March 29, 2024, 09:22:33 AM

Author Topic: Alternate Necromancer  (Read 47158 times)

Gregstrom

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Necromancer
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2014, 06:45:10 AM »
I'd like to see an alternate druid with a focus on fungus.  Mycelium instead of vines perhaps, spore effects, and all sorts of saprophytic goodness.

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2014, 01:58:09 PM »
The Idea of a mummy Cleopatra sounds so very pleasing, her body could be covered as much with bandages as the druid is with vines, revealing a bit of her rotten flesh and bones - I am weird, i know

The suggested Flame+2 trait seems legit and there could be some Anubis-like Gods and the already mentioned scarab swarm *-*...oh i'd love that! Her ability should not be yet another Pet, i think there are plenty of mages with a pet-ability. Maybe something like treebond but with a Sphinx/Pyramid-Gravespawnpoint, giving her regenerate or channeling.

A Fungus-Druid is also a neat idea lore wise, but as the existing Druid is also focussed around poison i guess it would be more of the same.
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

Sand Goblin

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 03:29:52 PM »
There's a lot to work with there.  I really like some of these ideas. 

Mummies, sure.  (All with Flame +2)  8)
Scarabs / carrion beetles.  I like the idea of an insect swarm. 
More ghosts or spirits.
By the time we get an alt. necro, terrain should be in the game.  How about sand dunes or sandstorms that obscure your creatures from the enemy until it's too late?  We already have fog-type stuff, sure, but sand would be more thematic.  Or if we wanted to keep it in-school, how about black mist?  Maybe an ability could be to spread it similar to the druid's vines? 

Here's a question: do you think we'd get the alt. druid in the same set?  And what would the alt. druid look like?
Is it possible that the alt. necro could be trained in level 1/2 earth spells, and therefore, have sandstorm stuff?  One of my favorite SW factions is the Sand goblins, so I would LOVE an undead Egyptian necromancer.

I think that an Egyptian necro would be able to choose between mummies and spirits for his main.  His specialty creatures would be various undead insects and animals, and he could also do alchemy and/or sand magic on the side, just like the necro with poison.  He would have to have a giant Anubis-Jackal type monster.       
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 03:35:32 PM by Sand Goblin »

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »
Every alternate mage have same schools of magic as his predecessor so i would not count too much on a earth school addition.

• Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 09:32:29 PM »
What if they made a necro that had no creatures and he only used dead enemy creatures and had many death and rotting balls.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 08:04:56 AM »
What if they made a necro that had no creatures and he only used dead enemy creatures and had many death and rotting balls.

It's tough to make a Mage that relies on your opponent like that. There are two big issues with doing that. First, the mirror match would be ... problematic. Second, anyone not playing creatures really puts your strategy at a disadvantage.

It's cool to try non-standard mages, but you have to be careful, or you're at your opponent's mercy.

flamespeak

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 12:03:44 AM »
An edlritch abomination focused type necromancer to expand on the illithid larva mechnic would be a nice touch or something to deal with heavy with the vampire theme, a lot of vampiric strike creatures  and the like.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2014, 07:11:03 AM »
Only problem is that in mage wars vampire does not necessarily mean undead. Furthermore, how many eldritch abominations can you have in play in the first place? Eldritch abominations, if they existed in Mage Wars would be very powerful. For a mage to be entirely centered around them would just be...*shudders in horror*
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2014, 07:20:41 AM »
Too much Vampiric and you will be stoped just one non-living creature :)
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »
Never going to happen but...
a necromancer trained in all living creatures AND she can't cast living creatures herself AND she has [mwcard=DNI01]Animate Dead[/mwcard] as a spell on her mage card(like the wizards arcane zap) but it can only use living creatures in her spellbook rather than from the discard pile.

or maybe an alternate spawnpoint which casts any living creature, but it comes out with a zombie marker.

I want to be able to make a creature specific zombie without having to summon and kill it first.
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2015, 03:31:49 PM »
I agree... mummies sound cool... but aren't there enough Dark creatures already (let alone Dark-trained Mages)? I've got a box full of Dark creatures that I never use... and I have spellbooks put together for two Dark-Trained Mages already.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Phillus

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2015, 08:13:48 PM »
I'd like to see an alternate druid with a focus on fungus.  Mycelium instead of vines perhaps, spore effects, and all sorts of saprophytic goodness.
I really love mushrooms. I feel like Ichthellids are mind controlled fungi insects.

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2015, 02:46:47 AM »
That would not explain dark school :)

I hope we will see more Ichterlids in future and that Ladiffance will get wild with his "Swarm" mage idea :) (long live the spider queen!!!)

Coshade

• Arcane Duels Host
  • Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 6
    • View Profile
    • Arcane Duels!
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2015, 01:30:43 AM »
Could there be a non-living mage? Just a Necromancer that is full blown back from the dead with his undead critters?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2015, 05:40:37 AM »
Could there be a non-living mage? Just a Necromancer that is full blown back from the dead with his undead critters?

I think this could be interesting if the mage was a spirit and incorporeal. This would be one of the mage abilities.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 06:19:21 AM by wtcannonjr »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin