April 23, 2024, 11:34:14 AM

Poll

What mage should I play in a team game with an Adramelech Warlock vs (possibly) two Necromancers?

Beastmaster (Johktari)
2 (8.7%)
Beastmaster (Straywood)
0 (0%)
Druid (Wychwood)
2 (8.7%)
Forcemaster (Pellian)
2 (8.7%)
Necromancer (Darkfenne)
0 (0%)
Priest (Malakai)
11 (47.8%)
Priestess (Westlock)
1 (4.3%)
Warlock (Adramelech)
1 (4.3%)
Warlock (Arraxian Crown)
2 (8.7%)
Warlord (Anvil Throne)
0 (0%)
Warlord (Blood Wave)
1 (4.3%)
Wizard (Sortilege)
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: September 29, 2014, 03:21:25 PM

Author Topic: 1000th Post  (Read 9642 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
1000th Post
« on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:25 PM »
I've been trying to think of something special to do for my 1000th post, similar to what Laddinfance did. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything better to do, so I'm just going to copy him.

In November I am going to the MACE convention in Charlotte, NC to help oversee a tournament being run by Silverclawgrizzly. While there, I am going to play a team game against him and one of his friends. They have stated that they will both be playing Necromancers, although they could change their minds. Meanwhile, I shall be assisted by my significant other who shall be playing the Adramelech Warlock. Her choice is not subject to change. Thus, my question is which mage should I play?

I am thinking that my preferred mage, the Priest, would be a good match up as he can automatically burn someone each round and the mistress of flame really likes burns. Also, holy magic is pretty good against undead if they do run Necromancers like they've said. However, a mage with more defense or utility, or simply higher channeling, might be a better choice. Perhaps the Priestess or Wizard? In the end, I shall run whatever you guys  choose for me.

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: 1000th Post
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:11 PM »
Congrats on the 1.000 post.

I voted for the Priest :)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 04:20:04 PM »
I would love to see you play a Jokhtari Beastmaster.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:25:32 PM »
First congrats on the 100th post dude! Galador knows you've helped me enough on here 8) Also thanks for agreeing to help judge man. I know I've thanked you a few times already but I can't stress how much I'm gonna appreciate your help.

We won't change our mages. It's Necromancers or bust for us. Only time we were tempted was to run a Necromancer/Araxian Crown Warlock so we could have a whole Undertaker/Kane gag.

Though I hear Lord of Winter is also riding down with a friend.....maybe they'd like to take on the winner?

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Toxziq

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • "Now... bring me that horizon..."
    • View Profile
    • Crits Happen
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »
I've been trying to think of something special to do for my 1000th post, similar to what Laddinfance did. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything better to do, so I'm just going to copy him.

In November I am going to the MACE convention in Charlotte, NC to help oversee a tournament being run by Silverclawgrizzly. While there, I am going to play a team game against him and one of his friends. They have stated that they will both be playing Necromancers, although they could change their minds. Meanwhile, I shall be assisted by my significant other who shall be playing the Adramelech Warlock. Her choice is not subject to change. Thus, my question is which mage should I play?

They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I love it... run with it, this is a great idea!

If I have a vote, I say you play the AC Warlock, dark vs dark in a battle to the death! :)
I am thinking that my preferred mage, the Priest, would be a good match up as he can automatically burn someone each round and the mistress of flame really likes burns. Also, holy magic is pretty good against undead if they do run Necromancers like they've said. However, a mage with more defense or utility, or simply higher channeling, might be a better choice. Perhaps the Priestess or Wizard? In the end, I shall run whatever you guys  choose for me.
  • Favourite Mage: Anvil Throne Warlord

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 05:33:10 PM »
Quote from: Toxziq
They say imitation is the highest form of flattery, so I love it... run with it, this is a great idea!

