June 15, 2024, 09:06:11 PM

Author Topic: The Straywood Warrior  (Read 8146 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
The Straywood Warrior
« on: November 04, 2014, 12:17:38 AM »
This is my Straywood Beast Master book I've been rocking for a few months now. Well ok it's my Straywood once I go home and put the Renewing Rain in it. Still I've had success with it because it can swarm, focus on some elites, or buff and kill with the mage as need be. Depending on my opponent and how fast they want to come at me I've a few options:

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Straywood Warrior[/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]3 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j02]2 x  Animal Kinship[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]1 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ03]1 x  Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1J01]1 x  Rajan's Fury[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ08]1 x  Renewing Spring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]4 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1w04]2 x  Wall of Thorns[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1c04]1 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]1 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c14]2 x  Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNC16]1 x  Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c37]4 x  Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]2 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]2 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE06]2 x  Lion Savagery[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]1 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]2 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e29]2 x  Nullify[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e02]2 x  Block[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e10]1 x  Decoy[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]1 x  Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q19]1 x  Mage Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q18]1 x  Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q08]1 x  Elemental Wand[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]2 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]2 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i23]2 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNI04]1 x  Renewing Rain[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I usually start with the ole Lair/Harmonize routine but if they other guys getting up in my face early I may go more heavily defensive. I keep a number of healing options available to me so I can keep my mage and to a lesser extent my critters alive. I generally Pet either a Timber Wolf or a Falcon. Though if given just a butt load of mana I will Pet the Grizzly Bear(I picked it as inspiration for my forum name for a reason after all.) I like to bring out low to mid level creatures while steadily buffing my mage with Equipment, Enchantments, and casting the Animal Kinships. If I have little time for that though I'll bring out the big dogs in the form of the bear and a buffed up Cervere.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Straywood Warrior
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 09:19:04 AM »
When do you use the spitting raptor? I find him to fragile.

When do you use the brace yourself? I find my actions are too valuable for such a minor spell.

When do you use rouse the beast? I find my mana to tight to use it most games. I could see one to use on a fresh pet out of the lair, but I can't really see using two in a game.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2014, 10:21:44 AM »
I personally don´t like the Beastmaster much anymore - i guess its the thin spellbook, and the few choices of strategies.

I would really put in 2 Force Push, with your decent armor removal options and Wall of Thorns, its just a great treat. Also with all your charge bonusses, it might be nice with a Force Push just for positioning, getting rid of hindering e.t.c.

Id think i would remove the Blocks to get room for the Force Pushes. Then i would like some more healing (for your animals) - maybe another regrowth and a maybe a shift enchanment?

I guess one of the main reasons for you choise of creatures is to buff your mage with Animal Kindship, that Means you want to keep those guys alive. There might be other options like a Unicorn or Mohktari also.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 10:36:34 AM »
It's certainly nice to have a Brace Yourself when moving around Walls of Thorns :)

And ... running WOT an no Force Push is "not done" imo  ;)

Two Rouse the Beasts seems right for this build : you'd probably want to Rouse the Bear and/or Cervere and/or a Wolf Pet but not much else.

I have more an issue with the Gauntlets of strength : when not playing a Battle Forge I don't find this card worth the action, not with all the Enchantments you have lined up anyway.

I'm by no means a [mwcard=MW1C13]Fellella, Pixie Familiar[/mwcard] expert but I get a feeling she belongs in this build. Having somebody else bring out the enchantments would certainly ease the burden on your Beastmaster and besides, .. she's a great target for Brace Yourself :)

And how about Animal Kinship ? Does that card really work ?
IMO there's just not enough choice in the Ape, Reptile and Bear department for the card to be really effective.
There's just one ape ( 16 mana ) , 1 bear (17 mana ) and two reptiles ( 9 and 11 mana ) to pick from.
That's just too expensive to get them all in play.
If we had those types of animals in the 6 to 8 mana range that would make Animal Kinship much more playable.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:53:28 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 11:11:09 AM »
Ape is unnecessary, climbing is not a big deal. Really of you have a reptile and a canine and a bear it becomes the best spell ever. The only way to remove the armor is rust or acid ball and tough becomes a big deal for acid ball.

The problem is if you have the creatures out it is already late in the game. Especially since one is a bear.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 02:06:20 PM »
First I made a mistake I do have a Force Push in this book, sorry I posted this at work last night without the actual thing in front of me. I totally agree Force Push+Wall of Thorns=Comedy Gold! In fact Biblofilter I have 1 Block and 1 Force Push. Ok now onto questions:

I use that Raptor more than you'd think actually. He's by no means the first creature I bring out but he makes a nice option against the opponent running around getting chased by my critters. As mentioned I have a lot  stripping armor going on here and this is just another way it happens. On some occasions I'll pet the raptor.

Rouse the Beast I'll cast if my opponent is too close early on and not fully defended. It can go on a Mage Wand ok to keep them hoping early on. It's only 1 mana to cast it on a lot of my critters and an early Bobcat or Falcon can throw em off their game if they want to get in my face early on. You can do it to bigger creatures when they come out and it's hilarious too. I mean super funny when someone realizes "Oh crap that bears awake!"

Brace Yourself is for if I know I'm about to take a beat down from several different sources all at once. Against other swarms it's cool, against getting pushed through my own wall it's cool too. I won't lie it's on the cutting board though.

Animal Kinship can be a VERY nice boost all of the sudden if you have the right creatures out. And to be honest you SHOULD be getting them out anyway you're a Beast Master As of now I really wish there were more Reptile options but to be honest I actually get some mileage out of my Emerald Tegu most games and the Spitting Raptor I detailed earlier. The best advantage it gives you though comes from the cats. Being Elusive is AWESOME against heavy Guard books like a Priestess or Warlord. Mongoose Agility is great but it's dispelled easily. With the totem they have to dedicate an attack, an attack that's not coming at me mind you, to bring it down. Casting two of them gives me +2 Melee, +2 Armor, Elusive, and -4 Toughness! Putting on my Elemental Cloak and I am NOT afraid of the effect dice! Cheetah Speed yourself up, slap Lion Savagery on yourself and Cervere and you will wreck face.

Biblofilter I won't lie I've considered Mokhtari before. Considered it at great length to be honest. I will probably end up squeezing it in somewhere.

As for the Unicorn...I'd love to but man 6 spell points? Books tight as it is. I'll admit I've thought about it though. My group uses Promos so it might be easier for a Rain Cloud but I'm sorta wanting to keep this one pure.

Borg Fellella is a lazy useless goof for nothing lol. I cast her, she puts like 2 Enchantments down, then dies a painful death. She seems so perfect for this book, but she's let me down every time  :P

I agree with the Gauntlets of Strength though. They really are in there for when I'm too cheap to cast my Mage Staff lol.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
I would include Akiro's Favor instead of the Gauntlets; it's only 1 mana more with ER and it can preserve the quality of your attacks, particularly the ones with a mana cost and/or effects.  I didn't use it before, but now I'm pretty convinced it's actually one of the best cards in the game.  AF is kinda like being able to scry 1 before you draw every turn in MTG if you need to, which is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:50:46 PM by reddawn »
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:31:10 PM »
Just a little hate on Force Hammer:

I´ve seen a lot of spellbooks with Force Hammer and i don´t understand it (i think its bad, but what do i know)

Necromancer with Idol of Pestilence/Finite Life killed my last beastmasters and i guess thats why Force Hammer is there in your book (to get rid of annoying conjurations fast). Id rather use the 4 spellpoints on another Grizzly or Hand of Bim-Shalla and regrowth and Eagle Wings.

