March 28, 2024, 09:16:24 AM

Author Topic: Mage suggestions  (Read 33713 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mage suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
Training in all Level 1 Schools seemed like an interesting idea, but it's actually boring (many tough choices, or splashing is removed).

A limited (per-game) pre-paring a spell from your discard pile? Or returning a spell from your discard to your spell book?

You mean like this? Not Bard themed, but similar mechanics...

Knabbmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 02:59:50 PM »
Witch
32 life, 0 armor, 10 channeling and 120 spell points
Trained in dark school holy spells cost triple during spellbook creation.

Whenever witch reveals a curcse enchantment she may have target creature gain 2 direct damage.

Once per round as a quick spell wicht may put an condition marker on a creature up too 1 zone away by paying it's removal cost +1. Or as a full action put any number off condition markers off her choice on target creature in the same zone by paying their removal costs +creatures level

3 die melle attack

Also she would have one equipment card wich only she is allowed too have: voodoo doll. It would cost 12 mana too cast and would allow the witch too target the doll instead off a creature she chosen. It would also be epic and say "if voodoo doll is destroyed deal 5 damage too the creature it was representing.

• Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

Zaunpfahl

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 04:05:03 PM »
Training in all Level 1 Schools seemed like an interesting idea, but it's actually boring (many tough choices, or splashing is removed).

A limited (per-game) pre-paring a spell from your discard pile? Or returning a spell from your discard to your spell book?

You mean like this? Not Bard themed, but similar mechanics...

Similar.  For theme and balance reasons, I'd probably make the Cantrip or similar effect depend on a Set # of times, rather than mana. The ability would be used in almost every game, and won't be quite so abusive.

jupiter999

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:03:59 PM »
Why would ice slow creatures? Isn't ice slippery?

Yea, agree that ice should slippery.
Maybe Ice floor / terrain may cause movement "overshoot" into another zone in move direction, and bump onto wall (if applicable) for additional damage.

Thematically I want a Bard/Skald character (so bad it hurts).  Mechanically, I'm not sure how I would work this though; the Warlord already occupies the obvious (to me) design space.

Perhaps Bard will trained in Sound based Mind school, but must equipped with musical instruments.
Sound mechanism might affect certain targets, though not sure the details yet...

Anyway, just some ideas.
Happy MW.

qaz_azaran

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 04:05:04 PM »
"Why would ice slow creatures? Isn't ice slippery?"

I am confused by your confusion.  You go slow on ice so you don't slip and fall on your butt.  It's kinda obvious.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 05:56:45 PM »
If alchemists aren't mages, then I don't think it's likely that bards will be...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

drmambo23

• Ambassador
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 09:10:15 AM »
One that I think will be really cool is a Blood Mage trained in War or Arcane and Dark.  Give him a smaller amount of mana and channeling (which can be upgraded with spell cards) but have him cast blood golems and blood spells using his life points instead of mana.  There could also be a spell that lets him take back the creatures he summons with blood for a health bonus if his life starts running low.

I really like the idea of the Weapon Master too

An Ice mage would be great too!
https://www.instagram.com/pistillidesigns/
Instagram and Facebook - @pistillidesigns

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
  • Playing face-to-face in Ottawa again soon
    • View Profile
    • Ottawa/Gatineau Mage Wars (FB group)
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 02:12:31 PM »
I was recently counting the mages from the different schools and noticed a few things.  The most obvious is that 3 of the 4 core set mages have an alternate of the complementary gender appearing in an expansion, with a female Wizard noticeably absent.  Also noticeable is that the schools haven't been equally featured.  So far, there are 3 Nature (2 Beastmasters and a Druid), 3 Dark (2 Warlocks and a Necromancer), 2 War (2 Warlords), 2 Holy (2 Priests), 1 Mind (Forcemaster) and 1 Arcane (Wizard).  If you look at the Elemental schools (ignoring the Wizard since he can be any of these), there are currently 2 Fire (Warlocks), 2 Earth (Warlords), 1 Water (Druid, but low level only) and no Air (although the Wizard's recommended starter book is Air). 

If we assume the Siren will be Mind/Water and the Paladin will be Holy/War (? - could it be the first to be trained in 2 non-element schools?), then we would have 3 Nature, 3 Holy, 3 War, 3 Dark, 2 Mind and still just 1 Arcane.  The elements would be mostly evened up, with 2 Fire, 2 Earth, 2 Water (although still only 1 that goes beyond low-level spells), but still no Air.

In order to even things up, it seems to me that the most obvious expansion after Paladin/Siren would be (1) an alternate female Wizard who specializes in Air and/or Water (with a preference for ice magic), and (2) an alternate male Forcemaster.  The former would finally give us a second Wizard option, although it might be hard to balance without making the existing Wizard even more powerful (e.g. strong water/ice and air/wind spells); the latter would give the Forcemaster some help (as was done for the Warlord), since she has become one of the harder mages to win with.

