April 29, 2024, 01:16:46 PM

Author Topic: All that equipment you see on the Mage cards  (Read 8384 times)

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
All that equipment you see on the Mage cards
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
Remember all those cool items on the mage cards? Well right now I'm going to make spells for some of them:

Johktari Beastmaster

Skirmishing Spear
2 nature 8 mana takes up both hand slots
Jab: Quick melee attack: 4 dice
Skirmish, charge +1 for attacks which use this weapon.

Skirmish attack trait:
If you used a full action to make this quick attack, you may take a move action at the end of the attack action. (I've thought a lot about how skirmish should work)

Poisoned Dagger
1 nature 5 mana takes one hand slot
Stab: Quick melee attack: 1 dice piercing+1 1 tainted on 7+
If you have a piece of equipment which takes up both hands, Poisoned Dagger does not take a hand slot.

Priest
Book of Malakai
2 Holy 8 mana takes one hand slot
Holy Mage only
Light attacks bound to this object gain +1 melee/ranged
All other attacks made by you roll one less damage die
When you cast this spell, you may bind a holy attack spell to it. This bound spell may not be changed.

Forcemaster
Belt?

Necromancer
Helm?

Anvil Throne Warlord
Big Axe Takes weapon hand slot
2 war 8 mana
Full action: 5 dice
This attack gains melee+2 if your shield hand slot is empty.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:58:57 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Enti

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: All that equipment you see on the Mage cards
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:40:17 PM »
I really like the idea of the "skirmish" trait. Attacking and then being able to move it a nice, strategic option but not too strong and far away from being imbalanced.

There could be some creatures with that trait too, in the future. Who knows.

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
Re: All that equipment you see on the Mage cards
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
They have had (super secret centaur) test cards with skirmish for a long time. They were worried about the balance, because as your last action, you can move in and attack, and as your first action of the next round, you can attack and run away. You are getting 2 melee attacks but the enemy may get no opportunity to melee attack while you are in the zone.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
All that equipment you see on the Mage cards
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 07:40:10 PM »
You said they were worried. So they're not anymore? I wonder what they came up with to balance the skirmish trait? Maybe creatures with the skirmish trait might take recoil damage? Or better yet, they might only be able to attack before they move and not the other way around? Or maybe they have lower life or less attack dice so it takes less attacks to destroy them then they can dish out. They're probably still hindered when they try to leave the zone, after all, and I'm sure they're still vulnerable to ranged attacks too. I would imagine it might be difficult to land full action melee attacks on them, but that seems good and thematic IMO.

Yeah, I doubt they're still worried. If I can think of all that on the spot, then they probably thought of all of that and more months ago, and playtested it too. I can't wait to see it!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:44:58 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.