May 01, 2024, 12:26:20 AM

Author Topic: Temple of the Dawnbreaker for Forcemaster  (Read 4107 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Temple of the Dawnbreaker for Forcemaster
« on: November 05, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
While skimming through de SBB I looked at this mostly overlooked card again as I didn't really remember what it did....
[mwcard=MW1J09]Temple of the Dawnbreaker[/mwcard] ... and suddenly I realized that this could possibly be a very useful card in a Forcemaster book.

Reroll a Defense : check, ... if anybody wants to rely on its Defenses, it's the Forcemaster.
Reroll an Escape roll : check, ... less frequent, but my Forcemaster doesn't like being Crippled and such.
Reroll an enemy Effect roll : check, ... a second chance to avoid Stun, Daze or Burn counters, who doesn't like that ?
Reroll all enemy attack dice : check, ... opposite effect of an Akiro's Favor, great effect in a damage race.

If you've ever played BloodBowl you know the importance of re-rolls, it just makes your game so much more reliable.
This card is so versatile for the Forcemaster I don't think I can keep it out of my book, and it looks even better in match-ups against solo or buddy Mages.

Thoughts about this card ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 11:10:41 AM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Temple of the Dawnbreaker for Forcemaster
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
I played against it last week, Laddinfance's skeletal warlord build versus a friends priestess. it's pretty good stuff. it works for any target you control, once per round. so it'll save you, or your creatures.

It took a couple of rounds but I rushed a skeletal minion over to it to bash it to pieces, but in the mean time it certainly paid for itself.

Plus it's a temple, so you can combine it with the Temple of light to shoot and stun things.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 12:59:59 PM »
It's pretty useful if you have two or three of them in the arena at a time. With just one of them with your deflect you can make the chances of a particular attack hitting you 25%. I realized how good the forcemaster is with temple of the dawnbreaker ages ago. It was one of my first spellbook lists that I didn't promptly scrap. It ended up not working because I didn't include the battleforge, and then I felt like the strategy was no longer very original, and I was hoping to surprise opponents with the temple and defenses. I think I might actually take another shot at rebuilding the spellbook now.

Thanks!
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 01:57:58 PM »
The temple is also an excellent combo with the forcemaster's favorite buddy the Devouring ooze.  High armor or Resiliant benifits more from the reroll because crit damage is more swingy.  (In statistics terms we say the varience is higher).  Higher variance means a reroll is powerful. (which is why it's great in bloodbowl which is a high variance game).

The problem is that it is a very defensive card.  Forcemaster can already win any face to face slug fest because of galvatar and forcefield.  What a forcemaster is worried about is if the enemy builds a board advantage and enough defense to survive to use that board advantage.  (The biggest board advantage being creatures.)  So in practice a forcemaster needs very little extra defense and wants to focus on stacking as much offense as possible.  Reducing daze and stun would be a way to increase offense but I rarely get dazed and akiro's favor helps with that anyway.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 04:35:51 PM »
Reducing daze and stun would be a way to increase offense but I rarely get dazed and akiro's favor helps with that anyway.
Hi BoomFrog,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that last part. How does Akiro's Favor help you prevent from being dazed/stunned ?

The Temple may indeed seem defensive at first glance but with Akiro's Favor entering the scene an opponent's chances of putting Conditions on you have increased dramatically.

A Staff of Asyra + Akiro's Favor ( or Forge Hammer + AF for that matter ) are pretty serious threats IMHO so I look at the Temple more as a card that can help you keep going offensively rather than to come to a halt.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 04:45:16 PM by Borg »

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 09:10:52 AM »
Akiro's favor let's you reroll the miss chance if you are dazed. It won't help vs stun though.

Temple of the dawnbreaker does seem like a good card to have vs a well armored solo warlord, but I wouldn't play it in every matchup.

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 09:31:50 AM »
Temple of the dawnbreaker does seem like a good card to have vs a well armored solo warlord, but I wouldn't play it in every matchup.
Agree completely. It's a "reactive" card that has increased value with the addition of AF and the new fire addicted Warlock.