April 27, 2024, 09:31:50 AM

Author Topic: Transportation, Storage and sorting of your Mage Wars gear?  (Read 8321 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Transportation, Storage and sorting of your Mage Wars gear?
« on: September 24, 2014, 06:58:09 AM »
Whenever i go to a boardgameevent i usually bring some of my Mage Wars gear (even when the chances are quite remote for get a game going)

As i don´t have a car, bringing 2 arenas and 8+ spellbooks does become a bit unhandy and heavy. And then im not bringing unused spellcards or apprentice spellbooks..

Im also interested in how you sort and storage the different markers? (and similar like sleeving you Cards)

Im trying to find two smaller boxes (Cigarboxes?) One for damage- , manamarkers, dice and actionmarkers. The other for the rest of the markers which i don´t sort pre- or postgame.

So in the box ill bring a couple of arenas, a ton of markers and rulebooks, expansionrules and try to fit two smaller boxes in there. The spellbooks im carrying in a backpack

Links and pic´s appreciated!
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Transportation, Storage and sorting of your Mage Wars gear?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 08:59:49 AM »
A couple of the bitboxes here will meet you needs:

http://go7gaming.com/product-category/bit-boxes/

One 007 and one 008 would work very well.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I haven't actually done this yet, but I figured I would share my dream solution.

I think the arena boards are the main drawback to the game's portability. So the first thing towards making it more portable would be to get the play mat. I would then store this mat in a protective tube. I would then use a yoga back pack as my main transportation device, which should adequately accommodate the playmat, several spellbooks, and a couple of plano boxes of markers and dice. I am not sure which plano boxes would be best for the markers.

I'm actually considering customizing my condition markers to standardize them and make them easier to sort. I already have a 1-inch hole punch and some chip board that I use to make D&D tokens. It'd be a lot of work, which I'm not sure is worth it, but the fact that the markers have different conditions on both sides makes it kind of hard to sort them. Right now, I've got them sorted as follows:
- Damage
- Mana
- Mage Specific + Initiative
- Other Non-Condition Markers (ready, guard, +Melee, etc)
- Condition Markers

For my unused cards, I have them sorted by spell type and then alphabetically in 1600 count card boxes. I'm almost definitely going to make up some dividers for the card box in the near future. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

As far as sleeves go, I only sleeve the cards in my spellbooks and that is more to help distinguish them from my opponent's than it is to keep them safe (although having safer cards is a nice perk). I would recommend Dek-Prot sleeves as they are cheap, come in a multitude of colors, and I like that they come in packs of 60 (which is really helpful for other card games, but you'll still probably want 2 packs per spellbook for mage wars).

I also have the rulebooks, combined codex, and FAQ all downloaded on a tablet so that I don't have to carry any physical copies of those around.

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 12:05:13 PM »
Storage & organization! I enjoy finding storage & organizing stuff almost as much fun as the games I play. Never mind the fact that I'm always slightly disorganized because I'm always reorganizing...

Here's what I've been using for Mage Wars since I started earlier this year.

Bag - I had an old 17" laptop bag lying around. Turns out it is the perfect size to hold the arena board. I can also fit four loaded spellbooks, four status boards with magnet noteboards, a plano box containing all dice/tokens/markers, rulebooks and some other misc stuff. This is the bag (or close enough to it). I do hope to get the roll up playmat someday but this works pretty well for now. I can grab it and go to run events at my venue.

Tokens/Markets/Dice - I use a Plano 3600. I have all of the markers, tokens & dice from 2 core sets and every expansion in there. Still room to go.

Extra Cards - I just use plain, white card boxes. I don't sleeve my extras. I currently am sorting then my type, then school, then alphabetically.

That's about it. My Mage Wars is stuff is always ready to go. If I need more than four books and/or extra cards for deckbuilding I throw them in a backpack. That way I can carry the extras on my back and the play stuff over my shoulder. Works for me.

I'll post some pictures of my setup when I remember to take the pictures.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:07:34 PM »
First I took four core sets worth of markers and stuff and put them all into a handy dandy Shimano fishing lure container. It's compact and very easy to carry. I keep all tokens separated by type with condition markers divided by "Stuff that hurts me each turn" "Stuff that doesn't hurt me every turn." Then I got(given to me I'll note yay friends) a durable shoulder bag the size of a small hockey bag. What do you know it separates into two smaller bags! The smaller of the two fits the storage compartment, up to 6 boards, all my status markers, every single spell book I have, my binder with my cards, and a roll up play mat.

I am delighted with my storage and carrying arrangement. I'll try and take pictures and post them even.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.