May 01, 2024, 12:47:23 PM

Author Topic: Johktari Beastmaster & Staff of the Arcanum  (Read 4707 times)

Doucotasisay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Johktari Beastmaster & Staff of the Arcanum
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:17:33 PM »
Hey folks, been playing for a while now, posting for the first time

I love the Johktari Beastmaster, innate fast is just and awesome trait for a mage. Because of this, I think Lion Savagery is her best friend, however I really dont want to lose out on Ranged +1, so I've been fooling around with the staff of the arcanum, so I can blast when I want to be out of the zone and then if i want to, I can charge in.

thoughts anyone?

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Johktari Beastmaster & Staff of the Arcanum
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
I think that's not a bad idea at all honestly. In fact it's down right clever. I may try that myself. I also run a Dancing Scimitar with my Johktari for when I get up close and personal.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Doucotasisay

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:24 PM »
I got the idea with the heart of Gravikor, sucks that its warmage only. What she really needs though is a quick action ranged attack. today i got away with her just having lion savagery and mongoose agility, a 5 dice attack with piercing plus one isnt anything to laugh it.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 11:46:02 PM »
And there's always Bears Strength of course. There's a good number of solid melee weapons out there now so it's really just a matter of tastes. The staff is a good idea as it gives you a range option too.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Shifthappens

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:15:17 AM »
the jahtari being fast, its kinda better having only mage staff so that it can have reach for flying and only has to buff melee, and the ranged isnt usefull with elusive since you bypass guard. The staff is really nice on its own, with the ability to lower mana too, hmmm, and the ranged attack is lower then bows. yet, it IS both kind of attack :S ugh, i guess i'm kinda picky. the only thing the staff of the arcanum has over mage staff is mana drain, just cause the mage staff has reach and lower cost. that and not having to put elusive to bypass guard at a range of 1. Also, ranged of 3 and melee of 4, with the ranged +1 trait of that beastmaster, is the same as melee of 4 with reach.

As a lot of other say, she need some sort of quick ranged attack somehow to really be good at range.

It's kinda late here so maybe my post isn't quite clear (as is my mind right now i guess) but i believe the drawbacks are a lil bit too high for the benefit. It IS a nice idea, but i cant say i'm sold yet.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 06:35:41 AM »
There is no draw back vs Mage Staff beside that it cost 3 more mana and 2 more SP but you gain Mana Drain +1 and a ranged attack.