April 25, 2024, 10:07:42 PM

Author Topic: Any suggestions for three player games?  (Read 5106 times)

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Any suggestions for three player games?
« on: September 22, 2014, 11:54:05 AM »
We have had a couple of times when we are three players left and rather that let one sit and watch or plav 1v1v1 "free for all" we tried to let one player play two games at once. However it has proven to taxing for us.

So any ideas that Work well for three players?

2v2 with one player controlling 1 side or

2v1 were the single player is given advantages (free conjurations, two Lord of Fire ready to go, or something like that)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Any suggestions for three player games?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 01:39:52 PM »
I would recommend cloning device, portal to different dimension which also had mage wars or try to get 4th person.

Mage Wars is so delicatly balanced for two or four players, that in 3 players game, even a few more actions against one opponent completly destroys him in "tempo" level. :)

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

lukard

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:23:41 PM »
I'm not sure how it would work wherever you can try something out: make two teams and have player 1 & player 2 against player 3.

Player 3 would have all status doubled; so, double life, double channeling, double initial mana.  Additionally, this player also has an extra action marker and an extra quick cast marker. Finally, if you have time, this player can also make a spellbook with 240 points.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
Only advice I could give is use a non-threatening opening so the other two get into a slug fest. That and do not have a history of win streaks because they will double-team you regardless in that situation.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:40 AM »
I think there are a couple of other threads around recommending that each player wins if they kill the person on their left....

Biblofilter

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:50 AM »
I think there are a couple of other threads around recommending that each player wins if they kill the person on their left....

This could be ok.

What about starting positions?

And how many arenas? (the hexagonal might be better)
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Töten". "Alles Töten".
Best strat advice ever

ScaredyCat

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:18:54 PM »

This could be ok.

What about starting positions?

And how many arenas? (the hexagonal might be better)

Our group contemplated ideas like player on left to avoid the ganging up when a 1v1v1 turns into 2v1.  However, often the best defense is a firm offense and the game turns into 2v1 regardless.

Despite this likely outcome we had great success with 1v1v1 and play this way quite often.  Our preference is 2v2 and we've even tried a few 1v1v1v1's.

Hexagonal board is the way to go - see this thread: http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14232.0

We're hopeful to get a sixth player in our group and try out a 3v3 or 2v2v2.

Truly an awesome game !