If I have a vote, I say you play the AC Warlock, dark vs dark in a battle to the death! :)

You most certainly have a vote ^_^
That is an interesting thematic approach to the game. Dark vs Dark to see who's the most terrifying. And I think the two warlocks could have good synergy together.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 09:19:56 PM »
With all those banana stickers don't you have to have a Gorilla in your spellbook. :)

I vote for the Druid. Any burns from Fire attacks can be moved by your friendly Warlock and the ability to teleport Wildfire Imp and plants long distances to attack quickly should allow you to really heat up the arena quickly.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:25:27 PM »
I vote for the adramelech warlock. Necros tend to swarm very quickly, the zombies often have resiliient, but with the adramelech warlock you can put lots more burns on them more easily. She has good synergy with the other warlock. She'll be able to wreak havoc on the enemy forces and clear a path for the arraxian crown warlock with sectarus, debuffing enemy big creatures including at least one of the mages, while also taking good advantage of curseweaving to help spread the smouldering curses effect.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 09:27:05 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »
I was thinking the Priest would work very well with the Fire Warlock. With Holy boost against the Undead + Fire should be quite the combo.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 11:55:06 PM »
Hmmm there are a lot of votes there. I voted Force Master cause hey I have trouble beating them. Maybe I should arrange for this to be recorded?
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
Hmmm there are a lot of votes there. I voted Force Master cause hey I have trouble beating them. Maybe I should arrange for this to be recorded?

There is a serious shortage of videos on youtube for Mage Wars. I would greatly appreciate you contributing to the pool. That and a 2v2 game would be fun to watch.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 12:13:01 AM »
Ah, your opponents want to go the "EZ Way" in 2on2. Probalby placing the Idol or the Altar.

I would take somethink like a Fire Wizard or Adramelech Warlock and burn one of them with hell fire asap. Don't waste your mana on creatures that all take damage over time ... or heal spells, that won't work with the Deathlock.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 12:17:26 AM »
Quote from: silverclawgrizzly
Maybe I should arrange for this to be recorded?

I have discussed your suggestion with my significant other and we would be okay with the event being recorded.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 12:38:33 AM »
Ah, your opponents want to go the "EZ Way" in 2on2. Probalby placing the Idol or the Altar.

I would take somethink like a Fire Wizard or Adramelech Warlock and burn one of them with hell fire asap. Don't waste your mana on creatures that all take damage over time ... or heal spells, that won't work with the Deathlock.

We are going to be playing on a 6x4 arena. That may be an important detail that I left out. So I am kind of worried about them out-producing us with their higher channeling and spawnpoints and such. A fortress strategy built around Idol of Pestilence, Altar of Skulls, and/or Deathlock might indeed be in the cards for what we shall face. Necromancers can build a pretty mean engine when given enough time, and starting 8 zones apart is a lot of breathing room. They could actually place the Altar, summon a Cleric, Rouse the Cleric, and start placing skulls all on turn one if they wanted.

So that people have the full picture of what will be happening, we are also going to be using the Shared Life and Initiative variant that I created awhile back. Teams shall have a shared life equal to 75% of their combined individual life totals (putting the Necromancer team at 48 Life total), with damage and healing being applied to this shared life pool anytime either mage receives it. Initiative shall pass between teams, and during a team's turn only one player may activate a creature and/or use their quick cast. I've used this variant before and it seems to work pretty well.

With an Altar and an Idol in play, hitting both of us each round, our team would be taking 6 damage per round. We'd drop pretty quick, especially with Deathlock preventing heals.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:24 AM »
My recommendation? Don't play fair. Since Deathlock is epic do a Teleport Slingshot (Patent Pending) with a Forcehammer to break the Deathlock ASAP.

Teleport Slingshot (Patent Pending)- Teammate 1 double moves to what used to be near center and quick casts Teleport on teammate 2 spending 12 mana for maximum distance. Team mate 2 double moves from new position and is now in range to Force Hammer the opponents starting corner using their Quickcast marker. If you do not want to leave your partner behind you can immediately use the quickcast action and 12 mana to move them 4 spaces instead of double moving but it will prevent you from using Force Hammer right away.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:03:10 AM by Maverick »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!