April 27, 2024, 06:48:04 PM

Author Topic: Anvil Throne Warlord  (Read 11068 times)

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • It's impossible to channel 1.21 Gigawatts!
    • View Profile
Anvil Throne Warlord
« on: September 09, 2014, 05:14:53 PM »
Equipment

1x Moonglow Amulet
1x Gauntlets of Strength
1x Harshforge Plate
1x General's Signet Ring
1x defense Ring
1x Mage Wand
1x Dispel Wand
1x Reflex Boots
1x Helm of Command
1x Elemental Cloak

Enchantments

1x Armor Ward
1x regrowth
1x Bear Strength
2x Mind Shield
1x Reverse Attack
1x Rhino Hide
1x Standard Bearer
4x Nullify
2x Decoy
1x Cheetah Speed
1x healing Charm

Conjurations

1x Enchanter's Wardstone

Creatures

2x Anvil Throne Crossbowmen
2x Bloodcrage Minotaur
2x Knight of Westlock
2x Orc Butcher
4x Goblin Grunt

Incantations

4x Power Strike
1x Seeking Dispel
2x Knockdown
4x Defed
4x Battle Fury

• Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
Roads for what we're playing we don't need roads.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Anvil Throne Warlord
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
You need something to give more actions. A barracks or a Battleforge. Otherwise you will be overwhelmed by your opponents actions. Did you even test this book before posting it? Goblin grunts are not worth the action to summon without a barracks to do it for you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 09:10:48 AM by BoomFrog »

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »
You need something to give more actions. A barracks or a Battleforge. Otherwise you will be overwhelmed by your opponents actions. Did you even test this book before posting it? Goblin grunts are not worth the action to summon without a barracks to do it for you.

Agreed, this book needs a battleforge and better equipment selection (Eisenach's hammer, deflection bracers, eagleclaw boots, etc) or a barracks and better creature selection.

I disagree with grunts not being worth your mage's full actions.  I used to think the same way, but with the Bloodwave you need creatures ASAP and that means getting meat on the board, even if all you can afford is a grunt.  As soon as you get behind creature-wise with barracks strategy you're probably going to lose.  Obviously this book may not end up as barracks strategy, but if he's going to go that route and play it like Bloodwave it's important to understand this, imo.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 02:51:14 PM »
Have you gotten a warlord swarm book to work?  I had a decent one going but it dies to Aviary.  Grunts can't handle birds and Slingers are even slightly worse then birds.  Basically +1 mana cost for +1 hp which isn't worth it.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 04:10:29 PM »
Have you gotten a warlord swarm book to work?  I had a decent one going but it dies to Aviary.  Grunts can't handle birds and Slingers are even slightly worse then birds.  Basically +1 mana cost for +1 hp which isn't worth it.

It depends what you consider swarm.  If you consider swarm a mix of level 1's and 2's (grunts, slingers, butchers, alchemists) then yes I believe I've gotten it to work.  Goblin Alchemist and acid ball made Warlord Swarm viable, imo (as well as other kinds).

In reference to the particular situation you mention, the way I would go about solving that would be in the following steps:

1).  Make Slingers to ranged attack birds
2).  Make Grunts to guard them
3).  Lay down Fortified position to reduce effectiveness of birds

Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.  Unless you buff your soldiers with zone/arena wide buffs, you will (should) lose to the beastmaster.  Luckily, +2 armor for a whole zone (for 5 mana with discount) effectively increases the health of your slingers and grunts to 6 and 8 or more (66% of the time).

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 07:11:26 PM »
Harping on him for not testing the book is a bit rough there @BoomFrog. GeorgeFalcon is new to the game so he still has much to learn about book building. That being said I can vouch he is learning at a very rapid rate. He will play this book in a game and learn it's shortcomings and adapt. We all were new and had to learn at some point.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 07:34:56 PM »
I've never really used Goblin Grunts and Goblin Slingers, but I've gotten Orc Butchers and Goblin Alchemists to work well.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
I've never really used Goblin Grunts and Goblin Slingers, but I've gotten Orc Butchers and Goblin Alchemists to work well.

I'd say give them both a go; they do pretty well since the release of corrode (like other low level creatures).

GeorgeFalcon

• Playtester
  • New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • It's impossible to channel 1.21 Gigawatts!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 01:41:53 AM »
A revision to the previous deck idea.

Equipment

1x Moonglow Amulet
1x Deflection Bracers
1x Harshforge Plate
1x Ring of Command
1x Defense Ring
1x Veteran's Belt
1x Mage Wand
1x Eagleclaw Boots
1x Morning Star
1x Helm of Command
1x Elemental Cloak
1x Horn of Gothos

Enchantments

1x Regrowth
1x Bear Strength
2x Mind Shield
1x Armor Ward
1x Rhino Hide
1x Standard Bearer
4x Nullify
2x Decoy
1x Cheetah Speed
1x Healing Charm

Conjurations

1x Barracks
1x Garrison Post
1x Archer's Watchtower

Creatures

2x Bloodcrag Minotaur
1x Gurmash, Orc Sergeant
2x Dwarf Panzergarde
2x Orc Butcher
4x Goblin Grunt
2x Goblin Slinger
1x Thorg, Chief Bodyguard

Incantations

3x Power Strike
1x Seeking Dispel
1x Akiro's Battle Cry
1x Knockdown
1x Piercing Strike
1x Perfect Strike
1x Sniper Shot
1x Dissolve
1x Defend
1x Battle Fury
1x Charge
1x Flank Attack
  • Favourite Mage: Sortilege Wizard
Roads for what we're playing we don't need roads.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:52:47 PM »
When posting builds it helps the community if you also post the first 3 turns and the primary strategy of the build. Otherwise it makes it difficult for people to decipher what your intent is with the card list. This makes advice harder to achieve.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 09:37:05 PM »

It depends what you consider swarm.  If you consider swarm a mix of level 1's and 2's (grunts, slingers, butchers, alchemists) then yes I believe I've gotten it to work.  Goblin Alchemist and acid ball made Warlord Swarm viable, imo (as well as other kinds).

In reference to the particular situation you mention, the way I would go about solving that would be in the following steps:

Not necessarily in that order, but you get the idea.  Unless you buff your soldiers with zone/arena wide buffs, you will (should) lose to the beastmaster.  Luckily, +2 armor for a whole zone (for 5 mana with discount) effectively increases the health of your slingers and grunts to 6 and 8 or more (66% of the time).
The grunts get punched by the beast master, the fortified position gets dispelled, and the slingers get ripped apart by the birds. My main opponent is very good at playing Aviary. I think in swarm vs swarm there is going to be one that is just more efficient and the other swarm books just need a back up plan vs Aviary.

@Maverick87: Your right.

@George: Sorry I was short with you. Like maverick said please post more then your naked book list, a 3 turn plan and some general thoughts could help a lot. Personally I make a3 turn plan vs aggressive and a 3 turn plan vs defensive and then I build the book around those plans.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 01:40:08 AM »

The grunts get punched by the beast master, the fortified position gets dispelled, and the slingers get ripped apart by the birds. My main opponent is very good at playing Aviary. I think in swarm vs swarm there is going to be one that is just more efficient and the other swarm books just need a back up plan vs Aviary.

@Maverick87: Your right.

@George: Sorry I was short with you. Like maverick said please post more then your naked book list, a 3 turn plan and some general thoughts could help a lot. Personally I make a3 turn plan vs aggressive and a 3 turn plan vs defensive and then I build the book around those plans.

So:

1) If the beastmaster is using his action to attack a 4 health, 2 armor grunt...good.  Even if it's just a normal grunt with no armor, if he kills it, so what? It did it's job.  If he doesn't, massive returns on that 4 mana.  It's basically a win win.

2).  You pay 5 for fortified position (w/ring).  He pays 6 to dispel.  Winning.  (carry enough FP's)

3).  Yeah, the backup plan is probably to fireball his tree.  The Warlord is all about efficiency, you just have to make it work.  Aviary really isn't that great without the tree.  The extra health is what seems to make it very strong.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:02 AM »
With the Etherian Life Tree since it states "All other Living creatures and conjurations gain Innate Life +2" your Grunts get the additional Life +2 also. Seems that it help keep your Grunts alive in same manner it keeps the birdies alive. If playing mean green there is even a reasonable chance that your Grunts become vets...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
With the Etherian Life Tree since it states "All other Living creatures and conjurations gain Innate Life +2" your Grunts get the additional Life +2 also. Seems that it help keep your Grunts alive in same manner it keeps the birdies alive. If playing mean green there is even a reasonable chance that your Grunts become vets...

Oh right, right.  I don't know why I forgot about that, lol. 

Yeah, then I probably wouldn't even take the tree down because it's a very real possibility that Bloodwave would get just as much or more benefit from the extra health than the beastmaster.

BoomFrog

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
Beastmaster doesn't play tree against another swarm. You don't get any vet tokens because your guys can't get any melee kills, an injured bird won't be the one to attack a guard so your have to get very lucky for a grunt to survive and kill a fresh bird in a counter attack. Playing ring of command isn't worth the action, whichever swarm achieves dominance will win and that will happen before round 4 of the game. Swarm vs swarm is very swingy.

The biggest problem I had is making my mage melee attack valuable. I was defending which got me pushed through a wall of thorns effectually losing 3 actions for his 2 since the guard is now irrelevant and I have to walk back to the action. I think a reach weapon is needed, which sadly means mage staff for the warlord as a meta play against aviary. Either that or Torak the sky hunter (who can get a very token too...)