April 27, 2024, 06:24:42 PM

Author Topic: Timing on Hellfire Trap and Caltrops Mangler in same zone  (Read 29529 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Timing on Hellfire Trap and Caltrops Mangler in same zone
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 07:43:49 AM »
Quote from: sIKE
Isn't Teleport an Effect that bypasses walls and objects?
It bypasses walls and objects in between zones A and B, but not those inside of zones A and B. If you enter or leave a zone, even via teleport, you still cause all enter zone triggers and leave zone effects.

Quote from: wtcannonjr
Perhaps we can clarify that teleport also cancels a previous attack trigger. That would support Shadow's description and provide more clarity around the concept of a 'trigger'.

That is true, but it has to be kept in mind what the ramifications of that would be. It would completely fly in the face of the rules on Damage Barriers currently. Sure, we could write out an exception to Damage Barriers, but I really don't like that nor see the necessity. It would just make the rules more clunky and convoluted. If people want the attack from Mangler Caltrops to be negated, then the easiest errata I think would be to turn them into a Melee Attack. I'm not sure why people have a problem with them still getting their attack though.

You did enter the zone. You had to set foot there in order to trigger these cards, thus you must have stepped on a Caltrop. You might have instantly been teleported when you set your foot down, but you were still injured.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:33 AM »
Yes, if it moves after the attack began. However, movement before an attack was declared does not affect the possibility of being attacked. You can't cancel something that hasn't even started yet. And attacks start with the Declare Attack Step.

Then if the teleport is before the attack (so no attack is made at all) what are you arguing about?

The teleport is made before the attack, so it does not cancel the attack. However, the teleport is made after the trigger, so the attack still needs to be made. The attack has no range limitations, therefore the creature is still a valid target. Ergo, the creature still takes damage for the Caltrop that it stepped on.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 08:15:11 AM »
I'm going to find the solution to this question gentlemen. I'll be contacting Bryan about the issue. Hopefully, we'll have a firm ruling soon.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 10:21:14 AM »
I'm going to find the solution to this question gentlemen. I'll be contacting Bryan about the issue. Hopefully, we'll have a firm ruling soon.
This amazes me, gonna get a fast turn around on something that is obvious via intent (teleport cancels the attack) just that the rules are not quite in-sync. However the Warlord striking himself with his War Sledge (me thinks this is not the intent) we are told that rules, hit the road jack, we'll work on it later, maybe, if you don't forget.  :'(
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »

This amazes me, gonna get a fast turn around on something that is obvious via intent (teleport cancels the attack) just that the rules are not quite in-sync. However the Warlord striking himself with his War Sledge (me thinks this is not the intent) we are told that rules, hit the road jack, we'll work on it later, maybe, if you don't forget.  :'(

I won't forget about that either. In fact, I'll send that email in just a moment.

V10lentray

• Member of Arcane Duels
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 12:30:34 PM »
However the Warlord striking himself with his War Sledge (me thinks this is not the intent)

you can attack yourself?

"Why you hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself?" - Older brother to little brother
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »
"Why you hitting yourself, why are you hitting yourself?" - Older brother to little brother

Being a big brother: ROFLMAO
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 05:41:23 PM »
However the Warlord striking himself with his War Sledge (me thinks this is not the intent)

you can attack yourself?

The case under discussion was that of a Sweeping attack, such as on a War Sledge, and too few valid targets in the zone not counting the Warlord using the Sledge... the Warlord has to target himself instead of deciding that he wants to stop attacking. Strange, huh? It was in another fairly recent thread.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2014, 10:19:21 AM »
Any news?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
Yes, I actually have something on both of those a little later today. It's been a jumble this morning.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2014, 12:35:49 PM »
There were a couple of recent posts regarding Teleport Trap that reminded me that we never really heard back on this.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 12:44:50 PM »
There were a couple of recent posts regarding Teleport Trap that reminded me that we never really heard back on this.

I had forgotten about this also.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2016, 04:27:19 AM »
I'm affraid we have an unsolved problem here: Trap & caltrops mangler in the same zone.

1) Which one goes first?
I think the rules are clear if the player with initiative controles one and only one of them: he goes first. And if one player controles both I think he chooses.

2) If the trap was a teleport, does the Caltrops attack?
The question was about the target mooving befor the first step of the attack...

Any news?

Halewijn

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2016, 05:44:58 AM »
Didnt read the entire tread, but the controller of the creature decides whenever there are timing issues. However, he cannot force you to reveal an enchantment thus even though the rules state this, in practice it is the controller of the enchantment who decides.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
When in doubt kill it with fire? I never doubt and crush them right away.

exid

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • The longer the better!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2016, 07:51:10 AM »
Didnt read the entire tread, but the controller of the creature decides whenever there are timing issues. However, he cannot force you to reveal an enchantment thus even though the rules state this, in practice it is the controller of the enchantment who decides.
the controller decides during upkeep. this is not upkeep.

the trap and the Caltrops give no choice.
the enchantment is revealed and the Caltrops attacks. I think that if the player with initiative controles one and only one of them, this one will trigger first.

(if there were 2 non-mandatory enchantments, the player with initiative would have the choice to reveal his first, and then the opponent)

isn't it?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:54:31 AM by Exid »