Im not even sure you should use the Lair, you could try a Battle Forge instead or just a "sprinting beastmaster":
19:Move 2
Feral Bobcat 5
23:Move 2
Steelclaw Grizzly
15:
cat/reptile/other animal
attack

I seems really simple and "feels wrong". But if your opponent used a lot of mana to set up some kind of economy, it might work really well. Id prefer to just to summon 2 Grizzly, but with this build id go for preparation of the Animal Kindship Totems.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 08:21:08 PM »
19:Move 2
Feral Bobcat 5
23:Move 2
Steelclaw Grizzly
15:
cat/reptile/other animal
attack

Beastmaster can only summon level 1 creatures while moving. Otherwise, quadruple move + bears would indeed be the best opening.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2014, 10:14:45 PM »
I actually did squeeze Bam-Shalla in the book. Force Hammer, yeah it's for Conjurations and for killing ethereal creatures who get on my nerves and aren't close enough for a Mage Staff whack. Acid Ball + Force Hammer means dead Wizard Tower most days.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:24:06 AM »
Acid Ball + Force Hammer means dead Wizard Tower most days.

Fail:
Well let says there 25% chance you don´t kill the Wizards Tower. That puts you really far behind.

Success:
You used 14 mana and 6 spellpoints to remove a 7 mana 2 spellpoint conjuration (and a 1 or 2 spellpoints tool-box spell) That does´nt put you ahead. The Wizard will just put out another Wizard Tower if he needs it.

I actually love the Grizzly! (and i started out as a Beastmaster) Id much prefer to summon a Grizzly early, as a nature mage you just have access to a lot of cheap and good buffs for him.

A Grizzly with support from your warrior mage should take down enemy conjurations fast enough and still be standing.I think the 4 spellpoints could be better used on Eagle Wings  :-* and then you still have 2 spellpoints.
(or something else not to much out-off-school)

I have never used Enchantment Transfusion myself. But imagine this: you put Enchanment Transfusion and an Eagle Wing on you Grizzly - fly over that anoying Necro wall and hit something - then reveal Enchanment Transfusion and move Eagle Wings (and the Bear strenght/Lion Savagery/Falcon Precision e.t.c.) to Cevere and then let him fly over the wall also..

I know this is a theoretical fantasy scenario, but i know i will have a lot more fun taking a conjuration down like that, than to use Acid Ball+Force Hammer  ;D

Note to self: I really need to try Enchanment Transfusion
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 09:51:52 AM »
Just to give maths about the FH vs WT.

Hammer alone, 30.58%
Hammer with Akiro's Favor, 51.80%

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:22:08 AM »
This was Acid Ball + Hammer.

I got to ~25% just by assuming if the Acid Ball missed there was a good chance the Tower survived.
I actually think the chance is higher ~40% wouldnt surprice me.

With Acid Ball + Hammer and Akiro´s Favor it seems like we should be getting there.
I still don´t see it for Wizard Tower - maybe for Idol of Pestilence or something like that, which you need to take Down asap to save your puny creatures.
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 11:52:24 AM »
Acid Ball + Force Hammer gives 60.08% chance that the tower die if the Acid Ball remove only 1 armor and 72.80% if it removes 2 armor (66.66% chance to hapens).
Which in final (if I didn't make any error) gives a 68.56% chance to kill the tower.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 11:55:31 AM by Wildhorn »

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2014, 02:10:33 PM »
Ok here's a little math. Every single time I have ever done this combo I have destroyed the Wizard Tower in one hit. Lets see I've done it 4 times now, destroyed it in one hit 4 times. I'm not a math major I got my degree in history so let me just see here....carry the one.....that's what 100%?  ;D Even if I didn't destroy it first shot my puny creatures can then easily finish it. You take out the Wizard Tower, even if it uses a large amount of mana because Wizards depend on them a lot and it's one of their best tools. Yeah they can cast more but eh I've got more Acid Balls and my creatures can take care of the extras. Same with Idol of Pestilence or any other Conjuration. I'm actually less worried about Idol of Pestilence what with the Renewing Rain, Etherian Life Tree, and Renewing Spring. Deathlock is easy to destroy too with the large hammer. The point I'm trying to make is it's working very well for ME. I enjoy Beast Masters, I win with my Beast Master a lot and this is my book(well it's the book as of a few days ago before I adjusted it.) Don't actually care about the statistics.

I've run two grizzlies in here before. I just never get around to summoning the second one.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 02:23:12 PM by silverclawgrizzly »