April 28, 2024, 08:23:16 PM

Author Topic: Yet another Warlord book  (Read 6503 times)

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Yet another Warlord book
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:26:10 PM »
[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlord[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]2 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x  Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ03]1 x  Barracks[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ05]1 x  Construction Yard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ04]1 x  Garrison Post[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]2 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKW01]2 x  Wall of Steel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j12]2 x  Mana Crystal[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]3 x  Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x  Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC09]2 x  Iron Golem[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC11]3 x  Orc Butcher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]2 x  Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC01]2 x  Dwarf Kriegsbiel[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKE01]1 x  Armor Ward[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE06]1 x  Fortified Position[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]1 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]1 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE09]1 x  Standard Bearer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]1 x  Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ04]1 x  General's Signet Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]1 x  Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i04]2 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i02]1 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]1 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI06]1 x  Power Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]1 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x  Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI10]1 x  Whirling Strike[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

So I used this book a couple of times, beat a Fire Wizard once (barely) and got my butt handed to me by an Earth Wizard using two Gorgons and an Earth Elemental.  The guy I played opened with two mana crystals, a Gate to Votarii, and a Moonglow amulet.  I added two mana crystals to this book after the game to try to keep up with the Wizard's economy next time.  I also added the steel walls, because the earth walls just didn't cut it (gorgons took them out in a round).  I know I should rush a Wizard playing economy, right?  Especially if they play economy for two rounds.  But with what?  Panzerguards only hit for three dice, Kriegsbiels for four, and weak tokens stack up fast.  And Golems can't get weak but are also slow.  I could revamp everything and go with skeletons, but then I'd have a lot fewer creatures to play with.

My original plan for the book was set up Grimson behind a wall with Archer's tower or use Panzerguards to intercept opposing archers or rushers that got too close.  Except then the Earth Elemental gets summoned and Grimson is next to useless.  I think my biggest mistake the last game was trying to focus down the Wizard instead of taking out the Gorgon archers with Grimson. 

I don't want to scrap the book entirely, but I'd like it to be versatile enough to survive at least my local meta.  I think part of my problem is that once I put a card in my book I'm loath to take it out again.

Advice is welcome, as long as I don't have to change anything.   :P  Just kidding, please help.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another Warlord book
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:38:57 PM »
Out of curiosity why use Mana Crystals as opposed to Mana Flowers? Yeah they're a little squishy but they're only double cost as opposed to triple.

You've got a little healing but not a lot. Maybe make room for a Deathlok to make Gorgons nervous. It'll also help against Druids, Priestess, etc that heal a lot.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 10:59:05 PM »
Wait, why do you need Mana Crystals to keep up with a Wizard in economy? With Barracks channeling 3 mana/round, Battle Forge, Meditation Amulet, and Construction Yard you can be generating 17 mana/round as early as turn 4. If you need more economy after that to keep up, Altar of Carnage is a much more tempting option than a Mana Crystal. If you still feel behind in economy after all of that, go see if you can Conquer the Gate to Voltari. That will have a bigger impact than running a Mana Crystal.

I don't think a Warlord needs to rush a Wizard that focuses on economy. You can build a ridiculous amount of economy yourself. I think that strategy works better for the Anvil Throne Warlord than for the Bloodwave Warlord because the Anvil Throne Warlord has more reason to run a Battle Forge. Gorgon Archers will shut down your creatures offensively if you let them live too long. You can try running Renewing Spring if you find conditions to be too much of a problem.

I would also run a few more long ranged creatures. Anvil Throne Crossbowman might work well.

I wouldn't include 2 Iron Golems because your economy is not well set up to play them and your other spells are not well setup to support them.

Charge is not very good in my experience. I would much rather use Force Push or Cheetah Speed in most situations. It can kind of support Iron Golems, but Teleport is so much better in that role.

I've been finding that I really like the option of spamming Hurl Rock, so consider running more copies. It's a cheap, efficient attack spell, and it can often kill something on low life before it gets to act. Hurl Rock is the card that convinced me many of the command incantations simply aren't worth using in most circumstances, as Hurl Rock is much more flexible than the incantations that boost a creature's next attack.

Consider including Group Heal.

You're too reliant on enchantments for a Barracks Warlord. If you were built to do a Battle Forge rush or just sprint forward and spam level 3-4 creatures, focusing on enchantments would make more sense.

Where is your Armory? That's a much more efficient way to support your creatures than enchantments.

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 11:08:38 PM »
@ Silverclaw, Thanks for the reply!

Oops!  I meant Mana Flowers, not crystals.  I saw that crystals were arcane and switched them to flowers in the physical spell book, but forgot to update the cyber spell book before I posted.

