September 28, 2024, 09:27:05 PM

Author Topic: Beast Master: Warrior of the Wild  (Read 10926 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Beast Master: Warrior of the Wild
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 02:55:05 PM »
I was hoping for a 'Lost bear cub'. 5-mana creature with 3 dice attack, lumbering, pest. If your opponent hurts a hair on its head you get to instantly summon its mama (steelclaw grizzly) for free.

<3

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 03:02:40 PM »
3. Panda bears. Best way to go. Nobody is going to see this coming. That or a Frost Immune Polar Bear.
Not sure Pandas are bears. Mind you, dinosaurs aren't lizards and spiders aren't insects!

I was hoping for a 'Lost bear cub'. 5-mana creature with 3 dice attack, lumbering, pest. If your opponent hurts a hair on its head you get to instantly summon its mama (steelclaw grizzly) for free.

According to the mighty "Wikipedia" the Giant Panda is in fact a bear. I was kinda shocked. Granted the Red Panda is unrelated to the Giant Panada, being more closely related to Weasels than Bears.

Did you mean that dinosaurs aren't reptiles? Going back that far in time it's tough to say what they classify as other than Dinosaurs. I'm sure we could go back and forth on that.

I know that spiders are not insects. That one is pretty ironclad. However, from a game standpoint when you want the possibility in the future of a mage focusing on "arthropods" it's easier to just call everything and insect than to put "arthropod" on a card. But that's part of the problem with "animals" in general. By pure science the beastmaster should have a fair bit more animals, but part of our clarifications are based on aspects of the game world and ease of reference.

Sorry to any zoologists out there who are offended by our loose classifications.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 03:15:12 PM »
Ok technically speaking humans are animals so I SHOULD theoretically be able to have a Pet Knight of Westlock in theory....but yeah game balance and all that jazz. Though honestly when we get down to it elves are little more than savage animals just below the sentient level so a Pet Royal Archer shouldn't be out of the question there. Though admittedly they'd make terrible pets what with their pitiful melee attacks and inability to make it to the liter box in time. 8)
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 10:15:56 PM »
If I put together an Animal Kinship build that ran both a Lair and a Battle Forge, I would probably run something like this, although a few cars are placeholders.

[spellbook]
[spellbookheader]
[spellbookname]Warrior of the Wilds[/spellbookname]
[mage]Beastmaster[/mage]
[/spellbookheader]
[spells]
[spellclass]Attack[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNA01]2 x  Acid Ball[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWA02]1 x  Force Hammer[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKA01]1 x  Surging Wave[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Conjuration[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1j10]1 x  Lair[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j02]1 x  Animal Kinship[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j13]2 x  Mana Flower[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j22]3 x  Tanglevine[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1j04]1 x  Battle Forge[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Creature[/spellclass]
[mwcard=DNC16]2 x  Spitting Raptor[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c37]4 x  Thunderift Falcon[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c07]1 x  Cervere, The Forest Shadow[/mwcard]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKC03]1 x  Galador, Protector of Straywood[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c12]1 x  Emerald Tegu[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c04]2 x  Bitterwood Fox[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c38]2 x  Timber Wolf[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c14]2 x  Feral Bobcat[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1c34]1 x  Steelclaw Grizzly[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Enchantment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1e01]3 x  Bear Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e03]2 x  Bull Endurance[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e20]1 x  Harmonize[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e32]2 x  Regrowth[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e05]1 x  Cheetah Speed[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e28]1 x  Mongoose Agility[/mwcard]
[mwcard=FWE03]1 x  Falcon Precision[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e33]1 x  Retaliate[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e36]1 x  Rhino Hide[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e13]1 x  Eagle Wings[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e07]1 x  Cobra Reflexes[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e27]2 x  Marked for Death[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1e40]1 x  Vampirism[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Equipment[/spellclass]
[mwcard=MWSTX1CKQ06]1 x  Eagleclaw Boots[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q09]1 x  Enchanter's Ring[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q18]1 x  Mage Staff[/mwcard]
[mwcard=DNQ09]1 x  Wand of Healing[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q23]1 x  Regrowth Belt[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q06]1 x  Dragonscale Hauberk[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q02]1 x  Bearskin[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q25]1 x  Ring of Beasts[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q11]1 x  Gauntlets of Strength[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1q07]1 x  Elemental Cloak[/mwcard]
[spellclass]Incantation[/spellclass]
[mwcard=mw1i23]2 x  Rouse the Beast[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i19]2 x  Piercing Strike[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i28]1 x  Teleport[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i07]2 x  Dissolve[/mwcard]
[mwcard=mw1i06]3 x  Dispel[/mwcard]
[/spells]
[cost]Total cost: 120 pts[/cost]
[/spellbook]

I would replace the pair of Bull Endurance with a pair of Lion's Savageries, the pair of Piercing Strikes with a pair of Defends, and the Mage Staff with a Morningstar. Few things are worse than having your mage hit himself for 8+ dice.

dark_dar

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 11:29:29 AM »
Very interesting book indeed. As Beastmaster is one of my favorite mages, I think I might steal some ideas from here :-)

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 04:15:44 PM »

4. Generally I go either Lair/Harmonize first turn, or I go Battle Forge/Enchanters Ring. Either way I try to get myself prepped as fast as possible. Of the 3 matches I've gone with the Battle Forge start twice now. Then I get the Lair and on Round 3 I'm gearing/enchanting up my Mage to get in there if need be. Cheetah Speed and Bears Strength along with Gauntlets of Strength from the forge. Early creatures are either foxes or bobcats and
I get the first Animal Kinship out. Mid game I'm generally swinging 7-9 attack dice with the mage with a fox, bobcat, raptor combo backing me up. I use my Quick Cast each turn to put out something else that will make me stronger be it another enchantment, the second Animal Kinship, or whatever.

The build sounds pretty cool.  The only thing I'm suspect of is the double spawnpoint.  In my experience, spending more than ~20 mana on your opening sets you too far behind against a skilled opponent (not just someone going "aggro").  I think a cool start could be forge + animal kindship, and ditch the lair.  I'd like to try the book out though.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
Doug that book looks pretty solid man.

Dark Dar steal away.

Arlemus I was dubious of the two spawn points, still am even, but it's been working so far so we'll see.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Arlemus

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 10:10:59 PM »
[quote author=silverclawgrizzly link=topic=14258.msg38290#msg38290 date=1403835014

Arlemus I was dubious of the two spawn points, still am even, but it's been working so far so we'll see.
[/quote]

When I tried double spawnpoint I always tried to recover the costs with med amulet, but your build is making me think it might be better to just continue without meditating...
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 10:30:38 PM »
Yeah unfortunately you really don't get time to meditate with this build, but then I've never been good with the amulet to begin with.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 02:03:24 AM »
3. Panda bears. Best way to go. Nobody is going to see this coming. That or a Frost Immune Polar Bear.
Not sure Pandas are bears. Mind you, dinosaurs aren't lizards and spiders aren't insects!

According to the mighty "Wikipedia" the Giant Panda is in fact a bear. I was kinda shocked. Granted the Red Panda is unrelated to the Giant Panada, being more closely related to Weasels than Bears.

Did you mean that dinosaurs aren't reptiles? Going back that far in time it's tough to say what they classify as other than Dinosaurs. I'm sure we could go back and forth on that.

I know that spiders are not insects. That one is pretty ironclad. However, from a game standpoint when you want the possibility in the future of a mage focusing on "arthropods" it's easier to just call everything and insect than to put "arthropod" on a card. But that's part of the problem with "animals" in general. By pure science the beastmaster should have a fair bit more animals, but part of our clarifications are based on aspects of the game world and ease of reference.

Sorry to any zoologists out there who are offended by our loose classifications.
Oh, I completely agree with the way MageWars classifies things in practice. Although my brother is very sad about the spitting raptor classification: the fact it isn't labelled 'dinosaur' means he doesn't expect to see many other dinosaurs popping up, and he was really hoping for a T-Rex pet.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 05:10:00 AM »
There had better be dinosaurs in future selves. If raptors can spit acid I want a lightning shooting pterodactyl and of course fire spewing t-rex. I will love him, and Pet him, and name him George ;D

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 05:26:27 AM »
A T-Rex without 'baby' in front would obviously be legendary and thus no pet allowed :)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 05:31:30 AM »
Jack I don't crush your dreams man. Kindly allow me my delusions please :P It's bad enough Laddinface dashed my hopes for that tank a few months back.

Myrddin

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 06:19:20 AM »
There had better be dinosaurs in future selves. If raptors can spit acid I want a lightning shooting pterodactyl and of course fire spewing t-rex. I will love him, and Pet him, and name him George ;D
Bad time to point out that pterodactyls aren't dinosaurs?

*Goes and hides in the pedantry shed*

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
Yeah and as was mentioned earlier spiders aint insects but we're a little liberal with these titles here.