May 02, 2024, 06:27:59 AM

Author Topic: TOTAL WAR - THE GREAT WALL OF ETHERIA  (Read 3595 times)

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
TOTAL WAR - THE GREAT WALL OF ETHERIA
« on: August 28, 2014, 10:13:33 PM »
In a lot of meta-games there is not a whole lot of time for build up before the enemy mage and possibly a few creatures are in your face. So inspired by walls and the card Gravikor I have come up with this play variant. The basic lure of this variant is that the wall has to be destroyed before you can attack the other mage. This gives extra time to establish infrastructure for a more epic battle when the two mages eventually collide. As the wall has no armor swarm books and large creature books are equally viable for it's destruction. WARNING This variant will extend average play time considerably.

TOTAL WAR - THE GREAT WALL OF ETHERIA

Both players start in their respective corners as normal following all normal rules of play for the basic game.

There will be 3 walls bisecting the arena into two equal sides. The walls are conjurations of the Arcane school and will have no armor but will each have 20 life. The effective spell level will be 10 and the effective mana cost will be 30.

This wall has the added text that it blocks passage and line of sight for all traits that would circumvent them (ie. creatures with the flying trait, climbing trait, or anything else that may come out in the future).

The walls are unable to be affected by any enchantments, incantations, or creature abilities (ie. no using cards or creature abilities to modify its values or repair it). Special note: Effect rolls on attacks still function normally (ie. Burn).

Attacks and effects with the indirect trait cannot be targeted at opponent controlled objects or effects on the opposite side of the wall (No using Archers Watchtowers or similar effects for early game aggression).

Upon being destroyed the wall is instead Obliterated (no effects will be able to ever bring it back from the discard pile).

At least one segment of the wall must be destroyed before a mage or an object or spell they control can effect, damage, or cause loss of life to the enemy mage or any objects or spells under their control (ie. Alter of Pestilence or Mordoks Obelisk have no effect on enemy controlled cards until a segment of wall is destroyed).

OTHER VARIANTS

1. Have a turn timer and obliterate the wall when the pre-agreed upon turn concludes. (ie. After the second players turn ends on turn 5).

2. When one section of the wall is obliterated obliterate the remaining sections as well.

3. Modify the health value of the wall lower or higher as agreed upon before a match. I like 20 because a lucky roll from a big creature or attack spell will not destroy it in one attack. Keep in mind both sides will likely be attacking it.

4.Modify the walls abilities for a play-style you desire. Want it to be a normal wall that flyers and indirect attacks can bypass? No problem! Want spells and conjurations that effect the arena to effect mages and creatures on the other side? No problem! It is your game after all feel free to change it to suit you.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:27:23 PM by Maverick87 »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: TOTAL WAR - THE GREAT WALL OF ETHERIA
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:38:55 PM »
This looks pretty interesting. Think I'll make my own version of this. Why are the walls arcane?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 09:11:51 PM »
This looks pretty interesting. Think I'll make my own version of this. Why are the walls arcane?

Mostly because I needed to assign a type. I figured as there were a LOT of special stipulations on the wall text wise and as Arcane is the least likely to have cards come out that would modify or effect a wall it fits. Granted there are specific rules that prevent people from modifying the wall but if there is a rule people will attempt to find an exception.
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 09:16:00 PM »

Mostly because I needed to assign a type. I figured as there were a LOT of special stipulations on the wall text wise and as Arcane is the least likely to have cards come out that would modify or effect a wall it fits. Granted there are specific rules that prevent people from modifying the wall but if there is a rule people will attempt to find an exception.

I don't understand. Why do your wall tokens have to have a school?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Maverick

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 12:22:00 AM »

I don't understand. Why do your wall tokens have to have a school?

Because walls in this game use cards as opposed to tokens and I wished to stick with that theme. I have no way to know what relationships this rules variant will have with future expansions so I did my best to future proof it as well. Feel free to change that in your games if you do not agree with it.