May 02, 2024, 02:38:03 AM

Author Topic: Goblin Swarm  (Read 3730 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Goblin Swarm
« on: July 24, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
As promised, i was thinking about Goblin Swarm for past few days and somewhat compose my first attempt.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Goblin Swarm 1.0[/spellbookname]
[mage]A Warlord Spellbook[/mage]
[mage]built by the OCTGN SBB[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFW01]4 x Wall of Earth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWW01]2 x Wall of Pikes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ02]1 x Archer's Watchtower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ03]1 x Altar of Domination[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ04]1 x Armory[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ02]1 x Altar of Carnage[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ03]1 x Barracks[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ05]1 x Construction Yard[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNJ03]1 x Etherian Lifetree[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWJ04]1 x Garrison Post[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFJ06]1 x Rolling Fog[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC06]3 x Goblin Alchemist[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC05]6 x Goblin Grunt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC06]3 x Goblin Slinger[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC04]1 x Goblin Builder[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC07]1 x Gurmash, Orc Sergeant[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWC07]1 x Grimson Deadeye, Sniper[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFC12]1 x Talos[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE02]1 x Akiro's Favor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE09]1 x Standard Bearer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E21]1 x Hawkeye[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE04]2 x Brace Yourself[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFE07]1 x Rust[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E27]2 x Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MW1E20]1 x Harmonize[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ04]1 x General's Signet Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ06]1 x Horn of Gothos[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ05]1 x Helm of Command[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFQ05]1 x Harshforge Plate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWQ08]1 x Ring of Command[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI04]2 x Flank Attack[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI06]2 x Defend[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI02]2 x Conquer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX2FFI03]2 x Disarm[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKI02]1 x Akiro's Battle Cry[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI04]1 x Force Wave[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI08]1 x Sniper Shot[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI11]2 x Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI13]1 x Seeking Dispel[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI16]2 x Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWI17]2 x Force Push[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=FWA04]2 x Hurl Boulder[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

Opening

1. Rnd (19 mana) I move into lowest center and cast Barracks (12 mana) left lowest corner and Construction Yard (7 mana) right lowest corner.
2. Rnd (9 mana + 2 barracks + 1 Const. Yard) I will cast G.Builder from barracks (5 mana), QC Generals Signet (3 mana) and Full Cast Goblin Grunt (3 mana)
3. Rnd (9 mana + 2 barracks + 2 Const. Yard) Now it all depends on my enemy and his behaviour.

I was hoping that i will be able pump out all 6 goblin grunts and Gourmash and start dealing some dmg and keep my enemy occupide while i will build archers watch tower or other outposts and cast Talos, which wouhld shatter my enemy actions more and more. I still dont know, how much efficient would goblins in first rounds will be.

Important cards:

Horn of Gothos - i will have goblins in smaller groups and thus i need to be able cast FAST battle order on whole arena.
Standard Bearer - at first, i was planning on using asyran defender as a standard bearer but will try it on Gurmash in first games. +1 Attack and +1 Armor is obvious.
Mark For Death - on mage or its biggest creature
Rolling Fog - together with FAST battle order, i hope i will improve Goblins survivability further.

Armory - i am still not sure about this. +1 Armor would be fine on Butchers, Defenders or Skeletal Sentries, not on G.Grunts. I dont believe that they will survive a medium attack even if they have 1 armor.

Altar of Carnage + lots of goblins = great mana income + mana on Const.Yard which i would like to spend on second part of my plan which is Dwarf Sniper in tower, with Hawkeye and Akiros Favor behind earth walls. I hope that Dwarf would be able trough "Piercing battle order" and "Sniper Shot Incantation" bind on "Command helmet" deal enough dmg to shut down all those nasty Conjurations like Idol of Pestilence, Altar of Skulls, Mordok Obelisk, Suppresion Orb or Spawnpoints. I was hoping for Akiros hammer with indirect trait but dwarf will do better and it is not limited on corporeal conjurations only.

Etherian Life Tree - this is a great "out of my first plan card". If my opponent had one or two big creatures, their health gain will still be +2 to +6 on their side. If i had 4 to 6 goblins, it will be 8 to 16 life on my side. Also, it will provide more time if my oponent cast Idol of pestilence.

Akiros Battle Cry - this card seems to be super usefull but still i dont feel confident about it. It is designed for Swarms but its cost/effectivity ratio is pretty low.

For armored targets, i have rust and goblin alchemists. For well protected targets i have Sniper and for Turtles i have a Talos prepared. There are still lot of holes and cards and great "What ifs..." but i hope i cover the basics.

I hope, that in the future there will be Goblin Shaman and its Altar of Viper Fangs, which will provide rot possibility for all goblin melee attacks.

Feel free to tear this build apart, only trough mistakes one is becoming a master :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Swarm
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:36:41 PM »
You should probably take power strike, even multiples; it works really well with level 1-2 creatures.  Also, Grimson seems pretty random and doesn't fit the strategy at all.  At that rate you might as well take out hawkeye as well.  Oh, and Gurmash likely won't have much to do without more commands. 

You might also want to consider a surging wave to put burns on your barracks, and acid balls.  Armor absolutely shuts down swarm, and I don't think alchemists can cover that job all by themselves.  Overall the build seems pretty solid, though I don't like the fact that you have no butchers, but with the added card base of DvN (acid ball) and FiF (Flank attack) higher level creatures with increased dice/survivability built in aren't as essential.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »

Important cards:

Etherian Life Tree -

Akiros Battle Cry -

Akiros Battle Cry  is a almost useless card.
It is very weak.

I dont think you will have enough mana to play Etherian Life Tree.

I played a goblin warlod with FiF.
then I give up this play style.... This style kill enemy in a very slow process...
And we need try to protect warlord as like protecting NEC.

And in my opion,ring of command is still hard to use in FiF.
It is too busy to cast other no-command spell!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:28:04 AM by timer000 »

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:41:43 AM »
So far, it seems that you are right about Akiros Battle Cry. I was thinking about this card as a grand finisher. I do my math and was already aware of its limitations before i put it into spell book. I will give it a try again but its prize in SB points and mana is making it a first candidate to not get it into Goblin Swarm 2.0.

Two groups of goblins operating via Fast order from Horn of Ghotos was nice. I was able to destroy my oponents mana flowers (no mana for construction yard :( ) and attack his mage with no delays. But that was against a pure novice.

Next week, i am planning to have a match with a really skilled player, so i am hoping that he will also help me tu undiscover all weak points in this book.

I like goblins and image of hoards of them destroing everything in their path like a surging wave is my goal :)

I am having fun and that is what matters about this book :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )