April 29, 2024, 01:17:30 PM

Author Topic: Bleed, undamaged, Hand of Bim-Shalla.  (Read 3372 times)

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Bleed, undamaged, Hand of Bim-Shalla.
« on: October 20, 2014, 07:54:04 PM »
Hi all.

Here's an odd situation that came up in a game I played recently:

My mage gets a Bleed token from moving through a Bloodspine Wall.  Did not have any damage on him (the Wall's attack dealt no damage either).  I went to use Hand of Bim-Shalla to remove the Bleed, and my opponent asked if I could do that, since I had no damage to heal in the first place.

After looking through the FAQ and coming up with nothing, I read through the various RAW sections and finally decided that I couldn't use the Hand.  Now I come to the rules gurus here seeking clarification:

What happens if a creature with a Bleed token on it, but no damage yet, tries to use a healing effect to remove the token?

--IndyPendant.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Bleed, undamaged, Hand of Bim-Shalla.
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:04:30 PM »
"You can never remove more damage than the creature currently has. Any excess healing or regeneration is lost."

Bleed: "...Whenever this creature...heals...you may remove 1 Bleed condition for each point of healing you cancel"

I would say that you can use healing to remove bleed, because it says that you cancel the healing (a specifically defined effect), not the damage removal (a more general result of healing).

Cancelling a spell prevents it from resolving. Cancelling a point of healing should prevent it from resolving as well. If it did resolve, it would be lost, but since it was cancelled before resolving, it still counts as being cancelled, and so you can use it to remove bleed. I think the key thing to notice is that nowhere in the heal effect does it state that an uninjured creature may not be healed, only that if it is healed, you cannot remove more damage than it has.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 08:06:15 PM by ACG »

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:26 PM »
You can.

Having no damage on you doesn't prevent healing. It is just normally useless.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 11:58:50 PM »
I agree with both Wildhorn and ACG the removal of a Bleed token costs one point of Healing.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2014, 10:18:53 PM »
Hmm, okay thanks guys.  Makes sense, and agreed.

I didn't want to rule in my own favour when I wasn't sure, particularly since I was the experienced player in our bout. ; )

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 12:40:11 PM »
Removing a bleed replaces 1 point of healing. So even if you have 5 Bleed and less than 5 damage you could remove from 0-5 bleed with a heal of 5+. Lets say you have 2 damage and 5 bleed if you were able get a 7+ heal you could remove all damage and bleeds.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage