April 24, 2024, 02:18:33 AM

Author Topic: Custom Spellbooks  (Read 13498 times)

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Custom Spellbooks
« on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:49 PM »
As an old school D&D player, I love the idea of the spell book.  Some people says the draw of cards from the spell book makes them feel like an apprentice more than a master mage.  I think of it more as draw and using all the spell componets to cast the spell.  really getting into the roleplaying of MW.  To make it more thematic I modified a spell book for the huntress (JBM).

I took pieces of rough suede and hand sew them together, then wrapped it around the cover of the spell book. I then made a panther paw print and placed it on the back cover.  I tried to use a sodering iron and tried to brand the MW logo on the paw print. finally I hand cut a leather strip to bind the spine of the book.

So far I have created 6 custom spell books, each to a specific mage.  Thought put into what each mage would want in their spell book and why.  The pics of my custom spell books are too big to upload now,  I have to take new pictures when I have time so I can upload to show them.
Jedi vs that orc guy from L of the R, wow what a mix,... i wonder if AW would consider Dhalsim a mage.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Spellbooks
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:45 PM »
That is just straight up cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Lord0fWinter

• Warden of the North
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 7
  • www.magewars.weebly.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 11:55:28 PM »
I hope to see them soon. They sound amazing! You could try using http://www.use.com/ or any other image hosting site to upload them and then just give us the links on here.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer
Visit my Mage Wars blog at www.magewars.weebly.com, also check me out on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/MageWarsBlog and on twitter at @MageWarsBlog

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:58:20 AM »
Beastmistress spellbook cover

back cover

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:41:45 PM by lil_drag_n »
Jedi vs that orc guy from L of the R, wow what a mix,... i wonder if AW would consider Dhalsim a mage.

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
Thank you LordofWinter for the advice,...pics for each spell book will follow shortly, enjoy them,... I did making and using them.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 02:06:43 PM »
Wow - this looks amazing, really hyped for the next 5!

Could you explain how you did them or make a short tutorial for someone who has zero crafting skills like me? :D
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 02:20:20 PM »
AW!!! Hire this man immediately!!!

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 01:13:09 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  Making this books were a lot of fun.  These creation has several phases. First is the planning the basic vision of what each mage's spell book would look like.  For example the beastmistress would have a very tribal or primitive book.  So I just didn't want a smooth leather bound book. I took the roughest piece suede i could find and cut it into big chunks.  Then I refit them together and hand sewed it.  The leather was tough and my hands got tired so I had to do it in several session.

The second phase was getting the material and supplies.  Lucky for me I have access to a variety of leathers.  For the first few books I used dollar store epoxy to glue the leather to the AW spell books, but now I just used a good glue stick.  All the other assessories and details are bought at Walmart, Michaels arts and craft or the dollar store craft section.  I just keep my eyes open for anything that would look good the spell books and I didn't want anything that looked tacky.  I like to use metal details which surprisingly can also be fasten with a glue stick.  I had to sew a little on the other books and sometime I use two sided tape.  Because the leather was free for me and Michaels has great weekly coupons each book only cost me like $5 or less in material and supplies. 

Third phase is edit.  I had to make several changes because some things didn't work out the way I wanted.  For example the epoxy can get messy and mess up the project. The first spot on the panther paw was an accident.  I had epoxy residue on my finger that marked the paw so I rolled with it and added more spots.  Most people don't know panthers have black spots on their black fur. In my later books I do a lot less editing because my planning became better with experience.  However I did have a fellow MW player friend give me some more ideas after he sees them.

These book were fun to make but a little time consuming.  They are a labor of love because I love mage wars.

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »
The second book I completed was my wizard spell book.

I wanted the wizard spell book to look simple and sturdy, functional and well used.  I used 3 different brown tone leather.  Built in a bookmark and used metal decals for the corners.  I sealed this spell book with the mystical bonding material only the wizard knows about,... Velcro

cover

back

« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 12:14:15 AM by lil_drag_n »

kiwipaul

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
Wow, well done, your labour of love is loved by the rest of us who also love the game.  Don't suppose you live in The Netherlands do you?

lil_drag_n

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
No my friend. I live near Toronto Ontario Canada.  Happy to hear Mage Wars is loved world wide.  My necro book is up next.