state.

Life became intolerable for the {} due to the incessant pummelling from the <A>.@Type=Creature,AttackerName=DarkfenneHydra

« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 04:16:20 PM by adanaz »

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Knowledge is power.@AttackerController=<A>Type=Mage

And another life is lost...such a shame.@AttackerController=<A>Type=Mage

Can you please add "AttackerController" as one of the filters? You could possibly use attacker's controller's training for this, I think.
Thanks!

Edit: this might work better as an automated message in the chatbox...

I'm not sure what you are asking here, with AttackerController. <A> is just a placeholder to be replaced with the name of the attacker; it only functions in the actual message text, not the filter. What is intended with this filter?

Updated the list. Keep them coming!

Although the format is wrong, I think that Sailor Vulcan is requesting a tag for the name of the controlling mage of the creature who dealt the death blow.

For example:

The <CCM> applauded his <A> on a swift, merciless kill.@AttackerType=Creature,CreaturesControllingMage=Wizard

Result:

The Wizard applauded his Gorgon Archer on a swift, merciless Kill.

Please take this as pseudo code at the very least, as I am just proposing an idea.  I would expect that the CCM would require a sub type.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
The cold night's silence was shattered by the shrill scream of the {} as it plummeted towards the hard stone of the arena floor.@Type=Creature,Trait=Flying

Do you have any way of knowing whether the flying creature is grounded when it dies?  Such as the result of a counter attack when the flying creature has made a melee attack.  Because if the flying creature was grounded, the death message would not make sense.  Also, for the purposes of the death message, is there any way to specify, or to know, whether the attack was a ranged or melee attack?  If it was a ranged attack, the flying creature is more likely to be in a flying state.

Yes, the game knows whether the creature has the flying trait at the time that it dies. I hope you don't mind if I edit these slightly to put them in present rather than past tense.

It is possible to know whether the attack was ranged or melee, though there is no filter for that yet. I can see about making one.

Although the format is wrong, I think that Sailor Vulcan is requesting a tag for the name of the controlling mage of the creature who dealt the death blow.

sIKE proposed the same thing. Guess I'll need a few more filters.

Great ideas everybody! I am currently working on using properly gendered pronouns, which will make formatting slightly more complicated, but please (in general) don't let formatting stop you from proposing your ideas! It is much more helpful for me if you format your ideas, but it is fine if you submit something and the formatting is slightly off; I'll just fix it when I add it to the list. The main thing is to generate lots of messages, so don't hesitate to post!

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
I don't mind if you edit them.  It's great to be a part of the project, even if in a small way. 

I hope to try and scribble down a few more soon.

OCTGN is installed, MW added, card image packs added and a trial spell book v1.0 has been built.  All I need now is to happen upon somebody else playing.....

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
I just added 3 more filters (will update the main page in a moment):

Range - The range of the attack that killed the creature. "Melee","Ranged","Counterstrike","Damage Barrier", or "Passage Attack" are all valid options at the moment.

Mage - The name of the mage that controls the creature (e.g. Wizard, Forcemaster, Beastmaster, etc.)

AttackerMage - The name of the mage that controls the attacker (see above).

Edit: Also, use <AM> as a placeholder for the name of the attacker's controlling mage and <DM> as a placeholder for the name of the dead creature's controlling mage. I am also going to change the format so that <D> is used as the placeholder for the dead creature's name, for consistency.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:03:19 PM by ACG »

adanaz

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Nice modifications to the tags and my suggestions, thanks.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
I was thinking about this one and it should be Cleric instead of Knight:

<D> is now one with Asyra's Light!@Type=Creature,Subtype=Cleric,Mage=Priestess

<D> straight to Hell with you Unholy Beast!@SubType=Demon,Mage=Priest

Yes Pumpkin, there is a Heaven for Dogs.@Subtype=Canine

** School would be a nice filter, I would change SubType=Demon to School=Dark
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 09:12:18 AM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
I have implemented gender-appropriate pronouns. There are three types of pronouns currently available:

Personal Subject (He, Her, It)
Personal Object (Him, Her, It)
Personal Possessive Determiner (His, Her, Its)

For defender, the placeholders are
<ds> (subject)
<do> (object)
<dp> (possessive determiner)

For the attacker, similarly, they are
<as>
<ao>
<ap>

This necessitates a bit more formatting work on your part (or, if you don't understand how to do it, just use the words you would normally use and let me take care of it), but makes the messages much more personalized. I've updated the first page so that you can see examples of how to use these.

On another note, it appears that there are currently only 10 creatures in Mage Wars that are definitely female (unless I missed some).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile

I have implemented gender-appropriate pronouns. There are three types of pronouns currently available:

Personal Subject (He, Her, It)
Personal Object (Him, Her, It)
Personal Possessive Determiner (His, Her, Its)

For defender, the placeholders are
<ds> (subject)
<do> (object)
<dp> (possessive determiner)

For the attacker, similarly, they are
<as>
<ao>
<ap>

This necessitates a bit more formatting work on your part (or, if you don't understand how to do it, just use the words you would normally use and let me take care of it), but makes the messages much more personalized. I've updated the first page so that you can see examples of how to use these.

On another note, it appears that there are currently only 10 creatures in Mage Wars that are definitely female (unless I missed some).

And how many of them are definitely male?

Also, the correct gender neutral/unisex personal pronoun is "they" not "it". "It" is only used for places, things and abstract concepts.

No need to guess or make up new pronouns or anything silly like that. Singular they has been in use as a unisex personal pronoun for hundreds of years before sexist grammar nazis condemned it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
And how many of them are definitely male?

Also, the correct gender neutral/unisex personal pronoun is "they" not "it". "It" is only used for places, things and abstract concepts.

No need to guess or make up new pronouns or anything silly like that. Singular they has been in use as a unisex personal pronoun for hundreds of years before sexist grammar nazis condemned it.

I currently have 35 creatures assigned male pronouns. It isn't so much that the gender of creatures is ever unclear, it is more that they would be referred to as "it" in actual conversation. For example, unnamed demons are referred to as 'it' due to their otherness. Zombies, obviously, are also 'it' (named or otherwise).

Don't worry, the game will not refer to any human-like creatures as 'it'.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:56:28 AM by ACG »