April 28, 2024, 11:06:48 PM

Author Topic: Cerberus and Beastmaster  (Read 6120 times)

fing80

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Cerberus and Beastmaster
« on: November 26, 2014, 04:49:13 AM »
I was thinking of a beastmaster build mainly based on canine beast subtipe, and I thought it could use a Cerberus due to the obvious synergy with Red Claw Male Alpha, but I'm afraid that without dark Conjurations Cerberus would't be that good. Sadly, the only dark Conjurations not specifically tied to a dark mage are quite bad in a beastmaster deck.
Is there a way to make this work?

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Cerberus and Beastmaster
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:14 AM »
His inherit ability is pretty terrible for anyone other than the warlock or the necromancer.

The only dark conjurations that work with the beastmaster are [mwcard=MW1J19]Deathlock[/mwcard], [mwcard=MW1J11]Idol of Pestilence[/mwcard] and [mwcard=DNW02]Wall of Bones[/mwcard].

And honestly unless the wall of bones is walling me off from you or blocking LoS that I need, I don't care about it.

You don't want to play a deathlock, because you need your stuff to regenerate.

Idol of Pestilence might not be terrible but it doesn't seem good either unless all your creatures have regeneration 1 to counter that damage.

If you use it just as a creature it's too expensive, even with the bonus from red claw.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
You can't guard a Wall of Bones so take that one off the list since it is on the Zone Border and not in the Zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Deathlock has synergy with Dire Wolves, but I don't think Cerberus is a good choice for a Dire Wolf build.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 04:32:44 PM »
I also don't think that Cerberus is a good fit... but you might put in a Deathfang (or two?) Sometimes it might be handy to have the traits on it, and it is a Canine also. Just remember the limits of the Lair, in case you wanted to add one.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Moloch

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 09:34:09 PM »
Deathlock can do wonders for the Johktari Beastmaster with her bow and direwolfs, both adding bleed very fast.

Maybe...
-standing next to the Deathlock in a central zone
-with Cerberus guarding,
-wearing eagleclaw boots and nullify
-while keeping the enemy mage one zone away in tanglewine or stuck condition
-with 1-2 dire wolfs to entertain him

...I know, that is a lot of setup to ask for but it is also very scary and you can cast a new tangle-/strangevine/forcehold every turn while shooting arrow after arrow. With 4 or more bleed, the enemy has no choice but to siege cerberus zone or die while running away.

It sounds like lots of fun even if it migth not win  ;D

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Cerberus and Beastmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2014, 12:53:26 AM »
There are a lot of strategies like this that would be fun to try if they actually worked. And in fact this one probably CAN work. Just not in 1v1 games. Necromancer and Johktari bm team using giant wolf spider. Giant wolf spider traps the enemy in its webbing, bites them to taint them (plague master synergy, anyone?) and johktari's bow deals bleeds. With deathlock the bleeds can't be healed, only removed through things like wand if healing.
What do you think?)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:29:39 AM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 03:54:50 AM »
i think Cerberus in regular game doesn't have much use at this moment, but it can have in Domination mode when it will be released. Also maybe in the future there will some interesting Dark conjurations which will need guards more then now.

fing80

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 05:05:03 AM »
Deathlock can do wonders for the Johktari Beastmaster with her bow and direwolfs, both adding bleed very fast.

Maybe...
-standing next to the Deathlock in a central zone
-with Cerberus guarding,
-wearing eagleclaw boots and nullify
-while keeping the enemy mage one zone away in tanglewine or stuck condition
-with 1-2 dire wolfs to entertain him

...I know, that is a lot of setup to ask for but it is also very scary and you can cast a new tangle-/strangevine/forcehold every turn while shooting arrow after arrow. With 4 or more bleed, the enemy has no choice but to siege cerberus zone or die while running away.

It sounds like lots of fun even if it migth not win  ;D

Well, since I don't compete in tournaments fun is all I ask for ^_^
And I will give a try at your suggestion, seems very close to what I had in mind. For sure I have to choose Deathlock over Idol of Pestilence, the latter is simply too self-destructive in a beastmaster build.

you might put in a Deathfang (or two?) Sometimes it might be handy to have the traits on it, and it is a Canine also. Just remember the limits of the Lair, in case you wanted to add one.

I think I'll put one in, more like a "situational" backup. Sometimes an undead creature can make things a lot easier.

maybe in the future there will some interesting Dark conjurations which will need guards more then now.

I hope so, maybe some conjuration that isn't directly harming all living creatures.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2014, 06:57:15 PM »
i think Cerberus in regular game doesn't have much use at this moment, but it can have in Domination mode when it will be released. Also maybe in the future there will some interesting Dark conjurations which will need guards more then now.

I was quite happy to have Cerberus guarding my Gate to Hell in the one game that I played with him in my book. (I've swapped both out for other things now.) I can't see him guarding anything else at the moment though.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess