September 16, 2024, 02:56:16 PM

Author Topic: flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone  (Read 8358 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
It sounds like you're just imagining flyers on another 2-dimensional plane above the one on the ground, which is not realistic. If they can fly, they can be just as far from another flyer as they can be from a guy on the ground. They're not just standing on the roof, they can be above and below each other as well.

If they don't want to be close to a guy on the ground, why would they want to be close to a guy in the air? Either they're wanting to be distant, or not.

Regardless, the mechanical rules are quite clear that flyers can shoot each other with ranged attacks. If you don't like the thematic justification that I use, you are free to invent your own, but that is the way it works.

Edit: The hinderance statement is a good point though. I'm not completely certain how to justify two creatures being far enough to shoot each other yet still creating hinderance for one another.

Well they could if the shot was range 0-2 instead of 1-2. Just as you can shoot a gun even if it's touching your target, but you can't really do that so easily with a bow and arrow. At least I don't think you can.

So there's no conflict between using a range 0 ranged attack and being able to hinder. For the bigger minimum range take a few steps back, or in this case, flap your wings a couple times. For hindering, don't step back and don't flap your wings.

Kind of like how they have to swoop down to make a melee attack against a non-flyer.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 02:43:24 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 06:09:49 PM »
By that logic why can't I shoot my bow in the same zone on the ground? Hindering an enemy while you shoot them with a range 1 minimum weapon doesn't make sense. The only reason is not a big deal is it comes up almost never since no current creatures have flying and a min range ranged attack naturally.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 06:57:42 PM »
By that logic why can't I shoot my bow in the same zone on the ground? Hindering an enemy while you shoot them with a range 1 minimum weapon doesn't make sense. The only reason is not a big deal is it comes up almost never since no current creatures have flying and a min range ranged attack naturally.

Basically you have to take a step back to shoot something with a bow (min range 1) but not with a gun (min range 0) you can still hinder if you don't take that step back.

Now apply that logic to flyers, and don't forget to take into account the translation between the zone based game mechanics and the normal dimensional space in the story.

If this came up while I was trying to narrate a game, here's the kind of thing I would write:

The famous sniper watched from the audience as his likeness in the arena grew wings! Flapped once, twice, and thrice, then in that same instant downed the thunderift falcon in a single shot from above. He wished he had the chance to do that in real life...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 07:14:02 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

FruchtYogurt

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: flyer making ranged attack against creature in same zone
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
I imagine flyers to be quite fast, so they are able to hinder another flying creature even when the distance between them is enough for a bow to shoot.