April 28, 2024, 02:39:51 PM

Author Topic: Randomness and variance  (Read 9893 times)

Moloch

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Randomness and variance
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 06:11:20 PM »
about this topic. it's interesting idea, but i would rather not mixing two solutions (static rolls and  dice rolls). i would go one way or another. you can assume that one die is 1 hit, and every 2 dices are critical hit. so if your attack would be 3 dices you have 2 normal + 1 critical damage, and if you have 4 dices attack it will be 2 normal + 2 critical dmg. i think it's more solid solution than mixing rolling dices with not rolling. i know it can change value of some cards, but if you want to reduce randomness you can think about something like that. I'm going to stay with Akiro's favour! :D

Problem is it dosn't work with incorporea at all, each die does damage? It would be fine for zombies though.
For incorporeal every 3rd dice should do 1 damage so it had to be 0 - 1- 0 - 0 - 1 - 0 - 0- 1 - 0 ...that would make 5 dice attackers good versus ethereal but I could live with that.

Maybe I have to restore my trust into Akiro's judgements in the arena or buy some of the new fancy colored dice so I can retire the cursed, wicked and treacherous red ones  ;D

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Randomness and variance
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
My advice is to keep track of your rolls and look for trends. If it's a consistent/frequent problem, you might not be sufficiently randomizing the dice. If that's the case, shake them harder. Make sure you record a LOT of dice rolls though. And preferably during games.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Randomness and variance
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2014, 06:19:00 AM »
@Moloch, yes you are right that for incorporeal that should be some other algorithm like for example yours :)

i have also in mind one different solution but of course it also has it's drawbacks. that each player have 6 dices - each one with one of the possible result (0, 0, 1, 1c, 2, 2c), and when he should use dices he can choose which dices he will use. You can use each die only once until other dices are chosen, than you start from the beginning with 6 dices.  It's probably far from best solution but i just got it in my mind.