What with the flowers and the Garrison Post and the Construction Yard my half of the board is already loaded with conjurations.  I suppose I could get rid of some of the Enchantments I have, since I'll never be able to cast them all.

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:15:42 PM »
@Sdouglas, thanks for the reply.  I agree about the Golems.  I like the idea of them but I never even got a hit in with them in practice.  And I agree the armory is nice, but where to put it? 

I had thought about the Meditation amulet making the Mana Flowers unnecessary.  I have a lot to consider with revamping this book.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »
Talos + Battle Fury + Charge......
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:38:37 PM »
In terms of what to take out, start with the 2 Mana Crystals, Whirling Strike, Power Strike, Nullify, Hawkeye, and an Iron Golem and go from there. You can take out the other Iron Golem, several more enchantments, and some of the less useful command incantations if you need more room after that.

Talos is certainly among the best targets for Charge, but Teleport is still a much more reliable method of getting it where you want. In addition, I see no reason to run Altar of Domination and Battle Forge in the same spellbook. Battle Fury on the other hand, is fantastic on Talos. No argument on that.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:42 PM »
In terms of what to take out, start with the 2 Mana Crystals, Whirling Strike, Power Strike, Nullify, Hawkeye, and an Iron Golem and go from there. You can take out the other Iron Golem, several more enchantments, and some of the less useful command incantations if you need more room after that.

Talos is certainly among the best targets for Charge, but Teleport is still a much more reliable method of getting it where you want. In addition, I see no reason to run Altar of Domination and Battle Forge in the same spellbook. Battle Fury on the other hand, is fantastic on Talos. No argument on that.
Nothing wrong with this, but making him Fast and Charge +1 with the Battle Fury is quite fun! Though a well timed Wall can cause issues.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »
Which is why Teleport is more reliable.

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:41:28 PM »
Made many revisions.  Fewer enchantments, fewer incantations, added an Armory and an Altar of Domination.  I'm keeping Whirling Strike and Battle Fury because I have a plan for them, and I'd like to see them in action before giving up on them.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname][/spellbookname]
[mage]Warlord[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x  Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFA02]3 x  Hurl Rock[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x  Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ05]1 x  Construction Yard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ04]1 x  Garrison Post[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]2 x  Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKW01]4 x  Wall of Steel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MXSTX2FFJ02]1 x  Altar of Carnage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ03]1 x  Altar of Domination[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x  Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ03]1 x  Barracks[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]3 x  Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x  Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC09]1 x  Iron Golem[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC11]3 x  Orc Butcher[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC07]2 x  Dwarf Panzergarde[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC01]2 x  Dwarf Kriegsbiel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]1 x  Talos[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x  Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]1 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]1 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e01]1 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e21]1 x  Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ03]1 x  Eisenach's Forge Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ10]1 x  Meditation Amulet[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ04]1 x  General's Signet Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]2 x  Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i04]1 x  Charge[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]1 x  Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i02]1 x  Battle Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]1 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i17]1 x  Minor Heal[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI10]1 x  Whirling Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i12]1 x  Force Push[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i13]1 x  Group Heal[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Lord Petiso

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 03:01:35 AM »
I am not an expert (yet!) on Warlord but I am started to test it in game... by the moment I can share with you the issues that I found and I think that you are going to note also...

Warlord is very poor in mana... so you need to summon your Barracks in T1 to help you. But rest of outpost that you have are really expensive too... I will keep Archer's Watchtower and Garrisonpost, but after have played it I find Armory really expensive..maybe it is beter to include another Garrison post instead... for the same reason I will change the proportion of walls you use to  4 x  Wall of Earth, and 2 x  Wall of Steel that are less expesive in spellbok points and in mana to summonig it.

I also find 3 x  Goblin Alchemist too much, maybe two could be useful but maybe think to include cheaper option for the first turns... Goblin Slinger it is always a pain for the oponent...

Add almost one additional Brace Yourself, it will be appreciated by your warlord...  as same as it, include more defend incantations, In my last games I find one insufficient since it is a very usefull to portect the outpost furthemore if you try to summon out Talos... also maybe it is a good idea to link it to Helm of Command...since it is somenthing that you are going to use very often...

however as always all people said...the best is...test it to learn about it.  ;-) 

« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:07:20 AM by Lord Petiso »

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 03:22:23 AM »
If you're not going to run Battle Forge, then you should run the Barracks out the first turn. In that case, Meditation Amulet becomes a lot less attractive because you don't have the spare actions to get it going efficiently.

3 Goblin Alchemists is fine.