Alt Wizard evidence: See recent promos including Windstorm, Gale Force Ring, Rain Cloud, Acid Blast, Staff of Storms, Lightning Strike, Wall of Poison Gas, Lightning Beetle, Leviathan Scale Armor, Storm Drake Hide.  Some of these feature art with a white-haired female wizard (see Acid Blast and Windstorm), also shown here:
Of course, several of these promos, especially the Water spells, might be included in the Paladin/Siren expansion.  Further evidence includes the Frost and Defrost keywords in print but without a purpose (assuming they aren't Siren-y), and I'm sure I'm not the only person who would like to see that rectified. And like others, I'd love to see some ice-related terrain.

Forcemaster evidence: Not so much, aside from the Forcemaster being in need of help and currently alone in her play style (aggressive and largely creatureless).  There's the Wall of Force promo, but not much else.  More mind spells would certainly be welcome, especially more illusion-like creatures, more Mind conjurations that help deal with the board state (analogous to Harshforge Monolith, etc), maybe a new spawnpoint/familiar or two (e.g. an analogue to a Battle Forge or Wizard's Tower for Mind mages), new equipment (Force Armor?), etc.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2015, 04:27:53 PM »
The Sorceror that was mentioned in a podcast will have arcane and dark training
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »
The Sorceror that was mentioned in a podcast will have arcane and dark training

Is the female Wizard a "Sorcerer" or that something different?  The art above has a (living) owl (familiar?) on her shoulder, and nothing  in the image to suggest Dark. Similarly, the cards that depict her are all water or air school, with no suggestion of Dark.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
The female Wizard is a Wizard. A Sorcerer would be a new Mage entirely.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »
The female Wizard is a Wizard. A Sorcerer would be a new Mage entirely.

Has there been any word on when she (Wizard) might show up?  "Spell Tome" expansion following Paladin vs. Siren perhaps?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:43:44 PM »
Not yet. Right now it is looking like sometime after PVS.

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 01:40:42 PM »
Was browsing around and just found the artwork for a male Forcemaster... flying, no less. Could be very cool if he had Flying as an ability, or even a new equipment or enchantment (with Magebind) that grants flying. Anyway, I'll still cross my fingers that the next Spell Tome expansion following PvS will be (female) Wizard vs (male) Forcemaster. Maybe call it "Mind Over Matter" or something...

« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:42:36 PM by iNano78 »

iNano78

• Ambassador
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »
Please forgive me "necro'ing" this thread, but I didn't see value in starting a new one on the same topic, and some of this discussion may still be relevant.

Gen Con interviews spoiled some info about upcoming expansions in the works.  It sounds to me like the next several releases, not necessarily in this order, might look something like this:

Large 2-mage Arena expansions:
  • Paladin vs. Siren (fall 2015 spring 2016?)
  • Barbarian vs. Sorcerer (late 2016?)

Small 2-mage Arena "spell tome" expansions:
  • Alt-Forcemaster (male) vs. Alt-Wizard (female) (sometime after Paladin vs. Siren?)
  • ??? - see speculation below (sometime after Barbarian vs. Sorcerer?)

Battlegrounds alternate play mode expansions:
  • Arch-mage (one-vs-many?) (summer 2016?)
  • Dungeon crawl (cooperative vs AI? competitive vs AI? cooperative vs overlord?) (summer 2017?)

Academy core sets:
  • Beastmaster vs Wizard (fall 2015)
  • Priestess vs Warlock (fall 2015 or winter/spring 2016?)
  • presumably more mages released in 2-mage sets

Speculation
In the spirit of Conquest of Kumanjaro and Forged in Fire, I would imagine the next small-box Spell Tome release following the one for Male Forcemaster vs Female Wizard would also feature alternate versions (e.g. opposite sex or different species) and more cards for existing mages that came out in the core set or large box expansions.  Upon the next Spell Tome release, Druid and Necromancer will be the oldest mages without an alternate version, with Paladin and Siren being the next oldest.  I'm not sure a second Druid vs. Necromancer would be ideal; perhaps we might see each of the Druid and Necromancer face off against other mages, similar to Warlock vs Warlord and Forcemaster vs Wizard.  Or not.  I don't know.

I got to thinking that there seems to be an Egyptian-inspired theme going on in several of the promo cards.  Pharaoh's Cheetah.  Ankh of Asyra.  Maybe Lightning Beetle and Death's Head Scorpion (or is that a stretch?).  Wouldn't it be cool if the Alt-Necromancer was the Etherian equivalent of an Egyptian Pharaoh or Queen, perhaps a Cleopatra that is all about raising mummies?!  Ankh of Asyra would be a logical "anti-Necromancer" equipment for her opponent.  I'm not sure who she'd go up against, but it would seem that somebody with Nature/animal training would make sense, given the Pharaoh's Cheetah and various insects/arachnids that would fit the theme. Or somebody with Holy, given the Ankh, Circle of Light, Elfric's Lifering, Temple Highguard, Joseph Trueblood, etc.  Of course, we may very well see some of those cards in the Paladin expansion.  Also, Asto Vidatu might be Egyptian enough (kind of scorpion-like "manticore") and would definitely be a good choice against a Holy mage - he even has the title of Angel Slayer!  Maybe it will be an Egyptian-themed expansion feature Alt-Necromancer vs Alt-Paladin?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 04:07:14 PM by iNano78 »