April 30, 2024, 02:43:54 PM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 8 Enter the Pope  (Read 6134 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 8 Enter the Pope
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:31:09 AM »
We're back for another Mage Wars Mondays, right before GenCon, and we have a special treat. This episode we'll be talking with Bryan Pope, creator of Mage Wars. We talk about all manner of past, present, and future (yes Future) Mage Wars, and even a little Marvel Comics.

Check the show out >>HERE<<.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Mondays - Episode 8 Enter the Pope
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
Oh my. So much goodness! I'll outline the main news for those who can't listen.

1) Illusionist is a Mage after all. It'll have a power where when it casts a creature, it places a token on them saying either strong or weak illusion. The opponent doesn't know which it is. Weak illusions can't attack and when they are attacked, they "pop" and go away and give the illusionist most of the mana back that it took to cast it. Strong illusions act mostly like normal creatures I think.

2) Shaman, Sorcerer, and Vampire Mages are also coming. Shaman will have Nature training, and low level training in water and air. He'll have Totem Pole conjurations. He'll have an ability to turn creatures into spirits, giving them the incorporeal trait. Sorcerer is Arcane and Dark. Have some emphasis on being able to teleport. Have Dark Portals and operate with other planes of existence.

3) Bryan's favorite Marvel character is Thanos! A bad guy, hmmmm. Rick's is the Punisher! Woo. Aaron's is Spiderman. Tox's is Batman, lol. But from Marvel, Captain America, which is mine too!

4) They're eventually going to make a Mage Wars RPG! Where you'll take your Mage into a real adventure and level them up and do real quests with your spells and stuff! Awesome!

BTW Happy Birthday Rick!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 11:28:32 AM by Lord0fWinter »
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
Yes!!! New MWM Episode <3 - will give it a shot tonight at work :3

The new mages, besides shaman, do not sound that pleasing... A Vampire-creature, i get that, but a mage? As for the Illusionist, I just don't like he idea, with no special reason.
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:43 PM »
I'm glad to see some more dual-training Mages are in the pipeline.  Sorcerer sounds awesome! 

The Mage Wars RPG also sounds interesting, but I kind of dread how long any adventure is going to take since regular Mage Wars battles already last 1-2 hours.  Are we talking 4-6 hour long games or D&D time scales here?

As a side note, if they ever come out with Mages which are trained in opposing schools, such as Holy and Dark, or Arcane and War, I'm going to be so excited. 

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 12:17:13 PM »
I'm still dreaming that we'll get a full scale video game rpg someday.
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 12:22:21 PM »
"As a side note, if they ever come out with Mages which are trained in opposing schools, such as Holy and Dark, or Arcane and War, I'm going to be so excited."

...Just...why? They are opposing for a reason and as such unable to work well together. If they break that rule i'd be furious. The suggestion is as childish as a dragonninjavampiremage... (haha)

But that is just...my opinion man :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Brian VanAlstyne

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »
You've never heard of a Dark Priest?

klaymen

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
I think the most important question about the Vampire mage is: does he sparkle?

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »
You mean like Ignite + Combustion?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Ganpot

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
...Just...why? They are opposing for a reason and as such unable to work well together. If they break that rule i'd be furious. The suggestion is as childish as a dragonninjavampiremage... (haha)

There's no reason opposing elements can't work together, so long as the Mage still has some weaknesses.  For example, Death Knights and Anti-Paladins are the pretty standard mixing of Holy and Death magic.  I don't know of a good example of a War and Arcane mixing off the top of my head, but I'm sure the devs could think of some interesting ones. 

You've never heard of a Dark Priest?

That would also work  ;D

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 09:39:56 AM »
I cant wait for the sorcerer!!! Both of my favorite schools of magic together!!!!!!!!!!!! Dark + Arcane= Amazing devastation. :D
Also, about the war and arcane, a mage that makes weapons out of arcane energy. He summons autonomous weapons and has ranged melee attacks (with a one dice penalty and only 0-1). Enchantments that gives him attributes that weapons would have (sword: counterstrike and piercing 1), cantrip equipment he can change for a quick cast and no creatures, unless you count floating weapons>

ozmo

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2014, 04:48:44 PM »
I've been enjoying the podcasts and this episode was no exception.

Really interested in and excited about the future mages. Although as a confirmed alt-oholic it will be difficult. But I'm up to the challenge.

Elessar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2014, 07:19:43 PM »
Love how the shaman sounds.  Illusionist sounds interesting, but maybe not my ball of wax.  As for the sorcerer, arcane + dark sounds like a killer combo but I'll be interested to see how they balance that.